GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Wireless charger

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't have the charger with the fan but my Pixel(s) have only ever charged when facing one direction. I don't ever remember seeing he failed message, just nothing happens.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Well, I'm not sure if the "old" charger worked in both directions, but surely the phone was still turned with the camera right under usb port (LHD) and did always charge. I've never tried to turn it to the opposite direction. During the weekend I used my dad's Audi A6 C8 which has a phone box with charger in armrest console. If I remember well, the phone also charged facing only one direction - camera was directed to the boot of the car.

Anyway, I like those adjusted rubber pads. May I ask someone to provide a dimensions to cut the hole in it? I forgot to cut it before I placed everything back in place 😀 thank you

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
With the non-vented charger, I could charge the phone in both directions without any issues. With the fan/vent taking up some of the pad real estate, I'm sure that limits the phone configuration for charging given that the cubby isn't all that big.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Just wanted to provide a two-week update on this charger. I have an iPhone 15 Pro with the Apple silicone case. As noted in my post above, I had a 95% success rate of placing my phone once and immediately start charging with the non-vented pad. With the vented charging pad, I would say that I've successfully placed the phone on the pad and had it charging without adjustment about 10% of the time. I usually have to adjust the phone 3-5 times before it finally catches and starts charging without error. I've also noticed that the placement on the pad to avoid errors is inconsistent.

That being said, I'm starting to see that the fiddling may be worth it as @bobloblawGTI noted that not only will my phone charge, it will do so without ever getting relatively hot. So, is it worth $75? If you already have a Qi pad, probably not. Otherwise, if you are doing this as an initial install, I would heavily consider it. Either way, it is nice knowing that I'm avoiding heat related fatigue on my phone why still being able to use and successfully charge it.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
I almost agree, but...when using wireless Apple Carplay the phone still gets hot. Even in this relatively cold (almost spring) weather my iPhone 14 Pro in Spigen Liquid Air case got overheated on a long 400km drive with few stops. However, it charges much faster than the pad without fan.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Just wanted to provide a two-week update on this charger. I have an iPhone 15 Pro with the Apple silicone case. As noted in my post above, I had a 95% success rate of placing my phone once and immediately start charging with the non-vented pad. With the vented charging pad, I would say that I've successfully placed the phone on the pad and had it charging without adjustment about 10% of the time. I usually have to adjust the phone 3-5 times before it finally catches and starts charging without error. I've also noticed that the placement on the pad to avoid errors is inconsistent.

That being said, I'm starting to see that the fiddling may be worth it as @bobloblawGTI noted that not only will my phone charge, it will do so without ever getting relatively hot. So, is it worth $75? If you already have a Qi pad, probably not. Otherwise, if you are doing this as an initial install, I would heavily consider it. Either way, it is nice knowing that I'm avoiding heat related fatigue on my phone why still being able to use and successfully charge it.
Your experience replicates mine exactly; I'd say it successfully charges one in every ten times I place it in there. Takes a looooot of fiddling, and even then one hard stop and it'll fail again. The older charger was definitely more reliable in that regard. We had a couple warm days last week (60º F) and a 30 minute drive with CarPlay did render it back into the "I'm too hot to work correctly" realm. Biggest telltale sign (aside from physically being warm) is that Siri responses switch to a significantly degraded audio quality when the phone is too hot.

I'm keeping the old pad around for now in case I want to switch back, but looking forward to more testing once summer rolls around.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Hmm, I'll be looking forward to a warmer day test. My drives haven't exceeded 40 minutes so I haven't experienced the overheating yet. In the past day I have twice been able to place the phone once without it erroring out. Still not super successful.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I suspect it would probably cause an error message that items need to be removed and/or simply won't be strong enough, but I wonder if those MagSafe magnet stickers could help with the alignment finickiness of the wireless charger with the fan if the sticker was applied to the rubber piece.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Complete possible and probably worth trying. It is finicky though. What's weird is that you can go from having it charging just fine before you shut the car off, leave the phone in its exact place and then come back turn the car on and it will error out on you. One thing that I am trying is not using the wireless carplay adaptor. I'm wondering if having that in the cubby over the pad is causing more errors. I noticed that when I do unplug the wireless carplay adaptor the pad is less likely to error out. I need to test this some more but am going to start with that as my hypothesis. I'll report back after attempting this for a week or so.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Interesting hypothesis as @bobloblawGTI has a similar setup with the adaptor above the wireless charger. I will be curious to read how your tests go. A 10% success rate for charging on the first attempt would probably drive me insane, so I'll probably return it unless someone finds a solution for that.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Interesting hypothesis! Will also test this and see. Agreed that the fickleness of it now hampers effective usage. Not a bad idea on the MagSafe stickers also; I’ve noted the same behavior of it being in the same spot and working or not based on seemingly nothing.

One behavior I also noted is that it also won’t charge again unless removed from the pad for several seconds and re-placed; once the error pops up, simply shuffling it around on the pad is insufficient.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
I use wireless carplay adaptor, but it's not taped somewhere in the cubby. So far, I have it lying on the center console buttons while connected to USB. I can say that I found the quite good position of the phone to get it charging maybe 7/10 times, but I'm still testing.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Since my last post, I have been testing with the wireless carplay adaptor unplugged but still mounted in the cubby. As of right now, I have not observed a significant change in the success rate for placement on the pad without error. I suppose the next step will be to remove the wireless adaptor from the cubby as you have done @misor1994 to see if that has any effect. I really want this pad to work.

talkmbbs

Car(s)
T-cro
I am from China and have just installed the fan version of the wireless charging board. Its model is: 5CG980611A. I used a simple installation method, connecting No. 1 and No. 2 of the plug in parallel to the car fuse box, and other wires. There is no installation because I don't have the programming tools in hand.
So far, this charging pad is in good condition. Another thing to note is that the charging pad needs to be used with the original rubber pad in the car. If the rubber pad is not used, the phone will not be able to charge because it is too close to the charging pad. I took apart the charging board and found that it uses the cpsq8100 control chip. After checking the information, I found that this chip supports 15w charging and up to 50w private protocol charging. Its performance is very good. I am using an iPhone and it is indeed charging. The speed is much faster.
Hope the above feedback is useful to you.
Because my English is not good, the above content is from Google Translate.