GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forza 4

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion
I knew there had to be a bigger loser then me that plays it more. Lmao jk.

hahaha, i glitched. your still a loser.;):laugh::wub:

havent played forza for awhile until last night.... got a wheel and all for xmas, and i cant stop playing NHL 2012:thumbup:

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Well;

Just got an X-Box 360 w/Kinect for the kids for Christmas; and my wife surprised me with Forza 4 as well; wasn't expecting it... :D

So anyone willing to help out a n00b to the game?

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
So anyone willing to help out a n00b to the game?

You mean car setup or just getting going?

Win your first several races with a shitty car. You start leveling up faster if you turn off assists like steering, race lines, traction control, etc. The only assists I use are automatic shifting and ABS because my wheel lacks shifters (and I've always sucked at video game shifting anyway).

When you level up you earn faster cars very, very quickly. The MKVI GTi is actually a really nice C level car believe it or not with a few mods. It's cheap (should only take an hour or two to earn the money). Once you get it I'd stay away from power and upgrade the brakes and suspension first. The "Street" tire upgrade is the best bang for the buck as far as tires go, slicks put your car in a much faster tier very quickly. The rear sway bar is helpful because tightening it helps dial in a little lift oversteer to counteract FWD torque. When my back end breaks loose I just power on to correct the slide.

From there stick with the GTi throughout all of the C class races if you're a VW fan. The game also rewards you for keeping with the same brand. The more you win, the higher your loyalty bonus which makes upgrades cheaper and eventually just gives you a ton of bonus credits. After just a few races my VW mods are now half price and I get something like $75k extra per race just for driving a VW. When I want to upgrade the car to start attacking the B class races my engine upgrades will be cheap.

After just a couple of days I've got a ton of cash laying around but I still haven't even beaten all of the C class events. I've been gifted Corvettes, a 370z, an old Datsun, a GTR, and a bunch of muscle cars I wanted to buy anyway just as prizes for leveling up. Really the game just throws money and cars at you after just a couple of hours so race away! If you played the old Gran Turismo games and were annoyed at how many hours it took to finally buy your first decent car then you'll find this game progresses much quicker.

The Top Gear challenges are the hardest for me, I'm terrible at just trying to plow through the pins. Hint: you aren't timed so it's better to line up an attack angle and just powerslide through them.

The autocross events can be challenging at first but on normal difficulty it's much better to run smooth and not try to power your way through the course. By dialing in more oversteer with my rear sway bars I have enough of a challenge keeping a precise racing line as it.

Smooooth

Passed Driver's Ed
Do Work Son

Thanks for the great "starter" write up. Any other tips are much appreciated.

How much is the online access? Is it worth it?

Waiting for my seat to arrive, then I will be racing!

Gjergj

Ready to race!
the way i play

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Do Work Son

Thanks for the great "starter" write up. Any other tips are much appreciated.

How much is the online access? Is it worth it?

Waiting for my seat to arrive, then I will be racing!

Do you plan to play other games on Xbox Live? If not then definitely do not pay $60 a year just to play this game online - the DLC and online races are not worth $12 a month to me. I'm a subscriber so I can play Gears of War and Space Marine online with my RL friends who've moved away.

I have since loosened my rear sway bar back up a bit, the lift oversteer was just too much on some turns. This game doesn't treat FWD understeer as badly as the Gran Turismo series so I'm learning to take a smoother line and set up my brake points better rather than just sliding the rear end around and using torque steer to straighten out. That trick worked well in GT3 and 4 but here I find myself getting pointed in odd directions at unfortunate times.

Brakes, tires and suspension are worth more early on for cars IMO. They also typically don't push your car into another bracket as quick as power mods do.

*Edit: Aaaaand I'm no longer driving the GTi. I got to pick a Ferrari GTO or Countach in the "80's Pinup" category and took the GTO. Hole. Eee. Shit. I badly needed the front splitter and rear spoiler for downforce, uped the tires to 17's, added more weight back on, lowered the suspension, and loosened the front springs a bit. The car is still right at an A600 rating and it is so much fun. I spent an hour carving up the 'Ring and I'm having a blast! The car even sounds like a Ferrari - it just screams!

Last edited:

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW
Got my wireless wheel today :D Thanks to Do work, son for a lighter pocket!

edit* I'll be returning it because it has no mic input :(

**you can't use a clutch on this wheel either. piece of shit.

Last edited:

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
That's why I said there's no bumpers for manual shifting when I mentioned it earlier. I never use manual shifting in games anymore so it's not a big deal to me. As far as no mic input I never noticed that because I bought the new Bluetooth headset. I got tired of having to sit with a controller to talk with friends over XBL.

Sorry some of you don't like it but for a ~$50 steering wheel that requires no base and can be handed off when friends come over I think the wheel is just terrific. I'm not a hardcore racer but I find it waaaaay more fun than the D-pad without having to blow a few hundred bucks on something that will require moving a coffee table or building a stand. My friends invested several hundred on an ultimate GT5 setup for their Playstation and never play the game anymore.

I drive a manual every day in stop and go traffic but for whatever reason I prefer racing on automatic.

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW
Is there a trick to turning with it? I'm not able to turn the car enough for a sharp turn even when I turn the wheel all the way left/right