GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
That's a very bad reason for doing it. Your career is your own to manage. Your coworkers should manage their own.

Take a cruise on LinkedIn and check the employment history of some of the managers you have an issue with. If any of them have worked at places you would like to work, sending this letter risks your future employment.

You also shared some personal information in that letter that would make it easy to identify you. I'd advisxe against this.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
That's a very bad reason for doing it. Your career is your own to manage. Your coworkers should manage their own.

Take a cruise on LinkedIn and check the employment history of some of the managers you have an issue with. If any of them have worked at places you would like to work, sending this letter risks your future employment.

You also shared some personal information in that letter that would make it easy to identify you. I'd advisxe against this.
I was just trying to lighten the mood.

Everyone here seems very hostile about this lol.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
I was just trying to lighten the mood.

Everyone here seems very hostile about this lol.
Theres a good amount of life experience in here from many industries. You asked a question, we answered our feelings on it.

In4updates on any fallout.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Sometimes when people disagree with you, you might view it as hostility.

Is this a good example of consensus reality?
I'm just your typical millennial who really doesn't give a shit about their job and whose average time at employers is ~1 year. 🤷‍♂️

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Theres a good amount of life experience in here from many industries. You asked a question, we answered our feelings on it.

Might have to look into the lawsuit thing..

Don't know how many active lawsuits I can handle at once though. One for my mother's wrongful death/medical malpractice. Another with an employer. 🤷‍♂️

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I was mostly looking for the "don't do it BECAUSE" reasons. However, most responses are just vague like "this will affect you in the future."

You don't do it because you never know. Nobody can say something specific.

But you never know...

Maybe one of the higher ups takes it personal. They hold a grudge against you. In a couple months, he's playing golf with his rich buddies. He's ranting after a couple cocktails, tells the story about this bullshit ex-employee who left to go to a movie theater (or where ever you're going). Huh, guess what? It's a small world, his rich friend knows somebody who knows a higher up at your current employer. Favors are called in, next thing you know your work life at your new job is in the shitter.

Realistically, will that happen? No, no it won't.

But could it?

Sure.

Because you never know...

The point everyone is trying to make is that potential negatives, which could be nothing, but again, potential negatives, outweigh any positive outcome that could happen.

I've only ever seen an email like that make a change once. Once! And it wasn't the same context of "The higher ups are assholes", because higher ups everywhere are assholes. It was "Hey, this higher up is doing illegal shit. Favoritism, accepting bribes and kickbacks, etc... And here's proof." And even then, it was almost 2 years before he finally left the company.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Might have to look into the lawsuit thing..

Don't know how many active lawsuits I can handle at once though. One for my mother's wrongful death/medical malpractice. Another with an employer. 🤷‍♂️
Sorry to hear of the other matter.

Worth asking the question to legal counsel

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

This.

We're telling you to be selfish and protect your own future prospects.

You ask us how can this affect you in the future? We don't know, no-one here has a crystal ball, and if it does have an effect you may never know it. Maybe you're applying for a job that you actually want a few years down the road and the hiring manager notices you worked at the same store that his buddy from xyz(social circle, country club, frat in college, neighbor, dude he met through a golf forum) operates. He calls up his buddy and says hey I've got this guy applying at my company apparently he worked for you, what do you think about him?

You'll never know that call happened, and you'll never know why you didn't get this other job you were going for. All that because you listened to your co-workers, who were being selfish themselves in telling you to send the email because there are potential (though far-fetched) upsides for them and no down-sides because it's no their name on the email.

You don't need to listen to us and this is exactly the opposite of us being hostile. We're giving you the best advice we can give based on our own experiences. If you don't agree that's okay. Differing viewpoints is a good thing, just don't say we didn't warn of potential fallout.

Status
Not open for further replies.