GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTIfan99 mk8 GTI 380 S review and "build" thread.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I put parentheses around build, because this isn't going to be much of a build.

When I set out to build my mk7.5 Rabbit Edition, my goal was to build something that would perform similar to the mk7 Clubsport that could be autocrossed and tracked, but remain streetable. I think I made it pretty close to what I wanted, but after a track incident, I kind of lost my joy with the car and it was just one small step too far in ride quality, and not enough body control for what I'd lost. I was happy with the power and consistency, but I just couldn't get the suspension quite right handling wise and gain back some of the rotation of the stock car when setup for GS with a big RSB and zero toe out back. No matter I did, either too loose or too tight, and I'm usually pretty good at setting up a car. I tried not to get it too low, but I think that was the issue, these things HATE being lowered from a handling and performance standpoint.

This "build" will be on a 2024 380 S and won't just be performance mods, but also some convenience mods. It already comes with CS springs, bushing and rsb, and 380 comes with dcc, so I feel like I'm already part way there.

I'll detail my plan and thoughts and try to give insight into how to and it's any good. This will be a slow process, so don't expect Acadia levels of content or riceburning of the car 5 times during the thread.
20240307_154248.jpg
20240307_154300.jpg
20240307_154349.jpg
20240303_094206.jpg
20240302_174717.jpg

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
First I want to review the 2024 GTI 380 S vs modded 19 Rabbit Edition vs stock Rabbit Edition.

24 GTI 380 S
The 380 is a base GTI that comes with a few extras. I got it graphite gray, which is unique to the 380 in the US, but a color used in Europe on various models.

Most notable options

-Mk8 R wheels in gloss black with 235 35 19 Bridgestone S005 summer tires. Much better than the AS Hankooks or Bridgestones that came on my 18 S or 19 Rabbit Edition.
-Black roof and mirror caps. Not earth shattering.
-DCC suspension- In Sport mode, they ride similar to my koni sports with similar spring rates. In comfort, even with 19's, they ride much better. Whether in sport or comfort, they resist dive and squat better than the Koni Sports.
-Folding mirrors - I would have traded for keyless entry in a heartbeat.
-ACC and lane keeping. Love the ACC, lane keeping is turned off.
-Puddle lights - why puddle lights and folding mirrors over keyless entry. Stupid marketing department.
-Wireless phone charger - Why? Without wireless Android Auto or Carplay, it's useless.

I think that's the extent of the options over the normal GTI S.

Some interesting, and very noticeable, deferences between mk7 and mk8.

-All mk8's gets the mk7 Clubsport springs, bushings, and rear sway bar. It's immediately noticeable. Body control and balance are much better. Both my mk7.5's massively understeered stock and had large amounts of dive, squat and roll.
-All mk8 get the aluminum front subframe. Even though weight looks about the same, the front end of the mk8 just turns in better and feels lighter.
- The new buttonless interior. I thought I was going to hate it, but I love it. Mind you, I have a volume knob, and not that stupid slider. I would hate that, not being lighted.
-Lighted overhead console, after an absence of lights in the mk7.5.
- No manual hand brake. Will make rear pad changes harder, but otherwise, meh, not too upset. It really cleans up the interior.
-Square shift knob - what marketing genius came up with this. I replaced the shift knob in less than 12 hours after purchase.
-mk8 manuals get the mk7 R clutch and pressure plate. It is firmer, has better and more consistent engagement. Loving it.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mk8 vs stock mk7.5

The mk8 is much stronger acceleration wise, than the mk7.5's 220 or 228hp variants and feeling like a stg 1 mk7 in first and second gear, but falls off in 3rd, which is odd. Body control and precision much improved. Steering is heavier, but otherwise no real difference. Brake pedal more firm, sounds like this was an ABS module change that accomplished this. Otherwise, brakes feel the same. Interior room feels better, they made the dash take up less room and I'm all for it. It is a little extra arm stretch to get to the infotainment though. Seats feel similar. Have more lumbar support prior to adjusting the lumbar level, but the add lumbar from the adjustment is higher than the mk7.5's and become uncomfortable thoracic support. I'm 5'10", so this was likely a change due to taller drivers in the mk7. You can't make everyone happy, but I think these are a good compromise.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mk8 vs modded mk7.5

My modded 19 Rabbit Edition 6 spd manual- EQT Stg 1 91 Oct tune, Mishimoto SMIC, BL PCV, BMS CC, Neuspeed dogbone insert, APR front springs, MSS rear adjustable springs (60mm ID, 6k, 6in), Eurosport Camber Kit with slotted strut housing, Koni Sports, , H&R 26mm RSB, Moog endlinks, Brembo 4 Pot front calipers, 345mm mk6 R discs, RS3 brake deflectors, DDocks phone holder, JL C1 speakers, Neuspeed RSe16 17 x 8.5 +45, 255/40 17 RT660. PowerFlex black offset LCA bushings

I haven't driven the mk8 on track or autocross yet, but I'll give street impressions.

My modded Rabbit was firmer, more roll, more brake bite, slightly softer brake pedal, clutch way lighter and inconsistent. Front end had more bite in old car, but you could feel the weight more, if that makes sense? I had -2.8 camber up front. Obviously, the acceleration was stronger in the Rabbit, but especially in 3rd gear, the modded car loved the 3rd gear long pull.

The mk8 needs some JL speaker.

So basically, I lost 3rd gear and above acceleration, but gained much better body and motion control. I'm also loving the 380 S interior and it's very civilized on the road.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Based on first week of ownership, what's the plan?

1. I've already replaced the shift knob less than 12 hours in. Already 1000% better. 🤣
2. I've update my Cobb AP from mk7 to mk8. It cost $150 and is done remotely through their desktop application. Not going to flash the car until breakin completed.
3. Ordered 235 35 19 RE71RS autocross tires. Had a buddy stop autocrossing his mk7 R in DS, and I was trying to pick up his 18 x 8's with RT660's, but he sold them. 😪 I'll just slap some 200tw on the stock wheels for now.

I want to run the car in Autocross in GS, so I'll be unmarrying the AP once a month to stay legal.

But I also want to track it, so I'll be getting creative.

Looking at a set of mk7 Clubsport 2 piece rotors from FCP. About $600 a set, but I can swap them on just for track days and only break in pads once.
Hoping xp10 pads from old PP fit the new car. They should. I'll run stock front pads and rotors for autocross and the CS rotors, xp10 pads and RS3 deflectors on track, along with a 91 Oct stg 1 tune. Looking for a better rear pad that isn't too loud on street, not sure what fits the new rear calipers, I'll need to do some research.

I'm going to put some seat time in the car first, then decide if it needs a rear sway bar or not.

Convenience stuff.
1. Wireless Android Auto dongle.
2. See about adding keyless door handles and see if they can be coded to work.
3. JL C1 speakers. Had them in the 19 and they made a huge difference, even with just the stock head unit.

Those three items are me only real complaints about the cars spec. I would have paid $500 to $1000 more to get them.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So wrap up. I'm going to keep updating this thread as I get more time in the car, but overall, I can't find a lot to complain about with the mk8 or the 380 in particular. It's dynamically better than the mk7 in every way, except maybe the infotainment, and it's still pretty good.

I can't speak to other trims, but the 380 S feels almost perfect, just let down by a couple VWoA marketing managers that made dubious trade offs to add puddle lights and automatic folding mirrors. It's almost like Acadia works at VW.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll update as I go.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Excellent notes. Agreed on the stock-for-stock differences between mk8 and mk7.

Re: 3rd gear power drop off: I bet that’s the stock intercooler making itself known. It appears to be pretty much the same unit as that in the mk7/7.5, but this powertrain is running slightly higher boost.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Looking at a set of mk7 Clubsport 2 piece rotors from FCP. About $600 a set, but I can swap them on just for track days and only break in pads once.
Hoping xp10 pads from old PP fit the new car. They should. I'll run stock front pads and rotors for autocross and the CS rotors, xp10 pads and RS3 deflectors on track, along with a 91 Oct stg 1 tune.
Don't think FCP has them but the T-roc R rotors are 2-piece but pillar vaned, so one side isn't backwards: 5Q0615301P

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Don't think FCP has them but the T-roc R rotors are 2-piece but pillar vaned, so one side isn't backwards: 5Q0615301P
I want to stick to FCP availability, to save on replacement costs.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
just get centric/brembo blanks then, why mess around with drilled bling rotors?
You're probably right, but was looking at the 2 piece, some titanium spacers, RS3 deflectors, because I'm going to have to use the stock calipers. I'd keep the 2 piece for track only and use stockers for street and autocross, you're probably right, blanks make more sense.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Excellent notes. Agreed on the stock-for-stock differences between mk8 and mk7.

Re: 3rd gear power drop off: I bet that’s the stock intercooler making itself known. It appears to be pretty much the same unit as that in the mk7/7.5, but this powertrain is running slightly higher boost.
With DSG, are you feeling any big drop off in 3rd, probably 4th for you, based on gearing?