GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rollineuro ls1 FD RX7 build thread

Rollineuro

Go Kart Champion
As many know, my GTI has been parted out and is for sale in stockish form. I reached the end of the mod road with the Fap and decided there was nothing else that I would like done to it other than changing out wheels periodically. Anyways here is my newest addition to the crew, a 93 Mazda RX7 with an LS1/t56 swap.

I bought the car in fall from my buddy who did the ls swap on it. It is a super clean body, and mechanically flawless. Essentially, there was nothing that needed to be done other than drive the piss out of it and have fun, but that wasn't good enough for me. I want to get into road course racing this spring, so the overall goal is to have a car that is track oriented, but still a road car. Lets get on to the pictures.

The swap was done using a Hinson Supercars swap kit which ran about $5k + engine, trans, ecu, etc after being nicely accessorized. The engine and trans are from a donor 99 Firehawk that had about 60k miles.

The wheels I had on it originally were a totally custom set of Work VS-XX in 18x9.5et14 and 18x10.5et10ish, and were custom machined for sandwich mounting of the faces (the bolts no longer go through the faces) and step-lipped.

I drove the car around for a little while as it was, and then got the itch to mod it to my liking a little more. I am a pretty big guy at 6'4 260 and the FD is a fucking tiny machine. Seeing how the goal of the build is to be able to track this car competitively, I am ultimately gonna need to wear a helmet in this car. My head is in the sunroof cavity as it is, so I decided I needed to order a bucket seat to lower me down in the car a little. Upon further research, there are only a select few seats that fit in the FD to begin with, and then only a handful fit in XL sizing. After thought, I decided to order aluminum door panels from Bubbletech Inc. with pull straps. These panels were kind of pricey, but they do free up a couple of inches on each side for the seat, so I had to do it.

I still need to be able to enjoy the car from the inside, so the bare aluminum wouldn't do. Here they are after I spent some time and wrapped them in black suede.

The doors looked the part, but the rest of the interior was still stock and kinda lame, so I got a suede 330mm Sparco wheel. The wheel not only looks great, but it frees up some knee room for me as well. The seats at this point are the sought after suede R1 seats that were swapped in previous to my ownership.

At this point I was getting tired of the vsxx and the tiny tires I had to run on them (215/40 on the front 9.5s), so I sold them and got a set of my dream wheels in very rare sizing. These are 17x9et10 and 18x10et10 concave Volk Te37's, dat OG double staggered setup. The tires are r comp 265s on the back and 245s up front.

At this point it was getting cold and wet out, and on top of that the aggressive wheels and somewhat fat tires made the car undrivable. Into the garage she went for a couple months. During this time, I started amassing parts for the upcoming race season. On top of being a track monster, I want this car to break necks on the street lol, so I bought some rather obnoxious parts. Among these parts are 25mm feed front fenders, some mazdaspeed sideskirts, a 70 inch carbon gt wing, a spec-s front bumper, hotwaterlabs HID headlights ($1000 :eyebulge:). I'll get into the build and pics in the next post. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dutchy

Go Kart Champion
Oh man. This boner, what do I do with it?

Rollineuro

Go Kart Champion
Any of you who are up still I'm putting together part two of my original post which will bring the car up to present. Gimme about 10-15 minutes.

Rollineuro

Go Kart Champion
Alright here are the headlights

They are made by hotwaterlabs per order and IMO are the most badass lights for an rx7 you can buy.
Here is the seat. Sparco Evo3 made for bigger gentlemen such as myself. Kinda pricey but super comfortable and fits perfectly.

Here is a test fit of the gt wing in my garage (it is just set on the decklid for height testing). I designed custom stands for the wing that mount to the bumper support in back and come up behind the decklid. The blueprints are getting sent out tomorrow to my cnc guy.

I installed airride on the car in the meantime lol

The other night my buddy and I decided to start the razek0r build so I had to get it to the shop. The forecast calling for 5 inches of snow each of the next two days dictated I had to get the car there THAT night, so at 12am I swapped the front wheels to the rear, and put some narrow gramlights on the front to get me the 20 miles to the shop. There was packed snow all over, so I averaged about 15-25 mph the entire trip, spending most of it somewhat sideways....I also had to accelerate from stops in 4th....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=426961784100793
(not sure if that video will work for you guys)
and
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152207434102363

Anyways I made it to the shop

Got to work right away tearing it down (took a while for it to sink in that we were tearing apart such a beautifully solid FD, but the end result will SO be worth it)

I came up with the joke with my buddy that all 90s japanese cars had interchangeable bumpers so we put one of his spare mr2 bumpers on the bumper support....and it pretty much fit lolol....

He has a well respected wheel refinishing business and he shared the picture on there implying we are doing an mr2 front conversion.......people were jizzing left and right. He informed me the next day that during the am hours after he posted that picture, he got two emails with magazine features for the car.....what haha.

Anyways, the car is going to be stripped properly, and I'm going to run a half interior with a 4 point cage and sparco evo3 seat.

I am continuing on with the suede theme the wheel and doors currently rock so i have done the dash and some console pieces.

Radio delete, and useless knob delete

OK on to the bodywork. We are widening the fronts by 25mm via Feed fenders, and doing completely custom stock metal/fiberglass 50+mm rear fenders in my own design. The wheels we are using for the flares are my buddies one off 3 piece BBS LMs on Rcomp 295s (I'm desperately trying to get him to sell them to me)

Here we are measuring and mocking up the custom wing supports

Now the custom cuts in the fenders. We will be shaving the rear sidemarkers, and building up the fenders in fiberglass for a super-aggressive widebody look.

on to the cutting

We got about 3 inches (edited from 40-45mm due to more bangin) out of the stock metal pull, and will end up with a bit more after the fiberglass is all done. Either way I will be able to fit an 18x12et0 with a smaller tire, or an aggressive 10/11 with super meaty tire (I want to run something no smaller than a 295. 305s or 315s would be cool).

The feed front fenders

The Spec S front bumper

That is how it is as of now. Pretty decent progress considering we've worked on it maybe 20 hours and it was a complete car on Sunday haha. I will be painting the car paint code 7a1 from a Porsche GT3, inside and out. Subscribe for updates!

DISREGARD THE ANGLED TAPE ON THE DRIVERS SIDE THAT ISN'T THE CUT LINE THE PICS WERE FOR PRE-PULLED WHEEL FITMENT ONLY

Last edited:

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
about time something interesting comes up.

this is amazing.

now don't go off trying to scam others with your fs parts and get this closed.