• Buy the MK7.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Your opinion, explain below.

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
No please...do go on. I was thoroughly enjoying the read! :thumbsup:

The MK7 is great in many ways...with some limitations.
Mk7>MK5>MK3<MK1... LOL
Is it great enough to validate a switch from a MK5 build to more payments? :iono: Not for me.

We may all be expending more energy than what may be spent on the final decision here. One response stating "your choice" would've sufficed.

And this is why I love you.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I borrowed a friend stage 2 mk7. Like mentioned above... There are a lot of refinements over the mkv. But, it seemed to have less character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Why is multi-quote off?
Anyway,
SS89 - There was a MK7 at a GTG last night. Tuned, FMIC, stock air box, and muffler removed and a resonator added(don't ask why...I didn't). He said he dyno'd 300whp and 360lb*ft.

Das - Back at ya ♥

Josh'o - I'll send you a MK3 Hater's Club sign-up form :)

Streig - please see: SS89 response

When Buckwheat saw the MK3...he grabbed some things and headed off to VW headquarters to find those responsible...

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
You should get the K04 beat the hell out of the transmission and sell it to Das Gespenst, I hear he loves that shit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
As far as the Mk3 hate, from a Mk3 owner:

My thoughts are to stay car payment free and mod the Mk5. Seems like a smarter way to go. IMO, it's more fun to mod a car than to drive a nice stock car. With the Mk7, you'd be putting your money toward payments and it'd be a while before you would do anything significant to it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
No please...do go on. I was thoroughly enjoying the read! :thumbsup:

The MK7 is great in many ways...with some limitations.
Mk7>MK5>MK3<MK1... LOL
Is it great enough to validate a switch from a MK5 build to more payments? :iono: Not for me.

We may all be expending more energy than what may be spent on the final decision here. One response stating "your choice" would've sufficed.

Agreed, there is always something faster but its hard to beat no payments.

Boosty

Ready to race!
Okay so I've had a K04 MK5 and I now have a JB1 MK7, so....

This makes me want to skip the mk6 and jump into the 7 .. I won't be done with my payments till mid 2018 if I keep paying minimums

Anyway OP , the mkv isnt worth much as trade in or even private selling , I would say keep it a while DONT ko4 it , save your money up till you got enough to sell and get the R instead of the gti

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I'm in a slightly later stage as compared to the OP.

Have a mk5, had k04 with WMI, actively shopping for mk7s right now.

k04 is for sale too, if you're interested. http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196403

Already returned my car to stock and might be trading it today (if they can give me a good deal).

If you're cool with the payments, which are substantial over a paid-off mk5, then I say mk7.

but

Since you haven't tasted k04 yet, I highly recommend it. Power is perfect for the platform. Drivability is as good as stock. Just hang onto all your stock parts, because once the 2016s are depreciated a bit, you'll be able to snag a great deal, without the premium paid on a new car. Being paid off is a huge bonus.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
electronic AIDS
I agree, skip the car payments and wait. I like the MK7 but let prices keep coming down and maybe they will defeat the nannies too. K04 is a no brainer when you can snipe a used one for about $1k.

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in a slightly later stage as compared to the OP.

Have a mk5, had k04 with WMI, actively shopping for mk7s right now.

k04 is for sale too, if you're interested. http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196403

Already returned my car to stock and might be trading it today (if they can give me a good deal).

If you're cool with the payments, which are substantial over a paid-off mk5, then I say mk7.

but

Since you haven't tasted k04 yet, I highly recommend it. Power is perfect for the platform. Drivability is as good as stock. Just hang onto all your stock parts, because once the 2016s are depreciated a bit, you'll be able to snag a great deal, without the premium paid on a new car. Being paid off is a huge bonus.

How's does the MK7 tuned compare to the Ko4?

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
well, its kinda a tough one dude. but once mk7 becomes cheap enough, another possibly more exciting version will be out in like mk8 maybe? mk5 will have more wear, and engines and stuff may be discontinued (if not already). i took my mk5 GLI to stg 2 & almost paid off until totaled by a random deer. insurance paid so much im close to paid off on 08' R32 now. besides new cars you lose at least 5k in value as soon as you take it home. find a deal on pre own mk7, or choose a limit mod path/budget on mk5 (cause it becomes less worth it, and you lose all that money if you ever decide to get rid of it).