GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17" OEM Summer tires

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
When I purchased my GTI two months ago, I requested summer tires. Last night I was browsing over my window sticker and found out that the car actually has all-season tires. Dumbfounded, I look them up on TireRack and sure enough, ContiProContact tires are all-season!

Called up my salesman not too long ago and inquired about summer tires....he told me that the 17" wheels only came with the all-season tires and had no option for summer tires (only the 18" Hufs do). If you look on your window sticker under performance/handling (first section), last item is "225/45 R 17 H summer performance tires". On mine, under Packages/Options it lists "17" High-Performance All-Seaon Tires".

After searching for summer tires in this forums, I've come to realize that my salesman is either bullshitting me or doesn't know what he's talking about. Should I call my salesman again, speak with a manager, or talk to VWoA about the issue?

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Decided to call my salesman again. After questioning my reasoning for choosing summer tires (why would it matter to him?) he offered to speak with the manager and call me back. I have a feeling I know where this is going...

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I may be way off, but if I remember correctly...VW offered the summer tires originally and then decided not to offer them anymore. I think they were giving people up until about the end of April to trade their summer tires in for the all-seasons.

Could someone confirm or deny this for me??

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
I read somewhere on VWVortex that there wasn't an actual tire recall, VW mistakenly put summer tires on vehicles that were ordered with all-season tires. I don't know if this information is correct, though.

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Spoke with my salesman again. He basically said they have no recollection of my request and that they can't do anything at the moment. He did suggest I call VWoA...I'm on hold with them as I type.

He also tried to tell me again that all-season tires are what come standard and no summer tires are available....

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
DubtecV2 said:
I read somewhere on VWVortex that there wasn't an actual tire recall, VW mistakenly put summer tires on vehicles that were ordered with all-season tires. I don't know if this information is correct, though.

Yeah that's probably what I was thinking of. I read way too much on this site to remember the small details, haha.

Typical of the dealer to be a little "hazy" in remembering your request. If you are very upfront and get your demands across with VWoA, I would think they would try and help you out. Good luck, keep us updated.

PS, the All Seasons are standard, but there is no doubt that they also offered some summers.

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Argh....VWoA rep contacted the dealership I originally bought the car from - according to her both my salesman and the sales manager denied the fact that I had requested summer tires. VWoA rep firmly stated there's nothing they can do.

This shit really pisses me off......really beginning to dislike this whole VW experience.

erick.s

Autocross Champion
I have the Bridgestone RE050s on my car, which is the summer tire option. They are a no-cost option that the salesman can get when you place the order for the car - there is a specific order code for them. If you buy a car off the lot, I don't think you can get them unless the car has them already mounted. I happened to get them by accident - I was supposed to get the all seasons. When VW called me and asked if I wanted to swap them, I said no.

The big question is this - you've been driving the car for two months and never noticed that they were all-seasons. If you couldn't tell you were riding on all-seasons, why do you care all of a sudden?

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Actually, it's the other way around. The car comes standard with the RE050's, the all season 17's are the no cost optional tire. It says it right on the sticker on the left side "summer performance tires". I had them locate me one making sure it didn't have the no cost a/s tire option added on. Now I kind of wish I had the a/s's after seeing the treadlife rating of 140!!!! Most regions are going to have the a/s tires on them just because of snow. I made sure I was fully knowledgeable of what I was getting, except that treadwear rating. What is it on your A/S tires?

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
I have summers on my 17's, from what ive found out (from just asking the people in orlando with 17's) its hit or miss, there were some of us here that got continentals and two of us that got bridgestone potenza's, so i would try a different dealer and see what you can work out with them!

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
I'm not even going to bother with. No use getting pissed off even more when I doubt the outsome will change .I've lived with them for two months and have only been somewhat disappointed. Still makes me mad that both my salesman and the sales manager told the VWoA rep that I did not request summer tires, even though I did....

I'm moving and won't have to deal with that dealership again, thankfully.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
DubtecV2 said:
This is correct, VWNA called me about 4 days after hvaing my car asking me if i could like a free correction, or i could keep my summer tires.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Yea I got the potenza all season tires...I had similar ones on my prelude and liked them a lot so I cant complain with these tires sport or all weather