GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ED30 DSG vs Impreza WRX STI (hatch)

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Been a while and I wasn't gonna post because it was nothing impressive, his car was stock which means 310 crank hp.

Anyway just in case anyone's wondering what a tuned K04 can do on a dig race against one of these, I decided since he was a random guy I found at a light and I obviously wasn't prepared to film (I'm no paranoid I don't drive around with a camera looking for races), I'll make it short and to the point.

So red light empty road, we decide to dig race on green. No launch control for me too much torque even for semi slicks, ESP off and trying to control throttle for better dig. His AWD gave him about 2-3 cars up to the top of my 2nd gear. Held him there for a second, throughout 3rd I reel him in, come 4th we're side by side, throughout 4th come 5th and up to about 210 km/h (say 130 mph) I'm 3 cars ahead and that was the end of the straight.

Then I wanted one from a roll to see the difference from where I had the advantage but it didn't happen. I reckon 5-6 cars from a 2nd gear roll on the same straight.

Now time for a tuned STI with just a tune and an intake like me is what I'd like to race. I hope I get my chance :biggrin:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Sounds like a fun run. Nice work!

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Nice runs man, wish they came ko4 equipped in the states.. sad face is sad.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I see one, that by all appearances is tuned, now and then. We're always going opposite directions. I too run same boost psi (26peak to 23hold), and have taken a couple stock STI's to date. If I ever catch that guy going the same direction as me, that would be fun...

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Thanks guys it was fun indeed. I was a little worried at first because it's like when you see these things you're almost positive they're tuned I dunno if it's just me but evo's and sti's I tend to think they're all tuned. So a tuned sti from a dig would've been a totally different story. So, it was my first time to race the hatch sti and it was a stock one as I found out at the next light.

I see one, that by all appearances is tuned, now and then. We're always going opposite directions. I too run same boost psi (26peak to 23hold), and have taken a couple stock STI's to date. If I ever catch that guy going the same direction as me, that would be fun...
You definitely put down more power than me even with my very aggressive tune, there is a restriction I have to get rid off called stock exhaust and while this is still on it suffocates my K04 and holds me down. Anyway I'd still like to know how you'll do against a tuned hatch sti, so if you get a chance to race him that will be very interesting. And race him from both dig and roll if it's possible. Wish we had tried a roll next but he had to go.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Thanks guys it was fun indeed. I was a little worried at first because it's like when you see these things you're almost positive they're tuned I dunno if it's just me but evo's and sti's I tend to think they're all tuned. So a tuned sti from a dig would've been a totally different story. So, it was my first time to race the hatch sti and it was a stock one as I found out at the next light.

You definitely put down more power than me even with my very aggressive tune, there is a restriction I have to get rid off called stock exhaust and while this is still on it suffocates my K04 and holds me down. Anyway I'd still like to know how you'll do against a tuned hatch sti, so if you get a chance to race him that will be very interesting. And race him from both dig and roll if it's possible. Wish we had tried a roll next but he had to go.

does the ed30 come with the same straw of a downpipe that the k03 comes with?

TSiUG

sleeper...

From what i have seen at my local drag strip tuned/bolted stock turbo STIs get down the track quickly(mid-high 12s), but usually with a trap speed of "only" 105-107. From a roll I would think most of us k04 guys could pull them pretty well.

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
From what i have seen at my local drag strip tuned/bolted stock turbo STIs get down the track quickly(mid-high 12s), but usually with a trap speed of "only" 105-107. From a roll I would think most of us k04 guys could pull them pretty well.

Hey, we need to meet up so I get some motivation to get a K04.

Sometime in the spring?

TSiUG

sleeper...

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
...Anyway I'd still like to know how you'll do against a tuned hatch sti, so if you get a chance to race him that will be very interesting. And race him from both dig and roll if it's possible. Wish we had tried a roll next but he had to go.

Yeah, sure thing.
The stock STI guys are always surprised being beaten. That one that I keep missing is lower and has different exhaust tips. That's all I know of it so far. May need to do a U-turn next time, LOL!

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
does the ed30 come with the same straw of a downpipe that the k03 comes with?
I have no idea, but it's very restrictive I expect a huge increase with that upgrade, probably will be APR or Milltek. The list of things I need is very long haha..

Yeah, sure thing.
The stock STI guys are always surprised being beaten. That one that I keep missing is lower and has different exhaust tips. That's all I know of it so far. May need to do a U-turn next time, LOL!
Haha, the U-turn will be fun especially if he sees you doing it will be like "coming for your blood" sort of thing. :burnrubber:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Exactly!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Ran into that STI last week, but I got excited and showed my stuff a bit too early. After I did that he stayed back until he had to get into a right turn lane, and he got on it as he did so. Other than that he stayed back and wouldn't pull beside me, even after slowing for him. Try again next time.