GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Parking/E-Brake Adjustment

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
Well the car is originally from SC and previous owner apparently moved down here to Miami. Idk if the car ever saw snow with him...I know it hasn't seen snow with me. I pretty much live on the west end of Miami so I am about 30 minutes from the beach but I have gone to the beach a couple times with this car...however I don't go swimming with the car lol..it normally stays in a parking garage. I use the parking brake every time I get out of the car whether on an incline/decline or leveled surface. I honestly don't know how old my brakes are since I got the car July of last year and it had 75K. I am now at 85.

2 turns was too much for me since the handle is a bit loose now so I have to get back in there and tighten it. The brakes are still rubbing and still only do just over 1 rotation. I'll check the brakes and brake lines next week when I have a bit more time and an extra hand pair of hands to help me out.

Thanks for the info.

phil miller

TDI Fantastic
Car(s)
VW Golf mk5 TDI
IIRC when the car was made the armrest rattled on the testing so they used tape, basicly when the cars new if you go back with a rattle and its the armrest they put tape on it

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I'm not sure how to describe this clearly but according to the Bentley manual you adjust the parking brake nut shown in the picture above until there is between 1 to 3mm of distance between the arm you see moving on the caliper and the flat surface it would rest against when the ebrake is not engadged. I'd post a pic of the manual but I don't have it handy at the moment.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
No, at the actual caliper.

Borrowed this picture from ECS (marvel at the mad MS Paint skills!)

anile_eight

Go Kart Champion
It's funny referencing your own DIY haha. I had to adjust it again as I replaced the pads and rotors in the rear. The brake was dragging a lot.

fastwire

Ready to race!
just did this on the A3, its only needed to remove the ash tray and lower panel, and the 10mm wrench.
Tightened one full turn because the parking brake was too long or inneficient.