GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Parking/E-Brake Adjustment

anile_eight

Go Kart Champion
I had the car up the other weekend and noticed my driver side rear wheels not spinning for more than 1 rotation... So i decided to adjust the parking brake.

As always with any DIY I am not responsible for any damage that may result to you or your car. So don't come back to me blaming me for damage... unless i physically kicked your car then you're more than welcome to.

I was in the middle of physically adjusting the parking brake with my wrench when i realized I should make up a diy as I did not find any and this seems to be common that VWs come with a tighter than normal e-brake. So i took pictures of the reassembly haha. Anyways lets being.

You will need a T-20, a 10mm wrench and a jack/jacks stands. (oh and a 1/4" socket and drive to make your life easier)

1. First off start by taking off the rear vent. It doesn't just pull off you'll need some force behind it. I found it easiest to start from the top and pull it from there. Careful to not brake it! Reassemble the same way by starting from the top.
    P1070963.JPG
    Why there is duct tape on there I have not clue this is the first time i've ever take the vent off... If anyone else has it i guess it was factory, but I highly doubt that lol

2. Undo the 2 screws
    P1070956.JPG

3. Take the 4 screws out you see circled. I found it easiest if you use the 1/4" socket and drive here and just put the torx bit in it. At least for me the screw driver was too long here.
    P1070955.JPG

4. Clean out the inside of the console and pull out the vent where that little seam is. It is really easy to get out.
    P1070962.JPG

5. Then pull out the rubber mat. Undo the screw shown.
    P1070961.JPG

6. Now the console cover can come off. Be careful when you are taking it off the 12V plug is still connected. I found it easiest if you reach from the bottom (cup holder side) and unplug it from there. My hand was too big to go through the top. Also it is easier if you have the parking brake a couple clicks up as it is easier to rotate the console cover up.
    P1070959.JPG

7. Now you can take the screw out on the drivers side. This is easily done from the top. Be careful when putting the screw back in! It can be tricky! To make the next screw easier to access pull the air vent running through the middle straight up. The first time I did this I cut my knuckles pretty bad so be cautious. It takes a good amount of force to do it as there is a clip at the bottom.
    P1070958.JPG

8. Take this screw out up at the front next to the handle behind the cup holders
    P1070954.JPG

9. I found the next part easiest if you move the passenger seat forward all the way and jack the seat up all the way with the handle by the door. This gives you better access to the screw up front. Undo these screws. With the air vent pushed to one side you can get access from the top it may still be tricky.
    P1070951.JPG

10. After that you are ready to adjust the parking brake. I used my light to prop the console shell up to make it easier. Loosen it off a little. I mean A LITTLE. I went 2 entire rotations and that was enough. Make sure to not go too far. What the actual distance should be I have no clue someone can chime in and let everyone else know. I jacked the car up to test how the wheels rotated, I would suggest the same. Listen for the rubbing of the brakes.
    P1070948.JPG

11. TEST DRIVE. Make sure you can still brake adequately and by the 3rd click (4th is okay too) you should noticeably be slowing down. How you adjust it is up to you I am not telling how much to adjust it but make sure there is no slack in the cable or on the parking brake handle.

12. Reassemble. This was a little tricky... I started with the front passenger side screw and then the one behind it (Step 9). You will need to align those with some force as it took me a couple tries. Make sure to put all the screws back in and plug the 12V in. Beyond that it is pretty straight forward. Good luck!

If i missed something please let me know!

Last edited:

anile_eight

Go Kart Champion
thank you so much
I have been looking for this for over a year

...and it looks like PITA :frown:

Really its not bad at all it took me an hour to figure it out. Now probably thirty minutes if testing goes well. This really is an easy job. You should have no problem doing this. You'll be fine

anile_eight

Go Kart Champion
I've heard of and seen pictures of the duct tape there too. I think it is factory. Good write up- I'll link to it in my Brake DIY.

Thanks, sounds good. And no clue why they would use duct tape...:iono:

anile_eight

Go Kart Champion
Maybe this would add some mpg's?

if it was really tight earlier, maybe but only fractionally probably to the point where you wouldn't notice day to day

jabov8z

Great pictures and write up! Thanks.
In the last photo (step 10) you can loosen the big center nut to add slack to both brake cables, but is it possible to adjust the cables individually? Like where the cable sheath ends at that black piece of metal in the photo?
(I'm thinking like on a bicycle where you lengthen brake cable by turning a nut that shortens the sheathing)
My e-brake doesn't release all the way on the driver side... passenger side is fine.

anile_eight

Go Kart Champion
From what I remember I don't think there is adjustment available behind that bar like on bikes (I use to bmx all the time so i know what you're talking about). I would adjust it myself as I know my driver side pad wears a lot more than my passenger side like you but that should be cured with the e-brake not being stuck on. But that might have been from earlier on (the previous 50K where the pads were sticking).

I just realized how much crap was on my rear mats when I took those pictures. Haha, oh well!

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
When I worked for Audi as a tech, the A4s and A6s had a strip of duct tape in the doors holding the plastic liner in place.

anile_eight

Go Kart Champion
When I worked for Audi as a tech, the A4s and A6s had a strip of duct tape in the doors holding the plastic liner in place.

I have no clue why'd they do that. Probably more of an after thought during production... Oh shit shit guys we need some duct tape lol

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
So I'm a little troubled. I got to adjust my brakes. Before I loosened the line I spun my 2 rear tires and they barely got past a whole rotation. I went and did 2 whole turns loosening the cable and still have the wheels only rotate once.

I do hear a noise which I believe to be the brakes rubbing. Idk if this is normal or if something is wrong. Can someone help me out a bit? Idk if something needs to be changed and I might as well do it now that the car is on stands.

Thanks.

anile_eight

Go Kart Champion
Well from what I see, you're in Miami and have an 06... has it ever seen snow/salt? (beach or up north) as they can get into the cables and rust them you aren't careful and or don't use your ebrake consistently. If you don't use your ebrake consistently it will rust at the current position.

As far as your adjustment, 2 rotations is a good amount, do you still have good feel on the ebrake handle when you pull it? You the car should start to slow down at a light pace when you reach the 3rd click. I know the first time I did mine i loosened it too much. You may want to try to cycle the ebrake a bunch if you don't use it consistently.

Anyways, it is rather common for the rears to drag on our cars. How old are your brakes on the back. If they are relatively new, then they may just need to worn down a bit. If they aren't well I don't know lol. You may need a new rear cable. I know the driver side is always tighter then the passenger side for what ever reason.

Just past 1 rotation isn't too bad mine it was virtually as soon as I let go it stopped.