GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm glad your situation is improving.

I had a similar situation when I bought my first home, about a week before the foreclosure auction. I got a great deal from the bank, but the place needed major work. The closing was in December. The owner let the fuel oil run out, so the pipes burst in the basement. I learned to sweat copper real quick. It killed the burner motor so I replaced that. There was two feet of water in the basement before the realtor shut the water off. The realtor was super nice. She rented a trash pump and paid a junk company to remove all the soggy crap in the basement, including rolled up carpets with mushrooms growing on them. Meanwhilem all the owner's stuff was still in the house. One day he shows up with a U-Haul box truck, drove it into the front porch, destroying the gutter, and literally threw his crap into the truck and drove off.

About a week later, I had a constable knocking at my door, trying to serve me papers for the bastard. I had a copy of my signed deed application. That's the only thing that kept them away. This went on for months afterwards.

There are some real dickwads in this world.

I can't even imagine what the house is like on the inside. I never saw them move in anything big, really. Yet in the last 2 years, they've cleared out 4 full dumpsters of shit. How much shit can they have in the house? The house is the same as mine, just mirrored. We paid $200k before the housing boom back in 2018. My guess is someone will buy their house for $300k, put $25k into renovating it/fixing it up, then turn around and sell it for $400k after a couple of months.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
hope your new neighbors are a step up acadia!

i am so so happy to have the neighbors i have, jesus christ lol.

i now have at least met or slightly gotten to know everyone on my street. it's an excellent neighborhood full of outstanding citizens. Most have kids, everyone picks their dandelions, pays their bills, picks up garbage, etc. Thank fuck.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Also. Good news on the garbage pile rat neighbors (not the burning garage rat neighbors). They're finally out, and abandoned the house. My guess would be the electricity was about to be turned off (or already was), or the bank finally said "It's time to get the fuck out". Zillow was reporting the home as foreclosed on back in early 2020, but with all the Covid eviction moratoriums in place, nothing could be done.

They had 3x of those U-Haul U-Box shipping boxes delivered, loaded up, and taken away within 24 hours. Threw a bunch of trash on the curb (which I have doubts the city will pick up), then started burning a bunch of shit in the back yard.

View attachment 248925
(You can clearly see the line where my yard ends and theirs begins :ROFLMAO:)

View attachment 248926

Someone called the fire department (not us), and they had to put out their furniture bonfire. My guess would be the neighbors on the other side of them, because if that tree they were burning shit under caught fire, it could have gotten ugly and out of control fast.

But they're gone, left to live with family in NC.

Now if the neighbors on the other side of me finally get rid of their garbage pile (the one that caught fire), I could finally properly address the rat problem!
I had a rat problem this weekend. I had two sheds in the back yard at this property. The second shed was a disaster and I got rid of it last summer. That was the shed that held all the gardening tools etc... So I transferred that over to the wooden shed. I made the mistake of keeping some soil, fertilizer etc... in that shed. I needed to do yard work this past weekend and when I opened the shed, there was a rats nest and they had chewed a hole through the bottom of the shed to get to the fertilizer. As I opened the door, two ran out, scared the shit out of me, I couldn't kill them in time. Luckily dog was behind me and he smoked one immediately; the other fucker got away. I borded up the holes and got rid of all the fertilizer and soil that was in there.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
No way. You manage it the best that you can. Looks like a nice neighborhood to me.

It's not bad. Quiet. Most of our neighbors are great. Even the ones who almost burnt down their garage and have a giant trash pile, are super nice and friendly. Just a little white-trashy. Not scumbag-trashy like the set who just left were :ROFLMAO:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I can't even imagine what the house is like on the inside. I never saw them move in anything big, really. Yet in the last 2 years, they've cleared out 4 full dumpsters of shit. How much shit can they have in the house? The house is the same as mine, just mirrored. We paid $200k before the housing boom back in 2018. My guess is someone will buy their house for $300k, put $25k into renovating it/fixing it up, then turn around and sell it for $400k after a couple of months.
wow.

Just....wow.

I paid more for my first condo back in Chicago.

Moving out would be a terrible idea, especially now. My S/O and I started the mortgage process back when I was telling you about that one property we were looking at, and even a 10 year ARM is a stupid high rate right now. We decided to hit the pause button on the whole buying a house thing until next year, hopefully these rates will settle back down.............

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
wow.

Just....wow.

I paid more for my first condo back in Chicago.

Moving out would be a terrible idea, especially now. My S/O and I started the mortgage process back when I was telling you about that one property we were looking at, and even a 10 year ARM is a stupid high rate right now. We decided to hit the pause button on the whole buying a house thing until next year, hopefully these rates will settle back down.............
I would not bank on lower rates. The last 10 years were a complete anomaly. 5-10% has been the normal range for most of American history, with the exception of a period of hyper inflation (>10% rates) and the last couple years (<5% rates). If the Fed learned their lesson, they won't keep rates depressed as long as they did during a strong economy again. It's possible there will be a crash and short period of low rates to stimulate the economy again, but their whole plan is to gradually increase rates over the next 1-2 years to avoid that.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
My wife wanted to move because of it. But she doesn't really understand money and costs and whatnot. I had to explain we're not spending that amount of money because we have some trashy, albeit nice, neighbors. Neighbors are one of those things you just can't control. Even if we did move, spoke the new neighbors before buying a house, how do you know they won't move in 5 years and someone just as bad moves in? We supposed to take a bath and sell\buy a new house any time someone moves next to us we don't like?
if you have enough land between you, bad neighbors can be managed by a good fence on your property.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
not if the market correction happens.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It's possible there will be a crash and short period of low rates to stimulate the economy again, but their whole plan is to gradually increase rates over the next 1-2 years to avoid that.
This. In the short term i.e three years, my take is that rates will go down again; we are staring down the barrels of a recession. I maintain that the economy is actually not doing that well and what we are seeing is pent up demand from the pandemic; this is beginning to ease. They will pause/reduce rate hikes in the short term. I have variable mortgages on all my properties and the gap now is 2.5% in favour of variable vs fixed, at least here in Canada.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I would not bank on lower rates. The last 10 years were a complete anomaly. 5-10% has been the normal range for most of American history, with the exception of a period of hyper inflation (>10% rates) and the last couple years (<5% rates). If the Fed learned their lesson, they won't keep rates depressed as long as they did during a strong economy again. It's possible there will be a crash and short period of low rates to stimulate the economy again, but their whole plan is to gradually increase rates over the next 1-2 years to avoid that.
I've read so many conflicting things I don't know what to believe anymore.

Some very smart people say exactly the same thing and it makes perfect sense.

Other very smart people have said exactly the opposite, and they make compelling cases as well.

Either way I'm in no rush.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
hope your new neighbors are a step up acadia!

i am so so happy to have the neighbors i have, jesus christ lol.

i now have at least met or slightly gotten to know everyone on my street. it's an excellent neighborhood full of outstanding citizens. Most have kids, everyone picks their dandelions, pays their bills, picks up garbage, etc. Thank fuck.
You pick dandelions???

Status
Not open for further replies.