GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, my amp died. I need a new one, please step in audio gurus

siKdub

OG Laker on golfmk6.com
Hello.

Well my amp just passed away, and i need advice in getting a better, maybe more powerful one.

I have a JL 12W6. Old amp was Alpine had about 750Rms. (ill get the model when i get in the car later).

JL 12W6v2 @ 4 ohm. 600 Rms capable.

Last edited:

vdubrabbit

Basic tip that i learned about matching a sub to amp is to take the peak watts of sub and get an amp with about the same RMS watts. also go for a class D amp.

My sub is 600 watts max and my amp is 1000 watts max and 550 watts RMS. I have had my sub for about 5 years now and its still going strong.

siKdub

OG Laker on golfmk6.com
worked fine before, it was an old amp. Had it for 2+ years.

Im looking for best amp possible to matte up with this. as far as money goes i dont wanna spend TO much.

Sub is capable of 2000W Rms. I'm looking for something in the 1000-1500Rms area.

wireb

Just a noob with a welder
@ 750W rms I would look at repairing the amp even if it was just to sell and put cash down on a new one.

Usually either the output stage or the power supply fets blow. 90% of the amps I get in just swapping them out fixes them.

When it died did you get smoke or did it just pass in it's sleep?

Kingkongbass

Night Krawler
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI DSG
You clearly don't know what rms means do you... That sub's rms is 450 ish its max is 1000. You never want to push a sub close to its max because you cut the life of the sub and you get destortion from over exerting it. You can even damage the amp pushing it that high.. An alpine amp should last longer then 2+ years... If the sub is dual 4ohm then i recommend Alpine's MRP-M500 (at 2ohm it pushes 500) great amp and price. Perfect match!! and make sure your running 4gaug for that much power..

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
Hello.

Well my amp just passed away, and i need advice in getting a better, maybe more powerful one.

I have a JL 12W6. Old amp was Alpine had about 750Rms. (ill get the model when i get in the car later).

Looking for possible 1000Rms or more if possible. I have a 1500Rms limit before warranty voids. Sub capable 2000Rms

Is it a w6v1 or v2? Also, are you sure that the amp is dead? Did you do any tests to rule out other factors? I'd hate for you to spend money on a new amp if something else is the problem.

siKdub

OG Laker on golfmk6.com
You clearly don't know what rms means do you... That sub's rms is 450 ish its max is 1000. You never want to push a sub close to its max because you cut the life of the sub and you get destortion from over exerting it. You can even damage the amp pushing it that high.. An alpine amp should last longer then 2+ years... If the sub is dual 4ohm then i recommend Alpine's MRP-M500 (at 2ohm it pushes 500) great amp and price. Perfect match!! and make sure your running 4gaug for that much power..

Yes i am very aware of that. I typed it while i was thinking it, my mistake, re-edited. If im not mistaken i have a m750. i can confirm once i take a loot at it i forgot exact model.

And i believe its 4ohm, oh and yes the sub is capable of 600Rms. correct.

i took it to my local audio shop, and he took a look and he he confirmed. He checked everything.

Is it a w6v1 or v2? Also, are you sure that the amp is dead? Did you do any tests to rule out other factors? I'd hate for you to spend money on a new amp if something else is the problem.

He advised me to take out the fuses and leave it out, its possible that the amp could reset itself. Havent gotten a chance to plug it back in.

Last edited: