GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Camping at the track is awesome, but I wouldn't want to be taking the tent off the car in the morning before I go driving. It's nice to have a stand alone tent that you can relax in after sessions
IMG_20210529_161741_374.jpg

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
9/11 - I had just started a new job at a major insurance company the day before. IT dropped the ball, so I had a cube, but no PC, no phone, just my Motorola Razer. The first plane hit about an hour after I got to work. At 11:00 I was called into a Senior VP's office where he had a TV on the wall. The company had over 300 employees on the 13th floor of the South Tower. While we watched, we started planning on where we could set up a temporary workspace for these employees, while not even knowing if they were alive.
Capitalism is a helluva drug.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Off-Topic: Really considering to buy a roof tent for my GTI for future events like GRIDLIFE and GOLFMKX2022.

Do any of you think something like this is too much for our cars?

View attachment 246554

They said I could be anything in the world so I became overland as fuck.

Reactions: vu.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
9/11 - was just about to come off a 24hr observation post (OP) while augmenting 1BDE 25ID, had been in the field for about a week at that point. Got the radio call that the base camp was “jumping TOC” (throw that shit in a truck and GO), and all OPs were being pulled in. Few min later Stryker burned up to our extraction point, dropped ramp and they yelled to get in. We flew back to the TOC where shit was being torn down and stuffed in trucks.

LT pulls us into a school circle and lays out that the towers were hit. We don’t know our next orders but expect the unexpected. We’re told to grab an MRE and cycle through the ammo point on the camp to get fresh mags.

As I’m walking out of the ammo point, tired as shit, my buddy goes: Corprin, what the fuck is going on?!?
Me: some dumb ass scenario they cooked up, I just need some sleep, I’ll deal when I wake up.
Buddy: naa man, this is some shit.
Me: lulz dude you need sleep
Buddy: look in your mags, man
Me: <looking at mags in helmet loaded with live rounds> holy FUCK, this is real?!?!

Got back to the platoon TOC and grab chow, LT comes out and briefs that third plane hit Pentagon.

Moments later we are rolling back to main post where my BN is spinning up the ready company while the rest are getting their shit ready.

Because I was up for 29-30hrs at this point I was sent to get sleep. 10hrs later I was patrolling the close-in back 40 of post. 9/13 I was pulled for PSD for fancy people and currier duties where I did a whirlwind circle tour of the globe. DC, NYC, NC, UK, GE, NL, IT, XK, DJ, QA, JP, and back to WA.

Didn’t care about MJ enough to remember he died, had to Google CB. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I have camped. A lot. Last year spent 3 months traveling around remotely working in my 4runner. Roof top tents didnt even enter my mind because I had plenty of room to crash in the back of the SUV, with the girl, and we also had 2 spare ground tents just in case. The weight, height disadvantage, expense in terms of wind/gas/initial cost was all too much. I used some 80/20 and built out a simple platform in the back.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
9/11 - Sr year of high school, in history class, remember all classes stopping to watch the news reports on TV, then they sent everyone home early. My aunt and uncle were working a few blocks away (both ok). Also remember a lot of guys suddenly being worried about a draft and several classmates enlisting later that week.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I have camped. A lot. Last year spent 3 months traveling around remotely working in my 4runner. Roof top tents didnt even enter my mind because I had plenty of room to crash in the back of the SUV, with the girl, and we also had 2 spare ground tents just in case. The weight, height disadvantage, expense in terms of wind/gas/initial cost was all too much. I used some 80/20 and built out a simple platform in the back.

I miss the back of SUV camping, those were simpler times. Now family of four on the trail.

Kids are going bonkers knowing that the Taco comes out of lay-up next weekend.

cb1111

confession time:

I had to google Chester Bennington

okboomer
Me too. But then again, I remembered where I was when:

Kennedy was shot - living room floor - my parents were listening to the radio - I had no idea what happened, but I knew it wasn't good
Moon landing - watching on a teeny-tiny family TV
Bader Meinhof Gang (Red Army Faction) trying to blow up Air Force HQ at Ramstein Air Base - waiting in line to get on Ramstein
Attempted murder of Gen Kroesen in Heidelberg - at work in Heidelberg when we went on lockdown
Christian Klar arrest (also RAF) - Kaiserslautern when the cops knocked on my door and said "we need you to identify some stuff". Turns out he had a stack of US ID cards and went on a shopping spree - lots of top quality audio gear, cameras and stuff from class VI (alcohol). It turns out that I actually sold some of the audio to him (he kept the receipts - for warranty???? :ROFLMAO:) He had a nice house too.
Challenger - O club in Kaiserslautern
Elvis - I have the front page of the paper - no clue where I was
OJ - I remember watching the "chase" on TV.
MJ - I remember it, but no clue where I was
9/11 - first plane - elevator lobby in the DOT building (there were TVs in the lobbies). I went up to the command center and said "we have a problem".

Last edited:

cb1111

9/11 - Sr year of high school, in history class, remember all classes stopping to watch the news reports on TV, then they sent everyone home early. My aunt and uncle were working a few blocks away (both ok). Also remember a lot of guys suddenly being worried about a draft and several classmates enlisting later that week.
I read that as "5th year of high school".... and thought "that explains a lot" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
9/11 - was just about to come off a 24hr observation post (OP) while augmenting 1BDE 25ID, had been in the field for about a week at that point. Got the radio call that the base camp was “jumping TOC” (throw that shit in a truck and GO), and all OPs were being pulled in. Few min later Stryker burned up to our extraction point, dropped ramp and they yelled to get in. We flew back to the TOC where shit was being torn down and stuffed in trucks.

LT pulls us into a school circle and lays out that the towers were hit. We don’t know our next orders but expect the unexpected. We’re told to grab an MRE and cycle through the ammo point on the camp to get fresh mags.

As I’m walking out of the ammo point, tired as shit, my buddy goes: Corprin, what the fuck is going on?!?
Me: some dumb ass scenario they cooked up, I just need some sleep, I’ll deal when I wake up.
Buddy: naa man, this is some shit.
Me: lulz dude you need sleep
Buddy: look in your mags, man
Me: <looking at mags in helmet loaded with live rounds> holy FUCK, this is real?!?!

Got back to the platoon TOC and grab chow, LT comes out and briefs that third plane hit Pentagon.

Moments later we are rolling back to main post where my BN is spinning up the ready company while the rest are getting their shit ready.

Because I was up for 29-30hrs at this point I was sent to get sleep. 10hrs later I was patrolling the close-in back 40 of post. 9/13 I was pulled for PSD for fancy people and currier duties where I did a whirlwind circle tour of the globe. DC, NYC, NC, UK, GE, NL, IT, XK, DJ, QA, JP, and back to WA.

Didn’t care about MJ enough to remember he died, had to Google CB. 🤷‍♂️
Where is XK again?

Status
Not open for further replies.