GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Wireless charger

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
Is this a dashboard-out kind of install?
AFAIK no, only center console and glovebox should be enough. Antena lives under the rear bumper and amplifier somewhere in boot, mounted with bracket 5G6971502B (hatch) or 5G9971502(SW/Variant).

Amp/booster should be here Monday, PN 4N0035456E.
Interesting think is that Amp with E have "LTE-MBC-NAR2" which can suggest that amp is "prepared" for NAR LTE frequencies?

Amp with no letter has "LTE-MBC-EU"
with "A" has "LTE-MBC-NAR"
with "B" has "LTE-MBC-CN"
with "C" has "LTE-MBC-NAR"
with "D has "LTE-MBC-EU2"
with "E has "LTE-MBC-NAR2"
with "G has "LTE-MBC-EU2"

Maybe someone have more knowledge in telecom. and knows LTE standards and differences between regions?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I looked through all of those part numbers and just chose the "E" since it seemed to be the latest with NAR, and the 2 seemed good, haha.

We didn't get this on Golf/GSWs in the states. My dealer said they couldn't even (back)order the bracket. I don't have anything else random to order from e-acca at the moment to combine shipping on the bracket that is only a few bucks. I ended up getting a module (4H0035426, that I can't use) with bracket and attached pigtail on eBay for $20 with free (I'm sure very slow) shipping from the EU. Listing claims it came out of a GTD which tracks. I'll use the bracket and the connector (new wires/pins though). Once I have everything in hand I'll order the fakra cables.

The antenna will go in the rear bumper which I have to remove anyway for the switch to 2Q0 blind spot radars and get the hitch module connector installed.

Something about a mass murder of (almost certainly) innocent feathered friends with a single stone. Makes sense crows don't trust us!

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
@Cuzoe keep us posted. I won't lie that some day would like do this mod (including wireless charging), so more info and how to is appreciated.

And I've done research about differences in LTE between regions (All the EU(2)/NAR(2)/CN stuff). According to wikipedia, it looks like this:

North America: 700, 1700, 1900 and 2100MHz
Europe: 800. 900, 1800, 2100, 2600, 3400 and 3600MHz
Asia: 1800 and 2600Mhz
South America: 2500Mhz
Australia: 1800Mhz

Conclusions:

Australia can use Asians (CN) and Europeans (EU) amplifiers as Australia only uses 1800MHz, Both CN and EU amps should support this frequency
Asia can use Europeans (EU) amps too (so why separate CN amp?)
South America theoretically should have its own amp as is only region to use 2500MHz
Between North America and Europe only one frequency is cross-compatible (2100Mhz)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Jachas I'll definitely update with how the install goes, and the length/connector type of the fakra cables. I'm not sure how I can objectively test any improvement in signal strength. There will be some subjective monitoring I can do when I go for canyon drives. There are places that have generally poor reception but where the phone does better if I'm out of the car (usually to take pictures I never post). I suppose there are apps (or maybe even something in the native android settings menu) that might show a real signal strength versus the little graphic.

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
@Jachas I'll definitely update with how the install goes, and the length/connector type of the fakra cables. I'm not sure how I can objectively test any improvement in signal strength. There will be some subjective monitoring I can do when I go for canyon drives. There are places that have generally poor reception but where the phone does better if I'm out of the car (usually to take pictures I never post). I suppose there are apps (or maybe even something in the native android settings menu) that might show a real signal strength versus the little graphic.

I cannot find info in VW documentation, but AFAIR, it amplifies the signal by around ("up to") 20-25%

I checked SSP's and ELSA/ERWIN info and it seems that in most cases, external antena for phone is located in roof aerial. Would the under bumper aerial work? In theory "antena is antena" but it's VW 🙃

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I cannot find info in VW documentation, but AFAIR, it amplifies the signal by around ("up to") 20-25%

I checked SSP's and ELSA/ERWIN info and it seems that in most cases, external antena for phone is located in roof aerial. Would the under bumper aerial work? In theory "antena is antena" but it's VW 🙃
The bumper is only plastic so it at least gets the antenna outside of the "cage" of the car. I suppose signal booster/amp could be put in line with the roof aerial but I haven't seen it done that way for this antenna. I see some of the newer cars like the Taos have this and another dual antenna thing going on.

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
I suppose signal booster/amp could be put in line with the roof aerial but I haven't seen it done that way for this antenna. I see some of the newer cars like the Taos have this and another dual antenna thing going on.

You right. In SSP always antena for booster is in roof aerial (maybe apart from Arteon SSP, where antena LTE 1 R297 is shown but no further explanation) But I checked wiring diagrams, and there are shown both antennas, R205 (roof aerial) and R297 (under the bumper) with "*". And "*" means in this case "depend on equipment" so both locations are correct (and working). Good for us ;)

BTW. Second antenna under the bumper (both are the same basically) is R306 (LTE 2) and is for OCU uni J949 (SOS and all the connectivity stuff in MIB3)