GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 WRX Discussion Thread

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
You won't be driving a WRX then.

Don't get this. We would get people on the wrx forum sometimes who said they couldn't get a test drive.

We'd just tell em to go to another dealership. No way would I ever buy a car without driving it first, and it's still just a tarted up econobox, not a damn Ferrari.

Going to a different dealership almost always worked, but it did seem that there were somewhat localized test-drive-blackouts, where the Subaru dealerships in a particular area would all be douches. More seemed to let you drive one than not though.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
frankly im shocked by how subaru managed to put so much aggressive styling to the car but still somehow made it look bland. you look at the extreme fender flares, huge rear diffuser, exhaust, spoiler, hood scoop, front sweeping grill and somehow yet, its corolla-esk. i get styling vs function but will this trend of making cars absolutely larger and larger as the years go by ever stop?

Manufacturers express to the public, 50 more hp much faster...(small words at bottom of the screen, starting at $5,000 more and 400 lbs more). Crazy idea but id really like to see a car manufacturer release a throwback limited edition series. Supra body, with the aftermarket body mods tuners would do from the factory..fix all the old problems, bring back the old engine with some revised interior at a good price point. You got me sold. "Supra 20th Anniversary" .

New civics are larger than the old accords...its really getting out of hand. 10 years from now a mini cooper is gonna be the size of a ford expedition

This on all 3 counts.

Nothing looks that good.

Much active. So lifestyle. Wow

That rear wheel...

man. dudeguy's review... he is just constantly jizzing the entire time. I really want to see one of the MT reviews now... and spank to it.

Thought you meant Motor Trend's review at first sight. Definitely want to see what this thing can do in their figure 8. I bet it's going to be really good.

hate the chubby guy, but... another review. fack, no MT still.

Yeah these guys are super awkward and usually pretty annoying. Really low production value. But they usually have a great perspective that sounds a lot more like a real human being than most cookie-cutter automotive journalists (Talking to you, Autoblog.).

I won't be making a jump for a long while. Test drives, doe. I will be making plenty of those.

This. I bought the GTI relatively new because I was planning on keeping it a long time. Love those test drives. Keeping my appetite for STs and 'Stangs at bay.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
From C&D's review:

[The CVT] does come incredibly close to mimicking a really good automatic transmission.

Interesting that they didn't directly say it was a really good transmission? I wonder if everyone was just really surprised that it was a good CVT, not necessarily a good automatic. Won't matter to performance enthusiasts as I'm sure they're all checking the "MT" box, but a CVT raising the bar for all automatics is good for competition's sake.

It'll also be really interesting to see how the CVT takes power adders.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
From C&D's review:

Interesting that they didn't directly say it was a really good transmission? I wonder if everyone was just really surprised that it was a good CVT, not necessarily a good automatic. Won't matter to performance enthusiasts as I'm sure they're all checking the "MT" box, but a CVT raising the bar for all automatics is good for competition's sake.

I'm curious about that as well.

Interesting factoid. In the "2015 wrx" thread on my wrx forum, there are already a couple of longterm members who are stating they will be getting a cvt.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I am expecting nothing but positive press for this... i mean it's getting a little old. It's like BRZ all over again... amazeballs... at the end of the day its still just an improved version of the previous car. Nothing amazing here...

but we're already tossing around 911 comparisons, S4 comparisons god knows what else.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Don't get this. We would get people on the wrx forum sometimes who said they couldn't get a test drive.

We'd just tell em to go to another dealership. No way would I ever buy a car without driving it first, and it's still just a tarted up econobox, not a damn Ferrari.

Going to a different dealership almost always worked, but it did seem that there were somewhat localized test-drive-blackouts, where the Subaru dealerships in a particular area would all be douches. More seemed to let you drive one than not though.

I guess because I was in California at the time? It is all location dependent.

From C&D's review:

CVTs blow ASS. They're the least engaging worst transmission design to date. Efficient, blah blah, don't care. They fucking suck to drive. If Subaru figured out a way to make it not completely suck, then they win and people will be impressed. It'll never be better than a traditional automatic. Dual clutch automated manuals are the only acceptable form of auto IMO.

I'm curious about that as well.

Interesting factoid. In the "2015 wrx" thread on my wrx forum, there are already a couple of longterm members who are stating they will be getting a cvt.

They need a swift kick to the testicles since they clearly won't be needing them anymore. Fucking nancies.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
I am expecting nothing but positive press for this... i mean it's getting a little old. It's like BRZ all over again... amazeballs... at the end of the day its still just an improved version of the previous car. Nothing amazing here...

but we're already tossing around 911 comparisons, S4 comparisons god knows what else.

Subaru press trips are insanely legit. They don't want to miss out on it.

Comparing to the 911 is fucking ridiculous. It's a turbocharged AWD Versa SEDAN. Nothing about that comes close to the 911. THIS is why you take "professional" reviews with a grain of salt.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yea, its like every time a niche model comes out, it is like the end of the world.
Mustang
Camaro
Corvette
BRZ
WRX
370z
etc... every time there is a new gen there is some kind of press pandemonium of jizzing all over the pre production cars.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
Subaru press trips are insanely legit. They don't want to miss out on it.

Comparing to the 911 is fucking ridiculous. It's a turbocharged AWD Versa SEDAN. Nothing about that comes close to the 911. THIS is why you take "professional" reviews with a gallon of the kool-aid.

Fixored. This IS the internets afterall.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Yea, its like every time a niche model comes out, it is like the end of the world.
Mustang
Camaro
Corvette
BRZ
WRX
370z
etc... every time there is a new gen there is some kind of press pandemonium of jizzing all over the pre production cars.

These cars don't make the OEMs a ton of money, they exist solely to build enthusiasm for the brand. The press trips make the journalists jizz all over themselves. They could have even just driven unmodified Imprezas with hood scoops and the reaction would be the same. It's a little ridiculous.

Fixored. This IS the internets afterall.

Oh, nice work!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
These cars don't make the OEMs a ton of money, they exist solely to build enthusiasm for the brand. The press trips make the journalists jizz all over themselves. They could have even just driven unmodified Imprezas with hood scoops and the reaction would be the same. It's a little ridiculous.

Oh, nice work!

Yep that's exactly what I am getting at... its almost annoying at this point. I can't read any pre production reviews period, they exaggerate the features of each car... not only that but frequently the manufacturer provides Ringer cars... esp on the turbo version.

All the sudden they boost to 12psi and factory versions boost to 10... aka the 335i launch vehicles etc.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Yep that's exactly what I am getting at... its almost annoying at this point. I can't read any pre production reviews period, they exaggerate the features of each car... not only that but frequently the manufacturer provides Ringer cars... esp on the turbo version.

All the sudden they boost to 12psi and factory versions boost to 10... aka the 335i launch vehicles etc.

Exactly.

Nothing fapworthy in this thread until one of us can actually drive one.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion

*cough* Ferrari *cough*

Auto reviews do suck. It all comes down to actual test drives. And even then, its hard to gauge a car when a salesman is sitting right next to you, and you can't drive the hell out of the car because its still in the break-in period.

Balls.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Exactly.

Nothing fapworthy in this thread until one of us can actually drive one.

I don't know if I'd say that just yet. The previous car was a hoot to drive. Just had a shit-tastic interior, shit seats, shit transmission, and tons of body roll. We can see from pictures that the interior got quite the upgrade. Seats were reworked. And so I'd say it comes down to the transmission and suspension. And if they upgraded those even slightly, it will make for a pretty darn awesome little car.