GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why the GTI as a track car?

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
For all those GTI owners that are serious about tracking their car as a hobby or passion, and that spend considerably seat time in them whether it be solo or w-t-w or autoX, why did you choose the GTI as your car of choice?

uscrew96

Ready to race!
I look at many Autos from the MINI to GTI, for AUTOX. Its mine wife daily driver. She Like the seats out of all them. But its still bringing a Knife to a Gun Fight.:fighting0030:

Daddy-O

Previous Cars:
Car(s)
08 GTI 6-speed
Coming from the seat of a modified Cayman S I am not sure I can truly say that the GTI is going to impress me as the best track car...esp since it is a FWD car. However, if driven right i can see that the GTI has its attributes that can be tapped on the track. I imagine the R32 may fair better though.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I didn't choose the GTI as a track car. When I bought it I knew jack-diddly about cars. The GTI felt fast and had a good interior so I liked it. It wasn't until a few months after that I did my first track event and got addicted.

What I like about it is the DSG (haters can knock it all they want), the low end torque, the ability to get it very neutral with a new RSB and proper coil setup, and the fact that I can fit a set of track wheels, and all my track gear easily in the back.

Aeneas05

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV BMP
I didn't choose the GTI as a track car. When I bought it I knew jack-diddly about cars. The GTI felt fast and had a good interior so I liked it. It wasn't until a few months after that I did my first track event and got addicted.

This is kind of what I'm thinking too. Last weekend I went to my third Autox at a local go-kart track and I placed second in my class. Now I'm not that great of a driver on the track just yet, but if the only things beating my times are WRX's and a couple porsches and some E36 M3's then the car and I must be doing something right.

Plus, even though it's not the ultimate track car, I did beat a couple Mazda speed3's and a Honda Civic si:fighting0030:

mikeb748

Passed Driver's Ed
When you say "track car", are you all referring to a dedicated, caged, full race track car? Or a "weekend warrior"? Regardless, the R32 is a more expensive platform. If it is TRUELY a track car, it seems the GTI would be a better choice. You will have less drivetrain power loss with the GTI as well.

FWD do excellent on the track with the right setup and most importantly driver.

When you say "track car", are you all referring to a dedicated, caged, full race track car? Or a "weekend warrior"? Regardless, the R32 is a more expensive platform. If it is TRUELY a track car, it seems the GTI would be a better choice. You will have less drivetrain power loss with the GTI as well.

FWD do excellent on the track with the right setup and most importantly driver.

Most people on here use their cars as weekend warriors. There are a few caged, but they put the cages in more for looks then function. No matter what any of them claim. I do not know of anyone with a "track only car". To answer to op's question. I bought the car not knowing that I would be autocrossing it. But thanks to DANGSR I discovered my new obsession. The car is fairly competitive on a local level as I have it now. I would really like to get to the national level sometime soon, but the car needs work. There are many wrx's out there that are faster. I need more seat time and then I will see where I stack.

Maximum6

FASTER
mini is by far the best car for G stock class..

With a good driver, you'll dominate !:paddle:

Oh, GTi would NOT be my choice for tracking my car for anything.
I consider GTi more like a sportier version of A3....and that's it. A commuters car.

I would pick GT3 RS if money wasn't an issue as my track car...and Exige S240 as poor man's GT3 RS.

Aeneas05

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV BMP
I would pick GT3 RS if money wasn't an issue as my track car...and Exige S240 as poor man's GT3 RS.

Agreed, but money's an issue for must of us. That's why we have a GTI

Dynjo

Ready to race!
Like others here, I bought the GTI as a street car primarily, but one that could deal with track days without undue embarrassment.

Things I liked as a daily commuter...
  • DSG (don't give me any guff. I've driven stick since before most of you were born.)
  • Usable back seat
  • Good fuel economy
  • Sporty styling
  • Peppy performance
  • Reasonable stereo
  • Affordable
Things I liked as (potential) track car...
  • Very well-supported by the aftermarket (engine and chassis)
  • DSG
  • Modern rear suspension
  • Good brake and tire package
  • Not too heavy
In other words, I feel the car is the best compromise given the conflicting needs of track/race car vs. commuter car. If I wanted the best weapon I could afford for competition (autocross, drags, w2w), I would not have picked this car.

tranceporter

F**K YOU CAM FOLLOWERS
Car(s)
'08 BMP GTI
honestly, this is the first fwd car i've driven that doesn't feel like a fwd car. that's the best i can describe it :yikes:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Cause it's fast and handles like a slot car.

maybe it's just us :iono: everyone else is talking like the gti handles like a mustang. my buddy's in their evo's and sti's have problems keeping up with me, so beats me.

The GTI is good but not evo or sti good, something is wrong with them. Our car can be plently competitive for autox. With a good consistent driver it can be a top local stx car.

speedform

Ready to race!
Cause it's fast and handles like a slot car.

Well I can't say it handles like a slot car, it's not a bad track car if your just using it for the occasional weekend 'run what you brought' event. I've been racing for ten years and a race instructor for almost 5 years and have driven a sh#t load of different cars on track (still waiting for that elusive Gallardo). So I can say, coming from some experience with track driven FWD cars, the GTI is definitely up there with some of the latest FWD production spec cars on sale today. BUT the best is still the MINI.