GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downshifting DSG?

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
So I've been having rough downshifts when going from 4-3 and 3-2 especially. I'm usually on the brake when i downshift and 3-2 is especially violent. I don't want to destroy my transmission but if I let the computer do the 3-2 it is very inconvenient and unless I'm firmly on the brakes it shudders pretty bad.

Yesterday I even had a grinding noise from 3-2.

How do you downshift this car smoothly?

I'm also at 5,100 miles.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Either there's something wrong with your mounts, or your DSG is on its way out. Maybe your DSG fluid is underfilled. Bring it in to the dealer.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Either there's something wrong with your mounts, or your DSG is on its way out. Maybe your DSG fluid is underfilled. Bring it in to the dealer.

This. The grinding is especially concerning. Do you only hear the grinding when you manually downshift? Does it behave the same when the DSG is shifting for you?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
How does it drive in Auto?
In manual mode mine shifts smooth no matter how I drive.
The only thing I suggest to others is when in manual mode that they let the car downshift from 2nd to 1st when stopping because 1st gear is so low that doing it manually is normally only smooth at only a stopped speed.

OP, I would line up dealer visit.
You have warranty. Have them check trans fluid level.
If it is ok in auto but bad in manual, then maybe program.
If you know another DSG owner or person who can drive manual, have them drive the car and see how it feels.

Also, can you drive a manual?
Reason I am asking as having manual experience helps as the DSG drive similar but with different way to shift.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
This. The grinding is especially concerning. Do you only hear the grinding when you manually downshift? Does it behave the same when the DSG is shifting for you?

I've only heard it a couple times on manual downshifts. In auto the car is fine, no problems except 3-2 can be rough when it downshifts.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
How does it drive in Auto?
In manual mode mine shifts smooth no matter how I drive.
The only thing I suggest to others is when in manual mode that they let the car downshift from 2nd to 1st when stopping because 1st gear is so low that doing it manually is normally only smooth at only a stopped speed.

OP, I would line up dealer visit.
You have warranty. Have them check trans fluid level.
If it is ok in auto but bad in manual, then maybe program.
If you know another DSG owner or person who can drive manual, have them drive the car and see how it feels.

In auto its fine, my 2-1 is actually smooth. I wait until its in N and shift below 5 mph.

I am going to the dealer next month for my oil change. My friend with a 6mt mk7 gti drove my car and said how nice it is with the dsg.

What should I tell the dealership?

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
In auto its fine, my 2-1 is actually smooth. I wait until its in N and shift below 5 mph.

I am going to the dealer next month for my oil change. My friend with a 6mt mk7 gti drove my car and said how nice it is with the dsg.

What should I tell the dealership?

Take it to the dealership as soon as possible. Don't wait a month. You're under warranty. Tell the service center that you're experiencing harsh shifting while in manual mode and that you can hear a grinding sound downshifting from 3 to 2.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Take it to the dealership as soon as possible. Don't wait a month. You're under warranty. Tell the service center that you're experiencing harsh shifting while in manual mode and that you can hear a grinding sound downshifting from 3 to 2.

Ok thank you, I'll call today and see if I can bring it in tmmrw or next week.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Ok thank you, I'll call today and see if I can bring it in tmmrw or next week.

Remember that if they don't find anything, at the very least it was documented and only cost you your time. That way if something does happen later on, you have inviolable proof that you alerted them to an issue prior to it becoming a problem, and that can be a great benefit for getting a warranty service claim approved.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Remember that if they don't find anything, at the very least it was documented and only cost you your time. That way if something does happen later on, you have inviolable proof that you alerted them to an issue prior to it becoming a problem, and that can be a great benefit for getting a warranty service claim approved.

Yeah that’s a solid plan. Thank you for the help.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
agree....hopefully folks won't be getting stuff done to there car cause the 3 day wknd. Def mention grinding. That ain't never good (unless dancing)

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
So I've been having rough downshifts when going from 4-3 and 3-2 especially. I'm usually on the brake when i downshift and 3-2 is especially violent. I don't want to destroy my transmission but if I let the computer do the 3-2 it is very inconvenient and unless I'm firmly on the brakes it shudders pretty bad.

Yesterday I even had a grinding noise from 3-2.

How do you downshift this car smoothly?

I'm also at 5,100 miles.

I paddle down shift 4-3 when the RPM is over 2500 to get a smooth shift.
For 3-2 I would need to be near 3000RPM or higher to get a seamless downshift.
Since I'm a MT driver (I bought the DSG GTI when I injured my left ankle) I blip the throttle when I down shift 3-2 at lower RPM or even 2-1 at 10mph or less to get a seamless shift. Otherwise it will jerk. And for someone like me who's an avid MT driver, any jerking by the trans is annoying. I liked the dynamic of the GTI so I bought my MT Golf-R about a year after. I don't have this issue on my R obviously.

I think your car is normal..
It is one of the annoyances of the DSG.