GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing Chain Cover Leak

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It appears my timing chain cover has developed a leak around its lower half. I'll be replacing the gasket. Does anyone have any pointers for the replacement procedure? I'll be using this video to do the repair:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Here's what my upper timing chain cover looks like.

Attachments

• 20200526_172009.jpg
    20200526_172009.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,601

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Seems like a waste of time and money to fix a bit of oil sweat.

Meh. Perhaps you are right, but I just ordered all the parts save for the bolts for about $20. Fixing this will make me feel better. Plus it will give me some practice and allow me to see what's inside that black box of an engine of mine.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Might as well replace the spark plug seals as long as you have the cover off.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have no idea what and where those are. I will be replacing the cam valve o-rings.

Don't you have to take the valve cover off to repair the timing chain cover leak? There's gaskets around the spark plugs that could be replaced at that time. I only know because one of mine is starting to leak some oil around the spark plug. Not on the spark plug threads but the part that a socket fits on to tighten the plug. They told me that the timing cover has to come off to take the valve cover off.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Don't you have to take the valve cover off to repair the timing chain cover leak? There's gaskets around the spark plugs that could be replaced at that time. I only know because one of mine is starting to leak some oil around the spark plug. Not on the spark plug threads but the part that a socket fits on to tighten the plug. They told me that the timing cover has to come off to take the valve cover off.

No, this is a cover on the side, by the motor mount.