GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enabling static cornering lights in the VW Golf with factory fitted fog lights

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Enabling static cornering lights in the Volkswagen Golf Mark V (Mark VI is covered in it's own guide) only requires a few changes via Vagcom/VCDS.

The cornering function works when your headlights are activated (either manually or via the RLS) under the following conditions

The indicator is activated either by holding it down or clicking it into position (not when comfort indicating)
The car is in P, N, D, S or Manual (not when in reverse)
The steering wheel is turned away from the straight ahead position.
The speed is under 50kph (once the car drops below this speed the light will activate and once it goes above this speed the light will fade off)
The fog light on the side of the car that the wheel is turned towards will light up, depending on the speed of the steering wheel the light will either fade in slowly or turn on instantly but the light will always fade out slowly.

You will need a 30 Byte Central Electronics Convenience Module (CECM) which are fitted to MY08's models onwards.

Full details and instructions here - Enabling static cornering lights in the Volkswagen Golf Mark V with factory fitted fog lights

iluvbrownale

White Lightning
Maverick - couple of questions (or more..)

- legality of using foglights in non fog conditions? one could argue perhaps using only a foglights as opposed to foglights.

- would be more effective with projector fogs? (i actually don't understand what a 'projector' fog is, so feel free to clarify!)

- could the dealer do this (for non-vag com people)?

Booba

Ready to race!
Not entirely sure on this but I don't know how adr works.

Something that is legal on one car might not be legal on the other. the Merc/Lexus could have been complied with this standard but golfs never were.

Someone could probably clarify whether it is legal to turn on a feature on brand x because brand y has it.

No issue with legality in Aus as this feature is standard on all Mercs bulit from 2007 onwards and some Lexus models.

macad

apple pixel pusher
LOL, Maverick's recommending using fog lights now!

buckets

Ready to race!
Awesome find, just need a Vagcom now :(

If your profile indicated where you're from, you might have people offer their assistance.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Pretty cool it works on MK5 too.

Doubt you'd get pulled over if they happen to see u turning at low speeds or even notice it, and wouldn't know if the car came with it or not.

Booba

Ready to race!
Yeah i was going to turn them on but imo the fogs make jack all difference in illumination.

Pretty cool it works on MK5 too.

Doubt you'd get pulled over if they happen to see u turning at low speeds or even notice it, and wouldn't know if the car came with it or not.

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Does it really make much difference in terms of better lighting. I only ever use my foggies when there is actual fog around, derrr! They're not overly powerful.

Certainly a nice easy mod when you have access to Vagcom, which I don't. That, and the fact that my 2006 model would probably need a replacement CECM, it's most likely not worth it.

Well done Maverick. It's great that you share this sort of thing.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Maverick - couple of questions (or more..)

- legality of using foglights in non fog conditions? one could argue perhaps using only a foglights as opposed to foglights.

I don't see any problems as it's only under certain conditions at low speed when turning the wheel or indicating and many cars have this feature out of the box.

- would be more effective with projector fogs? (i actually don't understand what a 'projector' fog is, so feel free to clarify!)

Yes, I'm considering this path (with halogen bulbs) as the light spreads out to the side further and this further reduces the chances of annoying other drivers. However the supply of projector fogs for the Mark V seems to have dried up, they used to be available from parts4euro for under $100 delivered and ebay for around the same.

- could the dealer do this (for non-vag com people)?

Maybe but it's not supported by Volkswagen so they may not want to do it. Also for the legality issue at the top as they wouldn't want to be responsible if you did get a ticket (which is very unlikely I would think).