GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vancouver gas: Chevron causing problems?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Vancouver gas: Chevron causing problems? (Updated: no, it's not)

Hey boys,

I got my GTI back from the shop today. In addition to replacing the mechatronic, which tripped out on me a while back, I had them look at a pretty harsh series of fuel cuts I experienced just last Friday.

In the end, the good guys at Capilano wound up replacing the in-tank fuel pump under warranty, but because there was carbon contamination plugging up the sock on the intake of the pump I think that was generous. Apparently I'm the fourth car they've dealt with that exhibited these symptoms... and all four cars run on Chevron gas!

Now, no-one's pointing fingers at this point, but it's enough to make you think. I guess I'll be switching to Shell for now, which is a shame. I've been a Chevron user for a loooong time, and always thought highly of Techron. I'll also miss their Supreme Plus fuel, because they're the only gas left with a 94 octane rating.

What is everyone else feeding their GTI here in Vancouver, and has anyone else had trouble with fuelling problems?

Last edited:

Vdub333

Honda Kick-ER
ima high school student :D can barely afford monthly car payments im not affraid to admit i use only use 91 at chevron. no problems yet... knock on wood.

eason_c

Fuel cut under full throttle or just normal driving? How many km you have one your car? I use Chevron 94 since my first fill up, I do have fuel cut once awhile and I thought it was that batch of gas was causing problem. I guess I should ask Capilano to check my next time.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Shell V-Power for me 99% of the time... I believe in Shell, and I'm not a big fan of Chevron since only their 94 is ethanol-free. I've heard of stories of Chevron/Esso/Petro-Canada gas (they're shared AFAIK) not being so good for your car.

Plus Air Miles are nice.

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
I've run Chevron 94 since my first fill-up, even when I was stock. No problems as of yet.

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
shell vpower 91
it says on their pump 0% ethanol in vpower, but who knows

i hope my mechatronics goes wrong just before 64k service...

eason_c

After I ran the 94 file, don't want to switch back to 91 for V-Power..

KkSc

TS Auto Design
Car(s)
Audi B7 2.0T/ VW MkV
i used chevron for all of my cars in my house...no problem what so ever!

GTIFTW

I'm Luvin it...
Some people will say gas is gas and will use Tempo or some other non popular brand and all these feelings on the best gas is just in your head. This could be true but for me I have only used chevron or shell.

I can't explain it in a technical way but I had tried chevron 94 and 91 plus shell 91 a month each brand and octane rating, and shell 91 "feels" the best. When I used chevron it felt like my acceleration was slightly hesitant and rough compared to the month with shell. Whenever I used shell the gti was consistanly smooth when on the throttle and I have never switched back to chevron. The negative effects of chevron gas is barely noticable compared to shell 91 however, it is still noticable to me in my car at least.

KkSc

TS Auto Design
Car(s)
Audi B7 2.0T/ VW MkV
Some people will say gas is gas and will use Tempo or some other non popular brand and all these feelings on the best gas is just in your head. This could be true but for me I have only used chevron or shell.

I can't explain it in a technical way but I had tried chevron 94 and 91 plus shell 91 a month each brand and octane rating, and shell 91 "feels" the best. When I used chevron it felt like my acceleration was slightly hesitant and rough compared to the month with shell. Whenever I used shell the gti was consistanly smooth when on the throttle and I have never switched back to chevron. The negative effects of chevron gas is barely noticable compared to shell 91 however, it is still noticable to me in my car at least.

yeah man, i heard a lots of good thing about shell, i m going to switch to shell once i finished up my tank tonight!

Vdub333

Honda Kick-ER
Moral.

everyone switch to shell quick! lol

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Shell V-Power for me 99% of the time... I believe in Shell, and I'm not a big fan of Chevron since only their 94 is ethanol-free. I've heard of stories of Chevron/Esso/Petro-Canada gas (they're shared AFAIK) not being so good for your car.

Plus Air Miles are nice.

Last time I checked,

chevron supplies Shell with their gas in Vancouver since they shut down their refinery in Burnaby in 1993.