GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there any OEM-looking options for a US owner with a mirrorlink incompatible phone for headunit upgrade/nav?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
A quick update (I still owe pictures and a proper review). The OBDII addon is a waste of money. It's a small bluetooth module that plugs into the OBDII port to relay vehicle specific information to the head unit. You must download an app called Torque (there may be others that are compatible, but I haven't confirmed). The app is awful, and it's not free, it looks to be about 20 years old, it's ugly, and I didn't even bother downloading the real version because I could tell right away that it was garbage.

I'll look to see if there are any modern apps that are compatible that could show some helpful info, but even without it the head unit will display open doors, KPH, RPM, etc. There is a quirk that doesn't allow me to change from KPH to MPH, or from celicius to farenheit, hopefully I come up with a solution, but it isn't relevant to anything I really use on the head unit at the moment anyway.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
A quick update (I still owe pictures and a proper review). The OBDII addon is a waste of money. It's a small bluetooth module that plugs into the OBDII port to relay vehicle specific information to the head unit. You must download an app called Torque (there may be others that are compatible, but I haven't confirmed). The app is awful, and it's not free, it looks to be about 20 years old, it's ugly, and I didn't even bother downloading the real version because I could tell right away that it was garbage.

I'll look to see if there are any modern apps that are compatible that could show some helpful info, but even without it the head unit will display open doors, KPH, RPM, etc. There is a quirk that doesn't allow me to change from KPH to MPH, or from celicius to farenheit, hopefully I come up with a solution, but it isn't relevant to anything I really use on the head unit at the moment anyway.
Damn that kinda sucks. Hopefully there's a solution. I have a p3 gauge installed in my driver-side vent currently, wouldn't mind swapping it if I could get the same readout on the HU, but I definitely don't want to pay a fee to use an included feature. Not being able to swap from C to F and kph to mph seems like an oversight they should've rectified years ago considering how long this headunit has been on the market for.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Damn that kinda sucks. Hopefully there's a solution. I have a p3 gauge installed in my driver-side vent currently, wouldn't mind swapping it if I could get the same readout on the HU, but I definitely don't want to pay a fee to use an included feature. Not being able to swap from C to F and kph to mph seems like an oversight they should've rectified years ago considering how long this headunit has been on the market for.
I agree, luckily for me I have no need to show any of this information on my head unit since it's already on my dash. There are a few situaitons where it could be annoying, if you are using a weather widget on your head unit for example. I have read about people uploading a particular file that overrides the unit issue, but I haven't looked into it much yet, so I'm not sure how practical of a solution it is.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I agree, luckily for me I have no need to show any of this information on my head unit since it's already on my dash. There are a few situaitons where it could be annoying, if you are using a weather widget on your head unit for example. I have read about people uploading a particular file that overrides the unit issue, but I haven't looked into it much yet, so I'm not sure how practical of a solution it is.
Any new developments? I keep going back and forth on this one and the RCD330+

Check out any of the jailbreak modifications for it yet?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Any new developments? I keep going back and forth on this one and the RCD330+

Check out any of the jailbreak modifications for it yet?
No, I don't even use the widgets that have the wrong units, so that's very low on the priority list, and I have absolutely no intention of jailbreaking it. There seem to be plenty of launchers that people like more than what it ships with, but I'm a long way from worrying about that. For a while I'm going to be busy with a microphone tuning the stereo.

Joying is very responsive to my emails though, obviously there is a time difference, so I wake up to an email, respond if needed, and wake up to a reply in the morning. They have always responded to my emails.

I will say that this stereo isn't perfect, but neither are the flagship models from the big companies. I used top tier Pioneer, Kenwood, and Sony before this and they all had some drawbacks. This Joying isn't perfect either, but the android OS makes it very liklely that fixes will become available for everything at some point. I hope so at least...

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
No, I don't even use the widgets that have the wrong units, so that's very low on the priority list, and I have absolutely no intention of jailbreaking it. There seem to be plenty of launchers that people like more than what it ships with, but I'm a long way from worrying about that. For a while I'm going to be busy with a microphone tuning the stereo.

Joying is very responsive to my emails though, obviously there is a time difference, so I wake up to an email, respond if needed, and wake up to a reply in the morning. They have always responded to my emails.

I will say that this stereo isn't perfect, but neither are the flagship models from the big companies. I used top tier Pioneer, Kenwood, and Sony before this and they all had some drawbacks. This Joying isn't perfect either, but the android OS makes it very liklely that fixes will become available for everything at some point. I hope so at least...
Very true, I personally like the option to not have to have my fucking phone connected to it at all times just for basic functionality. The RCD330+ has you plug that sucker into the front fascia like it's 2010 all over again. I like that the 330+ is OEM, but damn if that isn't a step back from the direction that should've gone. How's music sound compared to your old unit? I noticed a few reports of a hiss, and weak sound output but that was a bit ago. Did they rectify that?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Sound quality is to be determined. I'm working with their support team to resolve a potential major problem. There is no noise problems, but I'm running digital coax to a DSP, so there wouldn't be any noise.

Best thing I can say right now is DO NOT BUY! Support has been very good, but if some of these things I'm experiencing can't be fixed with some simple setting changes then it will be returned. I'm getting only left channel information on both the left and right sides, basically left mono.

I've fixed this issue. It was a setting problem. I would suggest not to mess with any settings unless you know exactly what they do. There is no real literature explaining the settings, so if you start to experiment you'll end up with a mess, haha.

Last edited:

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Sound quality is to be determined. I'm working with their support team to resolve a potential major problem. There is no noise problems, but I'm running digital coax to a DSP, so there wouldn't be any noise.

Best thing I can say right now is DO NOT BUY! Support has been very good, but if some of these things I'm experiencing can't be fixed with some simple setting changes then it will be returned. I'm getting only left channel information on both the left and right sides, basically left mono.

I've fixed this issue. It was a setting problem. I would suggest not to mess with any settings unless you know exactly what they do. There is no real literature explaining the settings, so if you start to experiment you'll end up with a mess, haha.
Jesus lol, been through the ringer there eh? Is your take still to not buy the unit or was it user error that was causing the problem?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Jesus lol, been through the ringer there eh? Is your take still to not buy the unit or was it user error that was causing the problem?
It was a setting issue, but the documentation on the settings is really poor, so the problem is fixed. Just be careful with the settings sometimes it's not obvious if the setting is on or off, and it's not obvious what some of the settings do.

Despite the headaches with the settings it's a good head unit. I'm still putting it through it's paces, and as of now there's only one issue that's bugging me. It doesn't like to switch between FM radio and carplay audio. When listening to FM, and using Carplay to listen to, or respond to texts, the text audio doesn't play. You have to engage something in Carplay for audio first. For example you would have to start playing a song in spotify before the text audio works. This isn't frequently a problem, since I don't listen to FM much, but it's annoying. I'm betting a different FM app, or an update would fix it.

That's really the only issue that's bothering me right now. Not being able to change the units is dumb, but I don't use any of the widgets that show this info, so it doesn't matter in my case.

zrickety

The Fixer
I checked crutchfield as some recommended and I really do hate those boxy style double dins that have been the aftermarket go-to for over a decade, and was hoping to find something like the RCD330G that could function in the US as a head and nav unit. I currently have a RNS315 from factory, but the headunit's screen has bleached out and cracked due to sunlight exposure I assume. I was thinking of popping in another RNS315 but I figured I'd see what my options were. The RCD330G looks pretty solid, but I hear it's not too friendly with non-NA drivers, or phones that don't support mirrorlink (I use OnePlus).

Is my only real option the RNS310 or RNS510?
There are some decent Android-based units on eBay, if you don't want to spend a fortune.
I've tried 2 of them, the sound is good and you can get them plug and play.
I don't use mirror link but I've seen them.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
There are some decent Android-based units on eBay, if you don't want to spend a fortune.
I've tried 2 of them, the sound is good and you can get them plug and play.
I don't use mirror link but I've seen them.
Yeah I think mirrorlink is dying which is good, I have better luck with an Android Auto unit. Probably will go with the Joying posted above.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I have an rcd360 pro. It has carplay and android auto works great with my One plus 8. Also installed a cheap backup cam with it everything works perfectly. The rcd360s are like $100 cheaper than the 330g because they aren't real OEM units. They basically take a radio out of an mqb platform car and hack it up to fit older models with a non OEM faceplate and custom firmware. Outside of that the functionality is mostly the same as the 330s but no aux port.