GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R8 coil packs - better or worse than stock?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Blew my first coil pack last night on the way home from work. Limped it into the dealership and they verified that it was a bad coil pack, which isn't covered by my powertrain warranty.

So, given that it was on my dime, I had them install the R8 coil packs instead; part number 06E-905-115-E. This is what ECS sells for our vehicles, and most people online have said it's a better part than "stock".

Here's where it gets interesting.

They were much cheaper than the original specified replacement. $33/ea. vs. $54/ea. And they recommended against this part, on the basis that it won't last as long??

Never heard of that before, and it runs contrary to everything I've heard about the part online. So, anyone got any insight into that? I can't imagine that a part destined for a car worth four times as much as mine would be inferior.

Or does it have a much shorter indicated service life or something? Anyone?

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI

Millennium Falcon

Ready to race!
They're better in they have less resistance than OEM, I forgot the exact amount and they seem to last longer too. Worth the money.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
From what I've read they are better to use with a tune. But then I've seen people endlessly argue about it as well. Perhaps the plugs won't last as long given the stronger spark?

I paid $22 a piece for them. I suspect they cost less because they are meant to be purchased in sets of 8 or 10. Though I bet there are more of these out in the 2.0T/1.8T cars as R8s aren't exactly every day cars.

I could feel the HP increase once I replaced my old ones with the R8s. But that was probably because they were old.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I recall there being an issue with the electronics that run the coils, it threw a code for the intake flapper or some other odd part.

OEM speced ones work fine, nobody has proven they are any better, only more red.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
they recommended against this part

Of course they will, they're cheaper than the OEM ones they wanted you to buy.

I put them in my '10 TSI (at 65k mile mark) and noticed a BIG difference right away. My dealer says to keep the stock ones until a code says otherwise, but then again, dealerships won't do anything until a code is thrown.

Before coil packs, people used to change sparkplug wires all the time, so why not coil packs? :iono:

From what I've read, and how's a tech explained it to me is that the R8's offer less resistance than the VW stock coils, BUT sometimes the plugs can't handle the little extra umph being feed to them, which is sometimes why you here people talking about getting the R8/plug kit. Yet, I've also read that you need to change the electrical systems that feeds the R8's in order for them and the plugs to work properly. But whatever on that last bit, I'm not swapping out an entire electrical system for a street car.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
Ah, that's basically the same combo. I managed to do better than that deal.

I did the plugs first. After I got a tune the car started "choking" under load. When I upgraded the coils I could feel an immediate difference in performance. Though the OEM coils would probably have felt just as good since the old ones had about 60,000 miles on them.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
the old ones had about 60,000 miles on them.

A few tech's told me to change the plugs and coils every 40K to 45K regardless.

I someone has the tools, confidence, and the ability not to gorilla the coil connector type hooks, it's a 15 min job to replace them oneself for the price of two tanks of gas.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
I would agree on that interval, especially with a tune.

The crazy thing is I was quoted around $150 ~ $200 in labor for plugs when first asking around. That's when I decided to do it myself. The hardest part is the engine cover if you still have that installed.

Without a cover the coils can be replaced in about 45 to 60 seconds.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
They are definitely better. Resistance measures between OEM coils and Okadas. Real deal, I am using them with stage 1 and stock-spec Denso plugs.