GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Part of my slowness there was my dsg had gone into third and I did not realize it so it takes a second to kick down. I do agree I handle slaloms and fast sections a lot better than stopping and having to dig out of a corner. We are not even going to talk about the afternoon session where it rained the whole time :(
I had two STU prepped STI's back in the day. I had bumper stickers that said pray for rain. 🤣🤣🤣

They might beat me with their AWD, but I get 30+ mpg on the way home, in a nice interior, and haven't melted a single piston since I stopped buying WRX's and STI's.

Still have an Outback XT though, so melted #4 piston rings in 3, 2, 1....😥

mkvii.717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Back to the spring/sway discussion seems like looking at pics stiffer springs are the answer. I am running lowering springs and 034 FSB full stiff and ST rear bar with -2 front and rear
Screenshot 2024-04-30 083334.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
At the end of the day, you have to decide how much you're willing to ruin the ride of your daily.

I've been down that road so many times and ruined a bunch of daily drivers.

mkvii.717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
At the end of the day, you have to decide how much you're willing to ruin the ride of your daily.

I've been down that road so many times and ruined a bunch of daily drivers.
agreed I may one day go to the kw or bilstein that work with DCC but I have no desire to go full coils my wife and kid ride in the thing fairly regularly lol

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
agreed I may one day go to the kw or bilstein that work with DCC but I have no desire to go full coils my wife and kid ride in the thing fairly regularly lol
Is your car DCC? My 380 is. I'm shocked at how well it resists brake dive on full stiff, even on stock springs.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

You can be competitive regionally on the Bilstein B16's out of the box (with other supporting mods). You don't need a setup that rattles your teeth when taking the kid to the store.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You can be competitive regionally on the Bilstein B16's out of the box (with other supporting mods). You don't need a setup that rattles your teeth when taking the kid to the store.
I'm going to throw some negative camber and a rsb at the stock dcc suspension and see how it goes. I was competitive regionally in the old car with Koni Sports and my Frankenstein spring setup. This car feels better stock than the old car with negative camber and the setup I had.

In the 4 years that car ran STH locally, finished 2nd twice and 1st twice in class and top 10 in pax all 4 years.

@mrmatto already ran STH in his stock Mk8 and kicked everyone's butt. I can't wait to see what the mk8 can do with a few mods.

mkvii.717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Is your car DCC? My 380 is. I'm shocked at how well it resists brake dive on full stiff, even on stock springs.
Yes mine is DCC with mountune springs(not sold USA anymore) I took one of our pros for a spin and he was amazed at how well the car handles now if the idiot in the driver seat could get better. It wont STH last year in our region but mainly due to the WRX not showing up enough

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes mine is DCC with mountune springs(not sold USA anymore) I took one of our pros for a spin and he was amazed at how well the car handles now if the idiot in the driver seat could get better. It wont STH last year in our region but mainly due to the WRX not showing up enough
The WRX's were at my heels all year and I was struggling towards the end of the year, but I'd built up a pretty good lead early season on fresh tires, but I was surprised how badly the 660's heat cycled out.

The last two events it was tight on corner entry and loose in slaloms.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Back to the spring/sway discussion seems like looking at pics stiffer springs are the answer. I am running lowering springs and 034 FSB full stiff and ST rear bar with -2 front and rear

The 034 bar I believe is one of the softest front sway bars sold for this chassis. It's the same diameter as the GTI stock bar (24mm)... and after having their ball joints I'm somewhat suspect of any measurements they publish (their RCO ball joints advertise 10mm of RC correction... they're 17-18mm taller than stock).

Taking a sway bar from hollow to solid has a practically non-existent effect on overall stiffness (as in less than a pound of force). Most of their added stiffness almost for sure comes from the "A" measurement being different than stock in the chart below.

I've actually taken my own measurements of an H&R 26mm front bar and it specs out as 80 or 120% stiffer than OEM. They sell a 28mm bar which MIGHT be better for autocross purposes.

1714497100827.png

More info here:
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/suspension/swaybartheory
And here, while more track-focused, if you have a way to plot G forces might give you some ideas on how to determine if the bar is actually helping or not. Or adjusting between 2 different settings which is a lot more likely to be doable testing for autocross since the course is never the same.

With the 26mm bar on stiff when autocrossing, on 034 lowering springs there's some body roll, but with almost -4 deg of camber (I'm in XA, not STH) I'm not terribly worried about it. I prefer a softer setup overall on track.

1714497217067.png

I'm currently in the middle of "dynoing" a few different bump stops to try and improve things further. They're way overlooked when it comes to tuning the suspension except for a few little niche automotive circles (Miatas, BMWs).

1714497774123.png

1714497899327.png

I've talked to @mrmatto a bit about it... but I suspect one could probably get some bump stop packers (basically just delrin or plastic split washers) to slip over the shock shaft and play around with the engagement points of the bump stops. Start with something like 15mm in the rear and 10mm up front... will also help move the bias more towards oversteer. The bonus of this is they're easily removable so you can keep your comfort on the road, etc.

Off the topic of suspension setup:
There's some other really fun stuff I've been playing with on the ECU side of things. Basically commanding the throttle body shut (or nearly shut) and keeping the wastegate closed... the car essentially stores boost in the charge pipes so works like a weak form of anti-lag and makes it really responsive, especially in slaloms and coming out of a long sweeper where you're partly on the throttle. It's not enough to stay "spooled" but it takes a noticeable portion of lag/transient response out of the picture. Due to the logic of how the ECU regulates torque, still working through some part throttle driveability issues (sometimes the throttle plate will flutter open and closed), but that's moreso from a daily driving standpoint and hasn't been an issue on course or when driving in anger.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
See this on reddit & first comment was

Who has a household income of $20k & is autocrossing?
🤣