GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Earth Dreams Engine Upgrade Coming to Honda Civic

adolan21

Ready to race!
I believe the only Honda models that aren't doing well in sales are the Insight, the Fit, and the CRZ. I think the low Fit's sales have something to do with production in Japan and how Honda stated they were "losing money" on every one they sold because of the currency exchange. Not sure if I believe that but who knows it could be true.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if we'll ever see a Civic hatch in the US again. I have a lot of friends with 8th gen Civics and a few with Fits and it seems like the Civics actually get better MPG, which would be a good reason to choose Civic hatch over a Fit.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Honda right now in america is possibly the most "boring" car company there is. Even Kia and Hyundai have something of a performance model. Honda has dick I really don't know what happened with them. I guess they just dropped the enthusiast market all together. If this Unicorn of yours is really all that they have a lot of work to do and anything with Earth Dreams in the name just kills my libido.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
No different than "Skyactiv"...just PR marketing names to group some overarching design strategy under some umbrella...

Not great though when the first time I heard the term it was applied to the 2007/2008 Honda F1 car....those, by anyone's measure, are garbage...

I've been in the new Accord though, thats a seriously nice mid-sizer, with good MPG and pulls pretty damn good for a base 4 cylinder. Honda is still strong at making good engine and powertrain. They just need more interesting products...

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
So what exactly are these Earth Dream engines? It says they are already in the Accord but I didnt see any specific details on what makes these engines anything better than a normal engine? Whats the deal or hook with these that makes them worth designating such a lofty name like "Earth Dream"?

No different than "Skyactiv"...just PR marketing names to group some overarching design strategy under some umbrella...

Not great though when the first time I heard the term it was applied to the 2007/2008 Honda F1 car....those, by anyone's measure, are garbage...

I've been in the new Accord though, thats a seriously nice mid-sizer, with good MPG and pulls pretty damn good for a base 4 cylinder. Honda is still strong at making good engine and powertrain. They just need more interesting products...

This plus I think they are finally direct injection.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Honda right now in america is possibly the most "boring" car company there is. Even Kia and Hyundai have something of a performance model. Honda has dick I really don't know what happened with them. I guess they just dropped the enthusiast market all together. If this Unicorn of yours is really all that they have a lot of work to do and anything with Earth Dreams in the name just kills my libido.

I haven't seen anything remotely sporty other than apparance from hyundai/kia outside of the genesis coupe everything else just seems flashy looking without the sporty driving feel.

johnnyveelish

Go Kart Champion
I believe the only Honda models that aren't doing well in sales are the Insight, the Fit, and the CRZ. I think the low Fit's sales have something to do with production in Japan and how Honda stated they were "losing money" on every one they sold because of the currency exchange. Not sure if I believe that but who knows it could be true.

the fit has a very low profit margin. sales is very good but not very profitable.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
the fit has a very low profit margin. sales is very good but not very profitable.

This. The Fit makes a lot of its money in volume. However, with our new plant in Celaya, MX that'll definitely help boost the profit a little more by supplying Canadian, North and South American production.

And no, just because its in Mexico doesn't mean it's crap lol

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
This. The Fit makes a lot of its money in volume. However, with our new plant in Celaya, MX that'll definitely help boost the profit a little more by supplying Canadian, North and South American production.

And no, just because its in Mexico doesn't mean it's crap lol

OMG OMG OMG MADE IN MEXICO AAHHHHH DON'T WANT FIT UNLESS IT'S MADE IN GERMANY... ERR... JAPAN?

McQueen77

Banned
Earth Dreams, SkyActiv.. How about the new Kia line of Mystical Rainbow engines? Gay. The new Honda biodegradable Mountain Mist line of sensible family sedans that no one would ever look twice at, now complete with high tech rubberband transmission with simulated gear changes! Now pat yourself on the back for buying something totally sensible... runs on pure, refined organic hummus and gets 59 mpg!

At least Honda got the memo like 35 years late to attempt to make a turbo diesel.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
But that's Honda's MO. They're not always evolutionary. They normally take what's out there, make it better and more reliable, and make it cheaper without sacrificing that construction quality.

The engine monikers are a bit gimmicky , but it sells right? What's awesome is that Honda STILL has great gas mileage without all the DI technology, its more than just engine physics.

We've been making diesels for a long long time. We've never offered it here and I don't believe we plan to.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
OMG OMG OMG MADE IN MEXICO AAHHHHH DON'T WANT FIT UNLESS IT'S MADE IN GERMANY... ERR... JAPAN?

Exactly. Those people work harder than a lot of our American Line workers.