GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New multimedia device (coming out July 15) Info thread

vwgtipowr

Ready to race!
The fact that it does not shut off with ignition makes me think that this is possibly the older unit? I'm guessing though. Joe would probable be the only one that could answer that.

I do believe that was one the features that was fixed for the group buy though.

Thanks for the install updates you guys rule!
Finish that install and let us know what you think?

The QA chinaman did a crappy job I think LOL

jmejiaa

Go Kart Champion
If it doesn't turn off with the key out of the ignition, neither is good.

It could be the battery and accessory cables being one wrong and the unit being connected to the battery....

My thinking is we can get an aftermarket adapter that will go from stock VW to loose wires and then we can mess with connections without splicing the stock wiring.

We'll see how it goes...

For now I guess just wait and hope for the best.

Chacolla

Ready to race!
ok, illumination still doesn't work. i didn't see any lights whatsoever that stay on after I turn it off...nothing blue, nothing red.

The buttons are working now, though. They just don't light up. I tried out a DVD and an MP3 disc so far and they both work fine. When nothing is playing and the volume is not on mute, there is a slight hiss (i think this is common though, the Waywell unit had that as well). I also tried bluetooth and it works. My brother said he could hear me fine, but I'm sure when I'm in excess of 70mph on the highway, I'm going to have to scream for people to hear me until I get an external microphone.

If I can figure out how to get it to shut off with the key and how to make the buttons illuminate, I think we may have a winner here. I also need to figure out how to route the iPod cable to the glovebox, but that's not the unit's fault..that's just me being stupid.

Daddio

Passed Driver's Ed
Removed the unit for 3+ hours per Joe's suggestion to give the unit a hard reset and it still has failed. Will not play CD DVD or display anything but BLACK. Copied igo software to different card with the same results.

jmejiaa

Go Kart Champion
Chacolla, how is ipod interface? did you try that yet?

If it takes a little playing around with the unit I will be fine. We should make a thread and all help each other out. I'm pretty savvy with these things so it will be my way of helping if I can....

Does the unit have a good wiring diagram saying what should be what?

Chacolla

Ready to race!
OK I have my brother helping me out with it now. The illumination works now! I still can't get it to turn off with the ignition...and now I noticed a new problem.

I'm having the same issue that the previous guy was having with the blue LED and the blinking red light. I don't know how to turn that off and I have a feeling that it could drain my battery if left on too long. It does not turn off at all, even when i shut and lock the doors.

Also, I checked the iPod connection for my 30gb 5.5gen iPod video. EASILY routed the cable to the glove box and it works VERY well. The interface is pretty bland and ugly and not all of the text fits, but I don't care...it's decently fast and sounds really good. It also charges the iPod...not that I 'd really care because it's always connected.

clunker

i was an early orderer, but no tracking # or surprise package from dhl yet. thats ok, joe said it could take until tuesday. yes this is all very dynamic, etc. but i think joe needs to have some grace time to correspond back and forth with the supplier several times zones away before we can get any more clarity from him.

i was expecting the front aux port - but may not matter as have an aux port in the armrest of my 09 tiguan which may be connectable.

the info page said 'front and rear ipod ports with ipod cables included', but the front miniUSB port is probably not a direct ipod hook up, and no front ipod cable supplied (apparently).

i echo the concern that the quality control check does not seem thorough (putting it charitably).

jmejiaa

Go Kart Champion
Looks like we got the old unit. Joe promised this was a new unit with most of these issues already fixed.....Sucks......

bacardicj151

Car(s)
07 GTI
Hmm thanks for the updates chacolla. This is very helpful. I hope you figure out a way for the unit to turn off with ignition. I'm pretty pumped that it charges the iPod too. Let's hope this led nonsense can be fixed too. That just a huge steal me sign for criminals