GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Light Painting Thread

Grmncrsnbr

SaurKimchi
Car(s)
2012 Kia Optima

^I just cannot get those kind of results with my LED's. I don't have $300 for a strobe though. I'll keep on keepin on.

IMG_4962_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Suggestion for these pics, the white balance is off and it ruins it for me. Start with a picture to capture the background, then use layers to add in the light painting of the car. This way you can control the white balance of each shot so they match up in the end. If the background lights were the same temperature as the light painting source it would make this picture a lot better in my opinion.

2006UG

<ding dong>
Composite of twelve 30s exposures, lit by a crappy led flashlight in a completely dark garage. Since it was my first time, I took something around 50 different shots, so I can edit a bunch of different ones haha.

Any input welcome. Unless you're a dick. Don't be a dick.

First Ever Light Painting by adampichler, on Flickr

Last edited:

VrstewartW

What is a Ronaldo?

2006UG

<ding dong>
Only thing I would change is the squiggly light trail on the body of the car. The lighting itself looks great, just try and follow the body lines of the car next round.

Thanks. I tried to have it follow the body lines, but it's so hard to walk with the flashlight for 30 seconds and hold it at the same level. If I had something brighter/larger to work with I could have moved quicker.

That shot is awesome! How did you light the front with it so close to the wall? Did you use a soft box?

VrstewartW

What is a Ronaldo?
Thanks. I tried to have it follow the body lines, but it's so hard to walk with the flashlight for 30 seconds and hold it at the same level. If I had something brighter/larger to work with I could have moved quicker.

That shot is awesome! How did you light the front with it so close to the wall? Did you use a soft box?

I use a little LED light panel with a diffuser but there was room to walk past the front fender and light it all up.

2006UG

<ding dong>
I've been looking for a better light source. Something like a led battery powered work light?
Or are you using a led panel specifically for photography? What did you use as a diffuser?

I know there are some super expensive led light panels for photography that let you adjust the hue and temperature. Kinda cool, but totally overkill if you're shooting when it's totally dark and white balance is easily adjustable in raw.

lyonsroar

GTI newb...
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I've been looking for a better light source. Something like a led battery powered work light?
Or are you using a led panel specifically for photography? What did you use as a diffuser?

I know there are some super expensive led light panels for photography that let you adjust the hue and temperature. Kinda cool, but totally overkill if you're shooting when it's totally dark and white balance is easily adjustable in raw.

This picture:

[/url]
IMG_5040_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr[/IMG]

was lit with this $30 halogen worklight I bought at Lowes.

And then taped into a cheapo cowboy studio diffuser.

2006UG

<ding dong>
Nice. How much was the softbox? How many exposures and for how long?
Did you set the white balance before shooting or adjust everything in post with raw?