GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY-Front License Plate Holder On a GTI

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Good job on the placement! I remember when I ordered my '98 Audi and specified NO FRONT LICENSE PLATE HOLDER! They did it anyway.
Keep up the good work!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Bastids!

rickerbr

Ready to race!
Texas_MkV said:
I appreciate it. I do agree with the Rubber Washer problem, especially here in Texas. I am still trying to come up with a better solution, but have not had one yet. It is really difficult to take the plate off and on, hopefully I can come up with something easier. Until then, this is going to have to do. :thumbsup:

I'm shamelessly stealing your idea, but I'm toying with a few improvements -

1. Replace the carriage bolts with 1/4-20 machine screws (ie. hex head threaded all the way) and flip it around. Home Despot (at least in Lewisville) doesn't have any longer than 1.5" that are threaded this way. May have to go to a fastener store to get these. Bolt head is behind the grill and the tag is held on with a nut. Double nut behind the tag so that way with 2 wrenches I can hold the nuts behind the plate and remove the outer nut to remove the plate, but leave the bolts in place. This is for days when I need extra cooling (e.g. if I was going to hypothetically track the car).

2. I'm going to drill and cut a rubber stopper for the washers. The HD washers are just too thin to be of practical use for any length of time.

All of this is dependant on getting my plates, my 21 days are up on Monday and I still don't have permanent plates yet. Denton County is notoriously slow though.

Moose

Ready to race!
I zip-stripped mine into my grill... only concern is blocking off the airflow through the bottom grill. Anyone know of any problems resulting from the limited airflow?

Just trying to protect my new baby

I heard that someone came up with a plate holder that alot of SRT4 owners were using. It is similar to the CD holders that you put on your sunvisor. This one you put on your passenger sunvisor, and when you put the visor down, the plate is displayed.
did some searching and found this...
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161238

Porschephile 924

mmmmmm... Boost......
Car(s)
1988 944 Turbo S
In colorado, the cops won't bother pulling you over if you don't have a front plate... the meter maids in Denver will nail you every time... so as long as you park in a private lot in Denver, you're safe!

I'm gonna specify when I order mine that the front plate isn't mounted... and I'll toss it in the trunk, as well as the plate bracket.. then if I get penalized for it, I can say, "Officer, the dealer never put it on... I've got the plate and bracket in the trunk, and I'd be more than happy to get it mounted, I've just not had the time to get to the dealership..."