GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

lowering springs stock struts..Problem?

PorscheGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
has any one had problems with putting lowering springs on stock struts?
i've heard that it can blow the strut out. i've also heard that there is no problem with doing this. just wondering if this is valid for a mkv.

Chaseme

springs are the new bags
Car(s)
Black Rabbit
It's hit or miss; some go with stock struts for thousands and thousands of miles no problems; others go a fraction of that and they blow out.

Personally, I have had no problem and I've had H&R Sport springs for about 1000miles.

You are more likely to blow them with lower springs (50mm; 2inch) but it isn't something that kept me and hundreds of others on here run stock shocks.

MkV_2.5

Ready to race!
worst that will happen, you'll have to change the shocks... it's worth giving it a try, it may last 2 years... may last 6 weeks

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
This question is asked everyday, can't answer it, depends on how much of a drop, how shitty your roads are, your specific struts etc.... try without, unless you can afford to do it now, then you can save from not having to do a second install.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
prokits for me... 10 months and 10k (car has 30k overall) miles and the stock shocks are shot...FSDs going on tomorrow :)

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
I still can't figure out why people put springs with way too high of a spring rate on shocks valved to handle a specific spring height and rate. When you decrease the spring height, and add a ton of rate, you're asking for a shitty ride, and blown shocks.

daleCarlsbad

Passed Driver's Ed
I still can't figure out why people put springs with way too high of a spring rate on shocks valved to handle a specific spring height and rate. When you decrease the spring height, and add a ton of rate, you're asking for a shitty ride, and blown shocks.

What TheJakofallTrads said :thumbsup:

Do it right, or don't do it at all. Can't afford the struts.....save up for them!