GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic K04

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Agree with that dude^ you can find factory k04 relatively cheap, then source supporting parts as needed, then get a reliable tune, dyno tune if possible. I mean yer paying a pretty penny for these package deals, plus you gotta keep maintenance in check.

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
It might or might not be more aggressive. Not sure what your goals are. If you are trying to push the very limits of the K04 and every hp matters then go with the injectors and run a 100 octane tune (with water meth you can run a tune like this daily, I have for 3 years). If you are looking to save money by running stock injectors and are ok with giving up a little bit then the Uni kit should be fine.

I do, I just don't want to be experimenting with my car. I was considering getting the APR k04 kit and getting a uni upgraded tune since I already have uni. I'm just really trying to avoid putting rods in.

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
Here's what I did:

I saw a VW/Audi salvage yard near me had a couple MK6 Golf Rs. Bought from them a K04 w/49k miles($550), Golf R TOP($35), Golf R DV flange and hose($30). I bought a turbo install kit from ECS. I used my stock TB pipe with the Y for the noise maker which works perfectly with the Golf R DV location. I got Golf R injectors from a guy on vortex for $115. I wanted to use the stock intake so I bought a Golf R intake pipe on new on ECS for $70:frown:. The only thing I had to "rig" was the boost return hose from the DV to the intake pipe. I refuse to pay $100 for a section of hose so I bought 4 feet of 1" heater hose for $8, cut to length and its working great.

I took my time and installed everything in my garage over the course of a week, including an intake valve cleaning. Drove 15 minutes to my local APR dealer and got flashed for $300.

The car is a blast to drive. Boost hits about 24psi in the mid and tapers to about 17 at 6500. I have fresh summer tires on the front and the car hooks up pretty well in 2nd gear and snaps your head back. I took the car to the mountains last weekend, mostly 3rd gear cornering and repeatedly ran down an evo X with ease.

If you have any questions about going K04, I'll be happy to help. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I have everything I need. I didn't want to start doing this and find that I need to order something since this is my daily driver.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I do, I just don't want to be experimenting with my car. I was considering getting the APR k04 kit and getting a uni upgraded tune since I already have uni. I'm just really trying to avoid putting rods in.

If you don't want to experiment and want it to just work, best bet is to just buy a complete kit like Uni or APR and use the software that comes with it. In general you will not need rods until you go bigger turbo than a K04. Stock motor seems to hold K04 power well. As I said I have been running an aggressive 100octane tune on mine for 3 years and that includes a few trips to the track all on stock rods.

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
If you don't want to experiment and want it to just work, best bet is to just buy a complete kit like Uni or APR and use the software that comes with it. In general you will not need rods until you go bigger turbo than a K04. Stock motor seems to hold K04 power well. As I said I have been running an aggressive 100octane tune on mine for 3 years and that includes a few trips to the track all on stock rods.

Thanks man! From looking at your numbers and setup, I'm liking DM. I was looking for an aggressive k04 setup for s3 injectors and stock rods. Also planning on installing wmi.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks man! From looking at your numbers and setup, I'm liking DM. I was looking for an aggressive k04 setup for s3 injectors and stock rods. Also planning on installing wmi.

DM has worked well for me and I got to work with the principal of the company on my tune so I was very fortunate. I like it not for the max power but for what the curve looks like it makes a lot of torque early and that is what is most usable and fun in the canyons and on the track. The max HP is very nice on the long straights but early torque is something you can use everyday. Based on posts it looks like they are pretty tough to get a hold of and don't have the same solid market presence as APR, Uni or GIAC.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
DM has worked well for me and I got to work with the principal of the company on my tune so I was very fortunate. I like it not for the max power but for what the curve looks like it makes a lot of torque early and that is what is most usable and fun in the canyons and on the track. The max HP is very nice on the long straights but early torque is something you can use everyday. Based on posts it looks like they are pretty tough to get a hold of and don't have the same solid market presence as APR, Uni or GIAC.

That's because DM is essentially one dude, and he's a little temperamental...he knows his shit, though, and if you can get ahold of him there's really no better option I know of for remote tuning. I never bought a DM tune, but he did look over my DIY tune once and fixed a very important mistake I'd made on defining the axis for a table. :thumbsup: Most people won't take the time to do that for an internet stranger so he's a top dude in my book.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
That's because DM is essentially one dude, and he's a little temperamental...he knows his shit, though, and if you can get ahold of him there's really no better option I know of for remote tuning. I never bought a DM tune, but he did look over my DIY tune once and fixed a very important mistake I'd made on defining the axis for a table. :thumbsup: Most people won't take the time to do that for an internet stranger so he's a top dude in my book.

Well I have nothing but praise for his tuning acumen as well. And he was on the east coast and I am on west coast and I think we went through about 15 iterations or more of tuning and logging. Love my tune and you are right he is a very giving guy but unfortunately that wonderful attribute benefitted many of us but probably that and his direct purchase/support model probably contributed to his business development difficulties. I would love to see someone back him.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI

Agressive tune and stock runs do not go hand in hand. I'd run conservative if you don't want the rods....trust me....

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion