GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I see a lot of people...

I see a lot of people discussing picking up weekend toys, or trading up for bigger powerhouses, like used vettes, C7s, etc. Has no one considered getting a used GT-R?

Currently looking into the used lots for 2013s and under and they can be had for around $50-60k with maybe 14k on the odom. Not at all horrible for a near $100k car with all that potential. The MPGs it totes aren't all too far off from the numbers you'd get with a WRX STI or a equivalent.

Assuming prices keep dropping, a 2013 next year could be sub $50k maybe, which isn't terrible at all.

Kinda confused as to why more of you haven't jumped into those. I'm certainly looking into it. Do you guys know something I don't?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I'm all about it, but I think I want to save some cash and import an R33.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Thats a high maintenance car... If VW/Audis guys complain about DSG maintenance just wait tell maintain that Dual Clutch...

Eh, it's a Nissan. It can't be incredibly difficult to maintain on your own, let alone get it serviced. Just because it once cost $80k+ doesn't mean the actual upkeep or even parts would. The '98 supra once had that price tag and parts for those are fairly cheap, and it doesn't cost $4k for a tranny flush.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Not to mention if you've owned an mk6 you already know what high maintenance is. I've accepted that there are a bunch of fluid changes and parts chasing on any good car.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
agreed with others...

no manual, maintenance and upkeep... major issues for most.

agreed with others...

no manual, maintenance and upkeep... major issues for most.

Manual is great if you live in a rural area and there's hardly any traffic. I drove an SRT-4 for years and will never have another manual if I can help it. I, for one, welcome our super cars with double clutch gearbox transmission superiors. You whine about upkeep, but a clutch replacement is $1500. Know how much I've spent on my DSG? Nothing so far. Fluids are like $200.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Manual is great if you live in a rural area and there's hardly any traffic. I drove an SRT-4 for years and will never have another manual if I can help it. I, for one, welcome our super cars with double clutch gearbox transmission superiors. You whine about upkeep, but a clutch replacement is $1500. Know how much I've spent on my DSG? Nothing so far. Fluids are like $200.

It was also $1,000+ to get a DSG over a manual when first buying it lol.

There's a big thread over on VWVortex about this exact same issue. Clearly the consumables are going to be expensive. God help you if you have to replace the brakes including rotors. That being said I think the consensus is that they are pretty reliable cars, though that could be misleading seeing as these were expensive cars that got only the best care. I will say that that is a hell of a lot of car for ~50K. I say go for it as long as you have some money put away for high consumable and repair costs.

Jaber

Modero
I once ran into a group of GTRs at VIR, for their track day. Got to talk to them for a bit and most were doing 10-12 track events a year. Few didn't give exact numbers, but estimated around $10k-$12k for maintenance. Not including track fees and the biggest expense, mods.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

As someone who has owned DSG cars, one of them being the K04 A3, I get that, but if I were to own a GT-R, it would be more for fun than DD, unless you welcome DD mileage on your "super car" which will kill value big time.

There's a big thread over on VWVortex about this exact same issue. Clearly the consumables are going to be expensive. God help you if you have to replace the brakes including rotors. That being said I think the consensus is that they are pretty reliable cars, though that could be misleading seeing as these were expensive cars that got only the best care. I will say that that is a hell of a lot of car for ~50K. I say go for it as long as you have some money put away for high consumable and repair costs.

I paid $27k TTT for my dsg/xenon/sunroof/nav package, which was one spec short of the autobahn package. That was in 2011 around July. Not sure what the comparable MTs were going for, but I think I got a deal. Plus if you replace your clutch once, you've already defeated your point... twice and now you're digging a hole. God help you if you upgrade. I wanted the least amount of maintenance possible with the most creature comforts, and that was simply the model with DSG.

As far as resell value on a GT-R being used as a DD. I see no problem with it being a DD at all. Value per mileage is irrelevant on a coveted car like that. If I pick one up for $50k, put 20k miles on it, and try and sell it for $45k, I doubt I wouldn't have takers. That's hardly any depreciation, considering I MAYBE put 10k-15k on my DD a year.

As far as regular maintenance parts go, rotors are about $280/ea and pads are $300. Not seeing an awfully big difference from the 180/ea rotors and 150-200 for pads on our GTI. It'd be like if you bought a BBK for the GTI.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I paid $27k TTT for my dsg/xenon/sunroof/nav package, which was one spec short of the autobahn package. That was in 2011 around July. Not sure what the comparable MTs were going for, but I think I got a deal. Plus if you replace your clutch once, you've already defeated your point... twice and now you're digging a hole. God help you if you upgrade. I wanted the least amount of maintenance possible with the most creature comforts, and that was simply the model with DSG.

As far as resell value on a GT-R being used as a DD. I see no problem with it being a DD at all. Value per mileage is irrelevant on a coveted car like that. If I pick one up for $50k, put 20k miles on it, and try and sell it for $45k, I doubt I wouldn't have takers. That's hardly any depreciation, considering I MAYBE put 10k-15k on my DD a year.

As far as regular maintenance parts go, rotors are about $280/ea and pads are $300. Not seeing an awfully big difference from the 180/ea rotors and 150-200 for pads on our GTI. It'd be like if you bought a BBK for the GTI.

OEM rotors are priced that "cheap" on the GT-R? anyone who tracks or does any work on their own car isn't buying $180 rotors for the GTI :lol: nor are they buying pads at that cost - you can get stoptech streets at all four corners for about $100. Powerslot rotors about the same cost.

your $27K isn't "great", no. I got a MT autobahn for only a little more.

DD duty - if you are only putting on 10k, then yes, you might be able to sell it for a only a small loss a year later, otherwise, if you were to keep putting on the miles, it will continue to drop - just like any car. The GT-R will have the issues of :

1. Early trans probs
2. Not all cars dyno the same/have the same power by the year
3. Long running production time
4. Continued increases in power AND price

so unfortunately, no time soon will it be a true collector / uptick in value car, because of these issues.

OEM rotors are priced that "cheap" on the GT-R? anyone who tracks or does any work on their own car isn't buying $180 rotors for the GTI :lol: nor are they buying pads at that cost - you can get stoptech streets at all four corners for about $100. Powerslot rotors about the same cost.

I paid roughly $350 for slotted stoptech (centric) rotors all the way around and stoptech street performance pads were under $100 for me.

Had I gone OEM with a more established seller for those rotors, and not shopped around, I believe the fronts were around $130/ea OEM, and the rears were $100/ea OEM + shipping.

I don't track my car. There aren't many here in south FL anyway that I'd go to. The car is basically a go fast go-kart for everyday circumstances. The GT-R would act much the same, only with less practicality.