GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stance on spoiled kids?

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
I don't see a problem with it.

I had my car purchased for me when I graduated High School.

Some people are just more fortunate than others, that's how life is :wink:

How they choose to act with it, is a different story.

temptazn

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't see a problem with it.

I had my car purchased for me when I graduated High School.

Some people are just more fortunate than others, that's how life is :wink:

How they choose to act with it, is a different story.

That's suprising, it seems like nearly everyone here hated us high school kiddies. I'm going into my junior year and one of my friends has had a Land Rover LR3 sitting in the driveway as she waits to get her lisence, and another kid has a Shelby GT500. Both courtesy of their parents, of course. And then there's the 30 or so BMW's and Mercedes in the lot.

AdvanSuper

Banned
U JELLY?!

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
Meh, if my parents could have offered to buy me a new car I can't say I would turn it down - Instead, I bought them theirs.

I inherited my grandparents '87 Celebrity for a first car. Wasn't worth much more than $1000 but it did the job. In my opinion, no kid deserves a new car. Give them a piece of shit that needs some fixing. Teaches a lot of values.

FightinScot

Save the wee tootles
Car(s)
07 MKV GTI
It depends on the kid. A guy 2 classes above me in high school was given a early 90's 911 (this was in 2000 or so). He drove sensibly, not cocky about it and was grateful he was given it. Knew another kid given a 5 series on the day he got a license. Ungrateful, drove like a prick, nearly killed himself in it. Not to mention all the prissy bitches who were given the new Eclipse or what not and complained about how they hated the color or whatever else.

I was given a hand me down 1990 Civic and was damn happy to have it. Crumpled fender and all.

I don't agree though with parents buying their high school aged kids brand new cars or luxury vehicles. It is often parents trying to show off their wealth and not teaching their kids anything. And don't get me started on the high performance stuff. It is like the novice motorcyclist jumping on a Busa or something similar. It is an organ donation waiting to happen.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Actually, to be fair.

I was given a 2003 Toyota Matrix first.

I actually make my own Car-Payments, just not my own insurance, which is why i'm in a 4-DR DSG. That was the deal from my parents :biggrin:

Regardless, I don't see anything wrong with it. If the kid drives like a douchebag, then it doesn't matter whether they're in a brand new GTI that their parents bought, or a hand me down 1990 Civic. Who cares.

Some people are more fortunate, some are not. Some people teach their kids values different ways. Some kids, actually might have use for a car, whereas others just get one because their friends have one.

Who knows, lots of reasons, lots of factors :wink:

patrick b

Ready to race!
meh, I'm in HS and my parents bought this for me. I'm the only one i know around here that has one, and coming from my 05 f150 with 130k miles on it, it feels awesome.
Call it being spoiled, whatever. It was more like a good investment.

UberJAY

Go Kart Champion
my parents did it for me and as long as i can see that my kids' heads are on straight, i will do it for them.

utekineir

Banned
I'd sell my unborn children into child slavery to have a jacuzi in the livingroom.

Outside of that mkvs are getting to the point now where a parent who may be looking to get their kid something safe, good on gas, used but not too old/out of warranty may be looking at them in the low teen price range.

cskm

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
i agree with phil on this one. some are more fortunate than others. everyone has different morals and a sense of whats right and wrong. not our place to comment on how they raise their kids. not everyone who is considered 'spoiled' end up being lifes losers after their parents cut them off.

tricky713

Ready to race!
My parents bought me my first car, but if my parents were very wealthy do I think it would have been right for them to buy me a sports car? Hell no. I was tempted to do 120 in an economy car (which i did and received a fat ticket and beating for). Parents who buy their kids sports cars don't love their children. A new driver cannot handle the power of a sports car and if they are sensible parents they would know that.