GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TT/S3 alloy arms & swivels Thread

telaio

Ready to race!
Both the Passat and CC have alloy spindles that can be used on the MKV Golf platform on the front. I am assuming that the rear are not compatible with the R line.
I don't really care so much about the rear. Every time I've reduced unsprung weight in the front it has reduced understeer and made the turn-in crisper. I doubt that the rear offers similar bang for the buck...

telaio

Ready to race!
If you get these S3 arms you don't need TT bushings as they're at least almost the same.

Yes, S3/Passat swivels fit plug & play to both GTI and R32.

Once again:
Thx Bruce! Your post should be made sticky, It would be a good starting point for gathering info on VAG suspension components..

BTW I think I'll only do the arms and bushings now, 500€ for the hubs + 100€ for the ball joint + something for the nuts seems a tad steep at the moment..

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
The part numbers you listed for the S3 arms also include the bushings so you'd end up with an extra set.

EDIT: nevermind, missed my que with this post :)

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
If you get these S3 arms you don't need TT bushings as they're at least almost the same.

Yes, S3/Passat swivels fit plug & play to both GTI and R32.

Once again:

1K0 407 151 AK ~ 130,-- € - S3 arm left (includes bushing)
1K0 407 152 AK ~ 130,-- € - S3 arm right (includes bushing)

8J0 598 625 (2x) 170,17 € wheel bearing - get new at least when old one is worn

3C0 407 253 F ~ 240,-- € - S3/Passat swivel left
3C0 407 254 F ~ 240,-- € - S3/Passat swivel right

(formerly: TN 3C0 407 257 F / 3C0 407 258 F)

3C0 407 365 A - 50,-- € - matching ball joint left
3C0 407 366 A - 50,-- € - matching ball joint right

WHT 000 785 + WHT 000 785 A - nuts

Take care to use the correct collar nuts. The use of wrong nuts is dangerous !!

In addition:

If you just get the S3 arms you might stay with the GTI ball joints. You only need
the S3/Passat ball joints if you go for S3/Passat swivels.

Passat and S3 arms itself are the same. The difference between them is the the
bushing they come with. Passat = soft bushing, S3 = solid bushing (stiffer and much
more reliable).

Passat/S3 arms have the same geometry as Golf/GTI arms > they fit plug & play.
Same with swivels: same geo as well, but you need the corresponding ball joints.

If you want camber adjustability and improved roll center you have to go for TT parts
(different story).

Really (and I mean REALLY) take care to use the correct collar nuts for fitting ball
joint to S3/Passat swivel and steering rod to swivel. NEVER use the non-collar
standard GTI nuts !! If you do so the pressed in steel inserts may loosen and the
wheel will turn where you surely don't want to.

:headbang:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
In addition:

If you just get the S3 arms you might stay with the GTI ball joints. You only need
the S3/Passat ball joints if you go for S3/Passat swivels.

Passat and S3 arms itself are the same. The difference between them is the the
bushing they come with. Passat = soft bushing, S3 = solid bushing (stiffer and much
more reliable).

Passat/S3 arms have the same geometry as Golf/GTI arms > they fit plug & play.
Same with swivels: same geo as well, but you need the corresponding ball joints.

If you want camber adjustability and improved roll center you have to go for TT parts
(different story).

Really (and I mean REALLY) take care to use the correct collar nuts for fitting ball
joint to S3/Passat swivel and steering rod to swivel. NEVER use the non-collar
standard GTI nuts !! If you do so the pressed in steel inserts may loosen and the
wheel will turn where you surely don't want to.

:headbang:

The S3 rear front control arm bushing is not solid, it is semi-solid. The TT bushing is solid rubber and a better choice than the S3's. See my other thread where I show pictures of all three lined up.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
You know I know, mate. :biggrin:

For a (mainly) street car S3 bushings will be surely stiff enough as they're much stiffer
than stock GTI/R32.
And more reliable. Not the least point as many Golf bushings are already weak and prone
to fail. Many Mk.V already needed new bushings.

Dr.

Just for price comparison.

I picked up passat control arms and swivels from my local salvage yard. Cost 315.50 and they came with good rear bushings, ball joints, and one of the bearings was good.

Also passat control arms are 115ish on rockauto

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
If someone would figure out how to use TT spindles with the GTI steering rack i'd be one happy camper! Someone go peek in APR's garage.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
I just installed the S3's on a 2010 Jetta SW TDI and it was a PAIN to get the drivers side on. It was almost like they molded the bushing in wrong and the back bolts were almost impossible to get lined up. Took 3 guys and some serious ingenuity to get it moved into place enough to get all the bolts in.

I myself haven't tried driving with the S3 lower control arms, but I can definitely see the difference in the rear bush. I never realized people actually used these until I installed them, and now I'm interested in some upgraded ones myself.

Dark Anghell

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, been reading up about installing S3 swivels onto MK5/6 GTI. They are a direct replacement for OEM pieces, made out of aluminum. Since my car has about 35K miles on it, I doubt I need new bearings. Will S3 swivels correct the suspension geometry? It seems like the price difference between these and H2sport spindles are the same price. I don't plan on replacing my LCA's anytime soon, but I still need to purchase the ball joints, correct?

Part numbers I need are:

3C0 407 253 F ~ 240,-- € - S3/Passat swivel left
3C0 407 254 F ~ 240,-- € - S3/Passat swivel right

3C0 407 365 A - 50,-- € - matching ball joint left
3C0 407 366 A - 50,-- € - matching ball joint right

WHT 000 785 + WHT 000 785 A - nuts

Again, main thing I'm trying to accomplish is to correct my suspension geometry so my LCA's sit more level with the ground.

Thanks!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Yes, you need the matching ball joints.

No, S3 swivels don't correct anything - they are a lighter 1:1 drop in replacement
and geometrically the same as GTI/R/Golf.

It's the TT swivels that provide a raised center of roll and improved camber curve
on lowered cars.

Latest part numbers August 2012:

1K0 407 151 BF left S3 arm incl. bushing
1K0 407 152 BF right S3 arm incl. bushing

5K0 498 621 (2x) wheel bearing S3/RS3/TT

3C0 407 253 F left S3/RS3/Passat swivel
3C0 407 254 F right S3/RS3/Passat swivel

3C0 407 365 B left ball joint
3C0 407 366 B right ball joint

bolt caliper to swivel:

(S3: ) N 910 849 01 = M14x1, 50x55 (8 Stück) (Golf - N 909 488 02 = M14x1, 50x35)

+ nut WHT 000 237 A (8 pcs)

strut:

N 909 548 02 bolt(2)
N 101 064 02 nut (2)

nuts ball joint to swivel:

WHT 000 785 (2)

nuts ball jount to armr:

N 103 320 02 (or N 909 429 01 ?) (6)

bolts arm bushing to subframe:

N 105 607 02 (oder N 105 797 01 ?) (4)

bolts arm bushing to body:

N 910 398 02 (oder N 908 235 01 ?) (2)

bolt arm front bushing to subframe:

N 101 410 01 oder ...03 (2)

bolts wheel bearing to swivelr:

WHT 005 437 - 8 pcs

Last edited:

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
I see that the caliper carrier bolts are longer with the aluminum spindles because they are thicker there. I assume the mounting surface is identical?

Would there be any problems mounting my Stoptech BBK up to aluminum spindles if i had the longer OEM bolts?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
I didn't have any issues with my stock calipers.
I'd check a Stoptech catalogue if the kit fits S3, RS3, Passat, Cupra which share these swivels.

Dr.

Weight Comparison

Swivels
Stock GLI 9lbs. 14.9 oz.
Stock Passat 6lbs. 7.5 oz.

Control Arms
Stock GLI 8lbs. 14.7oz.
Stock Passat
2006-? Early 4lbs. 13.4oz.
?-2009-? Late 4lbs. 2.2oz.

I'll upload pictures when I get my internet back.