GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

lowering springs stock struts..Problem?

davidl351

Passed Driver's Ed
there is an approved and backed alternative for people who can't afford a/m shocks.

get driver's gear springs (Eibach Pro-kit). they're installed by the dealer and covered by a 12k mile warranty. can't go wrong with this route. :thumbsup:

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
check VW's Drivegear

Hello,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned to you, but VW has a Spring spcifically made for the MKV struts, you can check out VW's DriveGear to have it, or you can check out the dealer about those specific spring. I don't remember the part #. I'm also thinking of having this done on my car, to save the stock struts.

It'll make the car lower but not sure how low you want.

just my .02c

:thumbsup:

has any one had problems with putting lowering springs on stock struts?
i've heard that it can blow the strut out. i've also heard that there is no problem with doing this. just wondering if this is valid for a mkv.

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
there is an approved and backed alternative for people who can't afford a/m shocks.

get driver's gear springs (Eibach Pro-kit). they're installed by the dealer and covered by a 12k mile warranty. can't go wrong with this route. :thumbsup:

VW Driver Gear Springs (Eibach Pro-Kit): $265
Install Cost At Dealership (labor rate $91 per hour): $364
Alignment At Dealership: $90

Spending about $100 more than you should have for a full cup kit, priceless.

That 1yr./12k warranty is good on just your springs, shocks, and steering components. Getting the VW Driver Gear springs is a huge waste of money.

If you want to retain your stock shocks longevity and improve your car's handling slightly, while also reducing your wheel gap, go Eibach Pro-Kit.

Thread.

MkV_2.5

Ready to race!
poor + not informed + wanting to look cool = disaster.

true most of the time...

but when you install the springs and suspension yourself... I mean, why not put just springs on the stock shocks... the stock shocks won't be used after that anyways, may as well use them for the time they last... costs nothing compared to coilovers... and when they eventually blow or get to bouncy, then you get coils or sport dampers or whatever

I mean I'm not cheap or anything and had coilovers on 3 cars before.. cuz they were "old" cars... but why not use those stock shocks to the max when they are practically brand new before throwing them out.. you'll be selling them for peanuts anyways if you don't use them...

I agree, though, on the fact that if you PAY for installation, it's kinda stupid cuz you end up paying twice... and in the end it would have cost the same to get sport shocks + coils or a cup kit and ONE installation...

davidl351

Passed Driver's Ed
the driver's gear will lower the as much as the Pro-kit, which is about 1", and then some with settlement. but for performance on stock shockers, this is all you really need.

they do charge an arm & a leg for parts/labor (i believe $120/hr - ballpark figure). but keep in mind you're paying for peace of mind.

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
Hello,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned to you, but VW has a Spring spcifically made for the MKV struts, you can check out VW's DriveGear to have it, or you can check out the dealer about those specific spring. I don't remember the part #. I'm also thinking of having this done on my car, to save the stock struts.

It'll make the car lower but not sure how low you want.

just my .02c

:thumbsup:

http://www.cmgestore.com/vw08/SKUDetailsVW08F1K0071678.ASP

MkV_2.5

Ready to race!
the driver's gear will lower the as much as the Pro-kit, which is about 1", and then some with settlement. but for performance on stock shockers, this is all you really need.

they do charge an arm & a leg for parts/labor (i believe $120/hr - ballpark figure). but keep in mind you're paying for peace of mind.

they charge around 88$/hour (canadian) and will count 4 hours of installation more or less...

most VW/audi specialized speed shops will do the installation in 2 hours and charge you between 55 and 70$/hour... do the math

davidl351

Passed Driver's Ed
they charge around 88$/hour (canadian) and will count 4 hours of installation more or less...

most VW/audi specialized speed shops will do the installation in 2 hours and charge you between 55 and 70$/hour... do the math

let's see. the original poster is from New Jersey. i highly doubt he's going to drive up to a canadian VW dealer to get his springs installed.

i was quoted $120/hr from my dealer for 2 1/2 hours.

OLIGTI5

Car(s)
GTI MK5
I have my springs for almost 3 years, 30000km and no problemo :thumbup:

Attachments

• DSCN0290.jpg
    DSCN0290.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 911
  • RIMG0021.jpg
    RIMG0021.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 950

PorscheGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
let's see. the original poster is from New Jersey. i highly doubt he's going to drive up to a canadian VW dealer to get his springs installed.

i was quoted $120/hr from my dealer for 2 1/2 hours.

I do springs myself. Right now I have I get my fenders rolled. Cuz my rims poke just enough to where I can't drop it. 18s 8 wide 35 offset

polskiGTI

Ready to race!
Hey guys I got a question..

I'm lowered on SuperSports on stock struts (9500 miles) and im starting to hear clanking noises. The dealership tells me my struts are going cause of my springs and they will replace them under warranty this time. I'm just wondering how long can a person drive on bad struts? I know the ride will be bouncy but will it damage any other suspension components? I'm obviously going to get it repaired under warranty but if I could just keep driving for a little then might as well get the coils I'm almost able to get!

PorscheGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Hey guys I got a question..

I'm lowered on SuperSports on stock struts (9500 miles) and im starting to hear clanking noises. The dealership tells me my struts are going cause of my springs and they will replace them under warranty this time. I'm just wondering how long can a person drive on bad struts? I know the ride will be bouncy but will it damage any other suspension components? I'm obviously going to get it repaired under warranty but if I could just keep driving for a little then might as well get the coils I'm almost able to get!

Clickin sounds more like they sway bars. Can u feel a difference like bouncy or stiffer. Or do you just here it.
I'm on super sports and bilstien struts and I can hear a click sometimes but Its just the sway bar from the car sitting lower. Could be loose or the bushings wearing out.