GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

is a 19yr old getting a mk7 GTI wise?

sepherioth5

I was considering getting a GTI as my next car but I'm worried about high insurance I've never had any accidents or tickets but will it make a big difference considering my younger age. I've heard "horror stories" about GTI's needing to go to a mechanic constantly but I hardly believe that will be the case for a new car. I want a sporty ride and was wondering if it would be a sound buy. I drive less than 6,000 miles a year and my current car is a 2013 Honda Civic. The fastest thing I have ever driven before this was probably my brothers old 5 cylinder Jetta which felt pretty sensitive to the throttle and was a hell of out lot of fun to drive compared to the Civic lol

Last edited:

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
I don't think a GTI sends up red flags to the insurance companies like a vette would. You can call them and get a price quote before you buy.

Color

I would check out and compare some insurance quotes. Most companies should allow you to do so online.

As for the car itself, it's a solid buy. I'm coming from a 1989 Honda CRX but needed something more practical but still fun. After a ton of research I found that the GTI fits the bill for me - it's not only fun and practical but also relatively luxurious yet cheap. If you're unsure, there's a ton of reviews on youtube that you can check out as well.

Good luck!

sepherioth5

Thank you, I really appreciate the reply. I honestly think it's a good buy I picked it among a litter of sportscars and I believe the GTI Mk7 excels in everything and is actually practical

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ask your insurance agent about rates and if 2 or 4 door matters.
If you can afford the GTI get one. It would have been a dream for me at your age.
As with any car always be prepared to do maintenance that might come up.
Something can come up on any car. You will have a warranty but one never
knows what will need to be covered.
At your age driving a GTI would be great.
But as I am 50 would you be driving an old persons car or am I driving a young persons car?
That is what makes the GTI a good pick.

Color

Thank you, I really appreciate the reply. I honestly think it's a good buy I picked it among a litter of sportscars and I believe the GTI Mk7 excels in everything and is actually practical

Good on you man,

I'm 22 myself and I think a lot of people around our age overlook the GTI and the value of practicality. Too many of my friends have sports cars that get poor mpg or lack rear seats and cargo space. I think with the GTI you sacrifice some of the raw driving experience you get from other sport cars but it really is a refined and balanced vehicle with a lot of potential.

I've been driving mine around for a bit over a month now and have no regrets.

sepherioth5

Ask your insurance agent about rates and if 2 or 4 door matters.
If you can afford the GTI get one. It would have been a dream for me at your age.
As with any car always be prepared to do maintenance that might come up.
Something can come up on any car. You will have a warranty but one never
knows what will need to be covered.
At your age driving a GTI would be great.
But as I am 50 would you be driving an old persons car or am I driving a young persons car?
That is what makes the GTI a good pick.
Hey, if this is what the old folk are driving then they still got it going on and have good taste.

(oz)

Passed Driver's Ed
I drive less than 6,000 miles a year and my current car is a 2013 Honda Civic.

I can't offer any new advice in addition to getting quotes (check to see if car color makes any difference?), but be aware that these cars are so much fun to drive that you'd very likely exceed your normal yearly milage :D.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I was 18 when I bought my 2007 GTI. It was a CPO with 40K miles and my monthly payment was $480 a month. I have had the car for about five and a half years all through high school, college, and my first real job. The GTI is a great car. It's practical, good on gas, fun, and safe for a young kid who will no undoubtedly do something stupid. The cars will under-steer at the limit which for a new driver is good because it's predictable.

Also in college it doesn't attract much attention because people just think it's an economy hatchback. I've seen peoples mustangs and STI's get messed up pretty bad when left in college apartment parking lots. If I had to go over and do it again I would have. $480 was kind of hard to do as a full-time student but it's do-able

sepherioth5

I was 18 when I bought my 2007 GTI. It was a CPO with 40K miles and my monthly payment was $480 a month. I have had the car for about five and a half years all through high school, college, and my first real job. The GTI is a great car. It's practical, good on gas, fun, and safe for a young kid who will no undoubtedly do something stupid. The cars will under-steer at the limit which for a new driver is good because it's predictable.

Also in college it doesn't attract much attention because people just think it's an economy hatchback. I've seen peoples mustangs and STI's get messed up pretty bad when left in college apartment parking lots. If I had to go over and do it again I would have. $480 was kind of hard to do as a full-time student but it's do-able
I had that EXACT fear of buying a new car getting keyed at a campus parking lot or something. I love the fact the GTI is fun powerful and does not attract a lot of attention to it.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I've bought my mk6 GTI when I was 20 years old in my 2nd year of college, I came from a 2004 Acura TSX auto. I would say it's a good car to start with, my mk6 taught me a lot about driving enjoyment and you don't necessarily need pure power to have fun, but different strokes. It is also understated for what it is, most people see it as something equivalent of a regular focus and mazda 3 hatch, that's partly a good thing cause you don't really get on cops radar. It isn't the best sports car, I mean not car that's in it's price is considered the best of one category, however, it is one of the best performance allrounders with versitality in it's price range; Focus ST is close second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Its all a bit different in the UK to the US.....its not unusual in the US for someone realatively young to drive around in a large capacity/large output car as you guys tend to do everything a little "bigger" than we do here.

Most of our youngsters unless they have money or their parent themselves are tend to end up in several year old superminis, v few making even 100 horses. Was some time ago but my first three cars made a whole 45 horsepower...but I have to say I really learnt how to drive running around in those things for a few years.

Kids now have it so much better as is the rate of change.....the several year old cars they end up with now are the kind of cars I bought new/nearly new as my first "decent car 10/12 years ago and are still pretty decent by todays standards in that they are easy to drive, relatively safe (airbags and ABS), still mostly reliable and have all the electric gubbins and AC...things most of my generation had to do without.

Here a 19 year old in a new GTI would be faced with a several thou £/year insurance premium....a new GTI costs close to £30k as well so its a rare sight here. Im personally of the mind that a 19 year old running around in a 220/230hp car as their first wheels in general isnt the best idea but it depends on the individual.....if they are sensible and good behind the wheel I dont see the problem....if they are immature, will treat it like shit and drive it until the wheels fall off or worse kill themselves and their friends who are likely with them then its an absolute no-no.

I know a guy whose first wheels at about 17 was an Audi TT 3.2 quattro DSG.....couple of years later graduated to a phase 2 996 Turbo.....not long after an Audi R8 V8 and now he has a Gallardo Spyder and I'm not sure he is even 30 yet......but he's still alive and kicking and Ive never heard of him getting in any serious trouble in any of them. Family money allowed him to acquire these cars and I think he did it to have fun whilst he was young which is fair enough.....though I'd have thrown it into property/investments myself but we are all different.