GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Foreign Car Haters

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
maybe we should build better competing domestics so people will want to drive them rather than feeling like we have to. or maybe tap more of our oil and support our economy by giving less of our money to terroristic countries that want to kill us anyway. as far as detroit goes, "WAAAAA" to you. we already bailed you out once, you cant expect me to drive a pos caliber ass well. eff the haters, enjoy VW!

VDUBMkV///C

Intergalactic smugness
Car(s)
CW MkV
Honestly, I would probably never buy a ford just because of its logo. I like clean emblems like VW or Audi or Mercedes. Does anyone else thing that American car models have terrible names? Like the Ford Fiesta...

UGMKV09

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 UG Rabbit
I couldn't agree more with this thread. My first car was a Dodge, never will I buy American again. A friend spent close to 50k on a turbo diesel ram in 2006, and if it wasn't for the extended warranty, he would have close to $24k on repairs. In the first 3 years/60000kms, the front suspension has been completely redone twice, the rear once, transmission has been rebuilt, alternator/batteries replaced and he just recently blew the turbo.

People might say good luck with your VW they're full of problems, I've had mine almost a year now with ZERO issues. It blows my mind how a high end truck can have so many problems. This shows that build quality is poor throughout their line up. I like how the foreign cars are well built even in the entry level models.

I've never had someone tell me to buy American here in Canada, but when I cross the border, especially in a rural area, I do get looked at differently. It would be something if people actually educated themselves before opening their mouths.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Car(s)
89, 97 Jetta, 07 GTI
The Honda factory is a major employer here in Ohio. We have plenty of hillbilly jackasses who think they're being patriotic, but really they're just showing their ignorance.

ohlumos

Qu'est-ce que 'sup?
damn dude, thread revival.

Haha, yeah. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and was gonna start a new topic, but I found this one.

I'd be fine with buying another American car if there was a decent, not boring American car to buy. Like that sweet Ford Focus RS. Even the Europeans have better American cars than the US.

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
Haha, yeah. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and was gonna start a new topic, but I found this one.

I'd be fine with buying another American car if there was a decent, not boring American car to buy. Like that sweet Ford Focus RS. Even the Europeans have better American cars than the US.

Let see...I can come up with 5 American car I love to have in my drive way right now

1) Cadillac CTS-V Wagon with 6sp (I will take it over anything the German have including RS5)

2) Camaro 2SS, Imperial Blue RS package 6sp

3) 2011 Mustang Shelby GT500 0 option

4) 2011 Mustang GT premium with HID and Brembo 6sp

5) 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon

Want realistic in-expensive car? I can list three of the top of my head that is the top three right now on my "cheap car to suggest"

1) Ford Fusion
2) Buick Regal
3) Ford Taurus

I think its just how people like exotic stuff from aboard. In Europe/Japan driving a huge "Yank Tank" is consider extremely fashionable and cool. Go check out how people all go crazy for Mustang/Camaro aboard, while here people rip on them all the time.

Please don't get me wrong, I smile from ear to ear every time I take my GTI out for a drive, but there are American cars out there that will do the same for me

huskeR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 R32
The number one thing that has pissed me off about American companies was that when Pontiac was killed, they let the G8 die with it. Are you f@#ing kidding me GM??! That was a great car! Re-badge it as an Impala and keep selling it. You finally build a great-looking, great-performing affordable car with considerably higher quality that you've shown in recent years and you let it die?!

If they want to keep customers buying domestic, they need to build more cars like that and hold on to them! Now there are some promising models emerging, the Fusion seems pretty solid, the '07 Malibu redesign was a good start, and I agree that the new Caddy wagon is pretty badass. But they've got to commit to these solid new products!

VDUBMkV///C

Intergalactic smugness
Car(s)
CW MkV
The number one thing that has pissed me off about American companies was that when Pontiac was killed, they let the G8 die with it. Are you f@#ing kidding me GM??! That was a great car! Re-badge it as an Impala and keep selling it. You finally build a great-looking, great-performing affordable car with considerably higher quality that you've shown in recent years and you let it die?!

If they want to keep customers buying domestic, they need to build more cars like that and hold on to them! Now there are some promising models emerging, the Fusion seems pretty solid, the '07 Malibu redesign was a good start, and I agree that the new Caddy wagon is pretty badass. But they've got to commit to these solid new products!

:drool:

Pirate King

King of Pirates
maybe we should build better competing domestics so people will want to drive them rather than feeling like we have to. or maybe tap more of our oil and support our economy by giving less of our money to terroristic countries that want to kill us anyway. as far as detroit goes, "WAAAAA" to you. we already bailed you out once, you cant expect me to drive a pos caliber ass well. eff the haters, enjoy VW!

We don't have that much oil. If we continued or current consumption we only have enough within the U.S. to last 3 years if I remember right. We really need foreign oil and Saudi Arabia has the extreme majority of it.

Lucidity

Marx
While you all make valid points that many foreign cars are made here, the difference is that they pay their employees less and much of the profits do not stay here. On top of that the foreign makers were subsidized by the local governments in order to build here and secure jobs for the state. Now hopefully this pays off in the long run, but this is something that many domestic plants did not get. IIRC Tennessee gave something like 600million in tax breaks and grants to build there, with no real stipulations on jobs that must pay X and people must be hired from in state.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
We don't have that much oil. If we continued or current consumption we only have enough within the U.S. to last 3 years if I remember right. We really need foreign oil and Saudi Arabia has the extreme majority of it.

sorry if this is a bit ot but really? what about texas and alaska. dont we have a well or two we could suck dry instead of sending crazy amounts of US dollars to saudi arabia and venezuela? 3 yeas doesnt seem like much at all.

kimchi29

Go Kart Champion
Let see...I can come up with 5 American car I love to have in my drive way right now

1) Cadillac CTS-V Wagon with 6sp (I will take it over anything the German have including RS5)

2) Camaro 2SS, Imperial Blue RS package 6sp

3) 2011 Mustang Shelby GT500 0 option

4) 2011 Mustang GT premium with HID and Brembo 6sp

5) 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon

nice list, although there are quite a few german cars i would take over the CTS-V Wagon, like the RS6 Avant.

also you forgot the ZR-1 and the saleen line of mustangs off the list :thumbsup: