GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
So does the exterior... non cloudy headlights (90% are) and no scratches on the rear bumper.

I had a detail guy buff some cloudiness out of the gf's car....HOLY SHIT. I bought a kit and didn't get it done....I thought my technique was off...as it turned out you have to sand and buff the absolute shit out of those fuckers if they are seriously clouded up....but they will turn out nice eventually. I mean it takes a LOT of physical effort.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I don't know why because it's old news, but that made me literally LOL.

Just get a fun car as well that gets better MPG. GC and FURBURZS or something would be cool, but then you don't have your badge and powah.

You know before all this ... I had the GC and my C5 :laugh: Fucking Turdi threw everything out of the mix

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I had a detail guy buff some cloudiness out of the gf's car....HOLY SHIT. I bought a kit and didn't get it done....I thought my technique was off...as it turned out you have to sand and buff the absolute shit out of those fuckers if they are seriously clouded up....but they will turn out nice eventually. I mean it takes a LOT of physical effort.

Pro tip: use tome kind of orbital buffing device.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
You know before all this ... I had the GC and my C5 :laugh: Fucking Turdi threw everything out of the mix

I would have said C5 :lol: but I know you don't want another one. That sounds like a great combo to me. You would then have two old cars though.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

You have to use orbital buffer. Works fast too... But the main issue is it'll never be like OEM, they will cloud up in 6-12 months vs 4-5 years new.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Pro tip: use tome kind of orbital buffing device.

I would have said C5 :lol: but I know you don't want another one. That sounds like a great combo to me. You would then have two old cars though.

Dafuq.... look at the latest two posts.

No C5 for me, I am done with that car. Hell even the C6 is kinda blah to me unless grand sport.

I am also not super fond of very old cars with a lot of miles... they start to have some weird issues.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
You to use orbital buffer. Works fast too... But the main issue is it'll never be like OEM, they will cloud up in 6-12 months vs 4-5 years new.

After I saw Juan (real name, not racist name) buffing the crap of these things and then leaving the rest of the finish on the car like a mirror and requesting only $75, I think I'll let him do it.

I gave him a hundo, he could have charged me $150 and it would have been more than fair.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That will be Juan Hundred Dollars :laugh:

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
After thinking about the whole plac resale value thing, I'm thinking I should just get a unicorn 1999 911 with sport seats and LSD options and drive that fucker every day for 10 years with no depreciation. I just hope the prices wait another year or two before skyrocketing because I can't buy one yet.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
After thinking about the whole plac resale value thing, I'm thinking I should just get a unicorn 1999 911 with sport seats and LSD options and drive that fucker every day for 10 years with no depreciation. I just hope the prices wait another year or two before skyrocketing because I can't buy one yet.

Yeah, put 100k miles on that thing and sell it for $10k of real (not plac) profit.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion

You can get a 996 in good condition for mid-20s. Then sell it for $10k in 5-8 years. Not a bad way to spend $15k.
Just be wary of the infamous IMS bearing problem and RMS issues. Otherwise they're supposedly pretty reliable.

FWIW I love the fried egg headlights, and never hated the 996 interiors.
They even had a blueple color, so troy spec.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI

C5 plus GC is a great combo, IMO.

DDing an SUV sux, doe. Would not recommend.

996 prices are probably going to stay low for a while, maybe indefinitely. They're pretty unloved universally, whereas the 997 isn't. 997 prices are getting VERY reasonable now (mid to low 30's for a decent one), so if a Porsche nut is going to acquiesce on the whole air-cooled thing, they'll probably buy a 997 before a 996...and there's nothing rare about 997's that would cause values to increase on those in the next 20 years. I think a 996 is a great buy if you fix the IMS, but you likely won't make anything other than placprofit on it.

You can get a 996 in good condition for mid-20s. Then sell it for $10k in 5-8 years. Not a bad way to spend $15k.
Just be wary of the infamous IMS bearing problem and RMS issues. Otherwise they're supposedly pretty reliable.

FWIW I love the fried egg headlights, and never hated the 996 interiors.
They even had a blueple color, so troy spec.

Dat. 10/10 would hoon.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Dat. 10/10 would hoon.

The price makes it a pretty attractive proposition. I mean... its as cheap or cheaper than his new Mazda 3i.

And if it blows the engine? You can probably still salvage or part it out and walk away with at least $6k. Sure it would be expensive then, but not a whole hell of a lot more than a new car.

Be sure to find one with some miles on it though, not a garage queen. Those are the ones that tend to destroy seals and bearings since they're never used. Find one with 50-80k on it to hoon around.