GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Shaking at Highway Speeds 70+

iiCaptain

Hello again, I've had this issue for a while now, it seems as though it's been getting worse. On the highway my steering wheel shakes back and forth at 70+, and gets worse with speed and throttle input. However it still shakes when coasting in gear and in neutral. What's weird is that it only shakes with light steering input. If I make a deliberate turn, there's no shaking. If I let go of the wheel (no input), the shaking almost stops entirely. It only occurs when the road is slightly tilted requiring a small input to the left or right to go straight. No obvious difference between left or right.

I started noticing it on my winter tires (stock rims) last year, was very rare and almost never experienced it. Then I put on my summer tires and it got more noticeable. I attached pictures of the numbers on the back incase they're useful. They are forgestar f14s. It feels as though the issue is getting worse. I am almost certain it's not wheel balance because I've swapped wheels front to back, and got unlucky enough with a nail in my sidewall causing me to replace my front two and the issue still persists.

I installed a dogbone insert not too long before this issue, and also turned on TSC. I also accidentally took it down some rough state forest roads in the UP at LSPR. Those are the only things I can think of, as it definitely was not happening prior to LSPR.

Done a lot of research and came up with nothing, thinking my next step is to check alignment. Just looking for more information/possibilities before I pay to check the alignment as I am in college and trying to save money if I can.

Attachments

• 20230822_114700.jpg
    20230822_114700.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • 20230822_114654.jpg
    20230822_114654.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • 20230822_114133.jpg
    20230822_114133.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Are you running hub centering rings?
Are you running the right profile lug bolts?

iiCaptain

Are you running hub centering rings?
Are you running the right profile lug bolts?
No hub centering rings, took the rim off and on the back it appears the center bore matches the hub bore of the car (57.1mm) unless I am reading it wrong (very possible). If I still need them, let me know. I know at the very least I am running the correct profile lug nuts.
How do your control arm bushings look?
They're look great, however when flexing them with a pry bar there are a couple small cracks in the rubber. I'm not sure if the cracks are big enough to cause this issue.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
No hub centering rings, took the rim off and on the back it appears the center bore matches the hub bore of the car (57.1mm) unless I am reading it wrong (very possible). If I still need them, let me know. I know at the very least I am running the correct profile lug nuts.

They're look great, however when flexing them with a pry bar there are a couple small cracks in the rubber. I'm not sure if the cracks are big enough to cause this issue.
If you do a hard panic stop does the steering wheel jerk to one side or the other? If the steering wheel stays dead straight they're probably fine... if they jerk then you're getting a lot of toe defection under load and it's almost definitely those bushings.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
If it came with hub centering rings, you need them to not have that shake.
Check your wheel specs and order the according rings.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
^ yup it could be any number of things. Those bushings wear out fast though and can cause a lot of weird issues when they do. That you’ve noticed a difference between summer tires and winter tires means the problem is aggravated by grip, so those bushings are the first thing I’d consider replacing… especially if they’ve never been changed.

iiCaptain

Check brake rotors--especially if not replaced recently--may be slightly warped and can do this
Classes started and I had to drop this project for a little bit seeing as I drive 5 miles a week. I do have a warped rotor somewhere can feel it when I brake sometimes. Will update this when I eventually fix it, just no promises on how long it will take, probably get to it over winter break. If a rotor can cause this then I bet that's what it is, just didn't cross my mind since it happens even when I don't press the brakes.

If you do a hard panic stop does the steering wheel jerk to one side or the other? If the steering wheel stays dead straight they're probably fine... if they jerk then you're getting a lot of toe defection under load and it's almost definitely those bushings.
Did a couple hard panic stops, enough to set off abs. Wheel stayed straight so I probably have a couple miles left on them.

zrickety

The Fixer
Classes started and I had to drop this project for a little bit seeing as I drive 5 miles a week. I do have a warped rotor somewhere can feel it when I brake sometimes. Will update this when I eventually fix it, just no promises on how long it will take, probably get to it over winter break. If a rotor can cause this then I bet that's what it is, just didn't cross my mind since it happens even when I don't press the brakes.

Did a couple hard panic stops, enough to set off abs. Wheel stayed straight so I probably have a couple miles left on them.
Tie rod or ball joint most likely. Jack up each front wheel and check for play. If you want to bring it in for an alignment, they should be able to tell you right away.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
^ that

At this point if my car were doing this I’m getting it on stands and visually inspecting everything. Any grease anywhere? Check for torn boots. Excessively cracked bushings? Maybe those. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and shake as hard as you can… any play? Bad wheel bearing. Yank on the tie rod end… any play? Bad tie rod.

Basically visually inspect and shove/pull everything. Everything should feel tight… if something feels loose have a hard look at it.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
^ that

At this point if my car were doing this I’m getting it on stands and visually inspecting everything. Any grease anywhere? Check for torn boots. Excessively cracked bushings? Maybe those. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and shake as hard as you can… any play? Bad wheel bearing. Yank on the tie rod end… any play? Bad tie rod.

Basically visually inspect and shove/pull everything. Everything should feel tight… if something feels loose have a hard look at it.
Gonna have to do this as my wheel shakes a bit too - not horribly, but more than my stock gti.