GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DWB - Driving while being Black?

Was this a clear case of prejudice?

• Yes. Cop (even though he was Hispanic) was being racist

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No. This happens to everyone...ok, well...a lot.

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
balls.

ltdan48

Passed Driver's Ed
Just so you know, I was pulled over in my GTI when I had paper plates on it. Routine stop by Florida Highway Patrol. I've seen it many times. Also, I'm white. The cop was white. The cop was also the father of one of my firefighters, got no special treatment. I also received no ticket, just a, have a nice day after my info was checked. Nothing in your description sounded racist to me. It sounded like a routine stop. You don't have to be doing anything at all wrong to be stopped. Cops will often tail vehicles and run their plates, but that doesn't always work with temp tags. To think that this was racist makes me ashamed. People want racism to go away and to be treated equally, but that can never happen if people are trying to make everything into a race issue. Why can't it just be some cop pulled me over and checked my tags? Not everything that happens to blacks or hispanics is due to race. And guess what, people of every race deal with racism against them...even white people. Ever been told you can't do something because of your race? I've been told I can't do stuff because of mine. Ever get passed over on a job that you were more qualified for because of your race? So have I. Get over yourself, act like the rational adult you claim to be, and don't act like you're traumatized because of this. You and the kids got embarrassed, but you weren't traumatized. And if you actually were traumatized, then I feel sorry for you when something actually bad happens...

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
Just so you know, I was pulled over in my GTI when I had paper plates on it. Routine stop by Florida Highway Patrol. I've seen it many times. Also, I'm white. The cop was white. The cop was also the father of one of my firefighters, got no special treatment. I also received no ticket, just a, have a nice day after my info was checked. Nothing in your description sounded racist to me. It sounded like a routine stop. You don't have to be doing anything at all wrong to be stopped. Cops will often tail vehicles and run their plates, but that doesn't always work with temp tags. To think that this was racist makes me ashamed. People want racism to go away and to be treated equally, but that can never happen if people are trying to make everything into a race issue. Why can't it just be some cop pulled me over and checked my tags? Not everything that happens to blacks or hispanics is due to race. And guess what, people of every race deal with racism against them...even white people. Ever been told you can't do something because of your race? I've been told I can't do stuff because of mine. Ever get passed over on a job that you were more qualified for because of your race? So have I. Get over yourself, act like the rational adult you claim to be, and don't act like you're traumatized because of this. You and the kids got embarrassed, but you weren't traumatized. And if you actually were traumatized, then I feel sorry for you when something actually bad happens...

Excuse me, but the average person on the street would be screaming "WTF?!" if he or she was stopped for having something that comes on every new car. They don't see it as "routine", they see it as "ridiculous and confusing", and would be left to wonder what motivated the cop to pull them over if there was no violation of any sort in the first place.

Most people don't have police officers in the family or extended family or close friends or anything and don't travel in those circles, and since they are law-abiding, are completely unaware of the rationale behind things like routine stops. We are just left to assume based solely on the evidence given, and using process of elimination, hence the reason for me asking both questions, and creating the poll.

I was very willing to give this officer the benefit of the doubt for stopping us with no apparent reason, which is far more than most of the people on this thread have extended towards me, a fellow v-dubber. I don't need to "get over myself" and "us people" aren't always making everything a race issue.

Thank you for your service, and also for your answer to my question of being pulled over for having paper plates.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
My dealer offered me paper plates or the plates off my trade in so I took my old ones.