GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going from 17" Denvers to 18" Huffs

gtimango

Passed Driver's Ed
So I bought my used 2007 GTI about 10 months ago - its the base model (with 17" Denvers) which was fine with me because it had less than 40,000km and I was more interested in getting one with low miles in good condition than one loaded with options, but now every time I see a GTI with 18" Huffs I cry a little inside because I think they look amazing.

I'll probably need new tires within the next 6 months anyway, so I was trying to figure out if it makes sense to try to find some lightly used 18" Huffs at that point (and either get tires with the wheels or just buy new ones separately).

From what I've seen I'm looking at $400-$600 for a set of used Huff's in good shape - correct? And is there another good place to buy them or is this forum the best place to look for used wheels?

What sort of difference in ride/handling is there between the 17" and 18" wheels? I know the Huffs are a fair bit heavier, but is it that noticeable?

And finally, is there any market for selling used 17" Denvers (to other VW owners maybe?) or should I just keep them in case I want to switch back down the road?

If anyone has experience switching from 17" to 18" I'd greatly appreciate your feedback.

Cheers!

blkmaggtsp74

Ready to race!
Use them as winters? Yeah, going up to 18" means a stiffer and louder ride. Not by much but you'll notice. If you'll find it anoying is impossible to say. Some do, i don't. But IMO it looks better.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
It definitely looks better! :thumbsup:

My car came with Denvers new, which was the only part of the car's spec that I didn't want. The dealership sold me some take-off Huffs, along with the Driver Gear springs, and I never looked back:

Before
before.jpg

After
after.jpg

As suggested above, maybe keep the Denvers for snow tires? Although personally, if I went with 17" snows, I'd try and find some Classix. They look much nicer.

The ride will be a little bit more jarring, and you'll have to be a bit more alert about potholes. I do feel that they impede performance a little bit over the lighter Denvers, but I'm not in a race, and I've got power to spare.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Even in SC I occasionally bend an 18" Huff. Goes with the territory. Choose a tire with a softish sidewall and they'll ride pretty decent. I run the factory Pirelli PZero Neros, they are quiet and ride well.

gtimango

Passed Driver's Ed
It definitely looks better! :thumbsup:

My car came with Denvers new, which was the only part of the car's spec that I didn't want. The dealership sold me some take-off Huffs, along with the Driver Gear springs, and I never looked back:

Before
View attachment 79547

After
View attachment 79548

As suggested above, maybe keep the Denvers for snow tires? Although personally, if I went with 17" snows, I'd try and find some Classix. They look much nicer.

The ride will be a little bit more jarring, and you'll have to be a bit more alert about potholes. I do feel that they impede performance a little bit over the lighter Denvers, but I'm not in a race, and I've got power to spare.

:wub:

In my colour and everything. Good god that looks amazing.

May I ask how much you paid for the rims from the dealership?

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
18" are a better size if you aren't going to try drop the car to the floor but if you are 17" is prob better, what ever the case I advice you to lower the car just a little atleast. it will help the cars looks unbelievably. and you defo wont have an isue selling the denvers.people are always looking for oem wheels. there is a thread rite now looking for some. here is mine with huffs at stock height and then with only with lowering springs and look at the difference.its like night and day.(litraly)n not to mention , Europe's stock height is lower then the US's. i have coils in the post but wont install untill my new wheels arrive.im telling you this as i bet you will do the same, ie miss the springs out and go straight to coils. kinda off topic but its first thing if you ask me.

Attachments

• my car stock hight.jpg
    my car stock hight.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 457
  • my golf.jpg
    my golf.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

gtimango

Passed Driver's Ed
So if I was either going to swap the 17"s for 18"s and keep the stock height/springs or keep the 17" wheels and lower the car slightly, which would you recommend?

Just don't like the look of the huge gap between the fenders and wheels. But I'm actually a fan of the look of the 17" Denvers...so maybe just lowering it a little is actually the better solution?

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
Just don't like the look of the huge gap between the fenders and wheels. But I'm actually a fan of the look of the 17" Denvers...so maybe just lowering it a little is actually the better solution?

^ this first in my opinion then you can look into wheels on the whole, not necessarily huffs, however they are a lovely stock wheel. just go coils and not springs if you can but either way you will be alot happier.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'd have to dig up the invoice and figure it out, as I had them shod with new tires at the same time. Down side is, my paperwork's down in storage, so it'll have to be another time.

I think I'd drop the car before going with 18's, if you could only afford one or the other. Getting rid of the wheel gap makes more of a difference than the rim size.

gtimango

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd have to dig up the invoice and figure it out, as I had them shod with new tires at the same time. Down side is, my paperwork's down in storage, so it'll have to be another time.

I think I'd drop the car before going with 18's, if you could only afford one or the other. Getting rid of the wheel gap makes more of a difference than the rim size.

No worries. My car dreams about being your car though :bow:

Sounds like unless I can find a cheapish set of Huffs on here (or someone looking to trade down to 17s) I'll drop it down an inch or so first and then go from there.

Thanks again for the feedback.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Huffs look neat, but they are wayyyy too heavy.
Id keep the denvers as winters and buy aftermarket wheels

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
Huffs definitely look better. 18s will ride a bit more rough than 17s will of course, since they have a shorter sidewall for the tire. In terms of performance, I don't think you'll notice a huge drop in performance. For getting around town it probably wouldn't matter, in my opinion. :thumbsup:

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
I have a set of 19 in VMR 713"s I'll sell ya

gtimango

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't want to go to 19s - I'm not usually a big fan of most aftermarket wheels, but I do love the design of the Huffs. Actually like the Denvers too...so maybe just dropping it a little makes the most sense (and then I also keep the weight down).

Quick (slightly off topic) question about lowering - if I just want to do a simple (and minimal) drop can I just buy the Eibach Pro Kit Springs (1" drop) or the H&R Sport Springs (0.75" drop) or do I need to also deal with shocks even if I'm only dropping a little...doing this mostly for looks although I assume the ride will be a little stiffer as well.

Thanks.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
The Driver Gear springs are specifically designed to work with the stock shocks, so that's a low-risk way to go. Mine were even covered under factory warranty.