GOLFMKV

gas going up to $4.00/gallon!

Gulfer

Administrator
Staff member
Car(s)
Nothing
earthtoandy said:
No doubt. Its amazing things like this are not only allowed to exist in this world, but embraced!

Another note, there is almost 0 correlation between OPECs price setting and these out of whack increases in prices at the pumps. Ie, there has not been a 2/3 increase in crude oil prices or a cut in production from them to bring about the level of increase we are seeing at the pump. It is all 100% at the discretion of another body of companies that are bordering on collusion, the international oil producing companies. Actually there were a few studies done on this, wish I could remember them, but basicly the higher crude oil prices we are seeing now definitly helped out OPEC nations but there was a disproportionate increase in prices at the gas pumps.

Moral of the story, oil companies will deflect all they can onto others the reason why prices are so high (oh its that evil OPEC, oh its the winter heating season, oh its the summer driving season, oh the middle east is in turmoil, oh god...), and will use that as their excuse to jack up their prices.

Oil companies are evil :) But every companies nature is to be self serving to the extreme, we shouldn't expect any less from them, and its actually a GOOD thing that they are evil. The problem here, is that this country has its greatness rooted in the fact that no matter what one person does, someone else will check your ass and call you on stuff. And as of now, the system has been setup so that 1) most of the public are idiots and actually believe the lies given to them about how its not the "innocent" oil companies fault and 2) theres pretty much nothing we can do about it since oil and politics are just so intermixed at this time. Ah well, all I hope is that this shortsightedness doesnt bite us in the ass one day

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
I believe it will, unless perspectives are changed. Aren't you glad you share a planet with these people, and they're the ones running it. Not for a better future, but for a bigger profit.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Wild Hare said:
Those who complain should contact state & federal legislators. Or better yet, purchase some stock in oil companies (they are making huge profits off us).

Best thing to do:
Just keep your car in tune, use great quality synthetic oil ("some" will increase MPG by as much as 8% --- over time at these prices it can really make a difference in your wallet), use a quality fuel system cleaner, and check tire inflation too.

And those thinking that Hybrid is the way to go... several things to consider: (1) more up front cost (2) After the warranty is up and your hybrid battery goes, it can cost as much as $5,000 or more (depending on supply) to replace the battery, that's not including labor cost too.

Map Quest has a hybrid banner and it asks you to click in and compare how much you would have saved driving a Hybrid... not much.

Funny thing is people are so focused on the new car technology (Hybrid) that they forget the VW Diesel which has been out for awhile gets upwards of 50MPG and there are owners that have hit the 60 MPG level too!

just tell it how it is brotha! :respekt:

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
on the oil note, here in Taji we got 2 types of fuel to use, Diesel, and Mo-Gas. Mo-gas is hilarious to me, i think its like 86% octane. the iraqi's oil is the worst, omfg its like almost muddy in color eehhh.. it fucks with our generators so we don't use it. i have no idea what the price is here, when i do fuel runs or w/e, i just sign on this checklist and he writes it down and the corrisponding company, i.e. contractors or government pays for the set amount you use. fun stuff.. no.. no not really.. actually quite boring.. /sleep

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
You can thank OUR government for the taxes, that's where the real money is. Teknofreak, you're fine by me. We don't want to talk about our taxes and how much is absolutely wasted and fraudulently spent away for personal gains. My wife works for the state as a contractor and tells me about all the other contractors including herself who sit and do nothing 85% of the day. What the world would be if people were truly forthright (sp?) and honest. It just won't happen. Our government is crooked just like many companies who deal in big money are. It's easy for people to point out all the shortcomings and unfair profit until you've actually been in that position with the millions of dollars invested and risks taken to get that kind of profit. I can't even say what kind of person I'd be if I were responsible for millions or even billions of dollars. Money corrupts the very best of people.
In other words, I'm kind of happy to be a lower-middle income bald white caucasian husband and father of two.
"For the love of money is the root of all evil."

Last edited:

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
We are spoiled brats in the USA, When i was in the army in Germany in 1986 it was close to 3.50 a gallon. Depending on the Mark rate. 20 years later I am currently paying 2.85!!!!! My only problem is why are the OIL companys reporting record prophits???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Could be because we are all a bunch of IDIOTS.... If we all didnt buy any gas for 1 day. The supply would be flooded and it would drop over 1 dollar a gallon if not more. We have the power to screw them, just not the motivation or the brains. WE ARE ALL SPOILED!!!!!

zerogt86

FIA World Rally Car Champion
tydale3 said:
We are spoiled brats in the USA, When i was in the army in Germany in 1986 it was close to 3.50 a gallon. Depending on the Mark rate. 20 years later I am currently paying 2.85!!!!! My only problem is why are the OIL companys reporting record prophits???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Could be because we are all a bunch of IDIOTS.... If we all didnt buy any gas for 1 day. The supply would be flooded and it would drop over 1 dollar a gallon if not more. We have the power to screw them, just not the motivation or the brains. WE ARE ALL SPOILED!!!!!

exactly, the best way to drop the gas price would be to not buy from one brand for 1 day. For example, if everyone decided not to buy from Exxon/Moblie for one day, the prices would drop dramatically the next day. Then in order to stay competitive, all the other companies would have to lower their prices. Unfortunatly, i do not know how one would organize something like that...

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
tydale3 said:

i am glad someone brought that up...my dad was in germany in the early 70's and he said the equivalent was atleast 2.50 to 3.00/gallon back then, in 1970's dollars...not converted to today's rate! the only thing that saved him from paying that was the army coupons that all of the servicemen recived.

Last edited:

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006