GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Montoya to NASCAR

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
Vivid said:
You have to expect some ridicule when a driver goes from the pinnacle of the sport to a different series... Its kind of like a major league player choosing to go to the minors...

But I will stop any derogatory comments about NASCAR.

X2 on the good to see you back.

Totally agree. NASCAR drivers, while good, are not at the same level as F1 drivers. Jeff Gordon drove an F1 car and commented on how the car is in a completely different league in terms of performance.

To Freek:
As far as the redneck stuff goes, if the shoe fits... Have you seen the people that go to NASCAR races??? Yeehaw!
Sorry, I'm just teasing ya a little. It is derogatory, but it really does seem to fit.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
ive seen the types of people that attend NASCAR races...they are about the same type of people that attend NFL football games...beer drinkers...lol

but really...i think the whole NASCAR= redneck thing kinda went out acouple years ago when nascar became alittle more mainstream to america

earlier today i saw some stats about the people that attend nascar races and it was interesting...but i cant find it...so it dont matter

also...hell ya the performance of an F1 car is ALOT different from the cars of NASCAR...u are talking about an F1 car that weights what like a half a ton or so verse a stock car that weights a ton and half or so...plus all the technology behind an F1 is way beyond NASCAR

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
yea...they were just at Infineon about 2 or 3 weeks ago....and at the start of the season the did a road race in Mexico City

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
if anyone read the story about montoya...it bascially says that he is bored with F1...he will be taking a pay cut but couldn't seem to give a shit.

so if he wants to do something, let the dude do whatever the hell he wants and let's stop bashing nascar or whatever else everyone is bashing in this thread...

MachSchnell

Rally Car Champion
:thumbdown:
Vivid said:
You have to expect some ridicule when a driver goes from the pinnacle of the sport to a different series... Its kind of like a major league player choosing to go to the minors...

This has to be the most narrow minded thing I have read today.

First let me say that I am NOT a Nascar fan in any way.

But seriously, going to the minor leagues?? These guys drive at over 200MPH in a field of 20-30 other cars for a period of hours without a break. That takes a crapload of talent and concentration. They practice their trade as much as the open wheel guys do, and I would be willing to bet their skills are on par with any other form of racing. Regardless of the average # of teeth in their fans faces being much lower than the national average, Nascar is very big business...bigger than any other form of racing in North America and maybe the world.

Add to that the fact that there is HUGE sponsorship money at stake. The drivers are far from the good-ol-boy image they portray to their fans. They are very saavy businessmen, and negotiate with very high powered people in every facet of corporate America. There are no spitoons in their boardrooms.

Finally, this is the single largest and most popular form of racing in the country for a reason. For every person on your side of the argument against Nascar, there are 10 with an opposing viewpoint. Regardless of your opinion that really does mean something.

And, at the end of the day, Nascar is racing. The cars in the series are very serious machines and the supporting teams and organizations are high dollar operations with very talented and well practiced support teams (who are usually highly educated engineers).

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should be sipping on the hatoraide. :thumbdown:

MachSchnell

Rally Car Champion
Oh...Boris Said, one of the most talented drivers in the country right now is also moving to Nascar from various forms of sports car racing.

I guess he is stupid also, right? :rolleyes:

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
MachSchnell said:
:thumbdown:

This has to be the most narrow minded thing I have read today.

First let me say that I am NOT a Nascar fan in any way.

But seriously, going to the minor leagues?? These guys drive at over 200MPH in a field of 20-30 other cars for a period of hours without a break. That takes a crapload of talent and concentration. They practice their trade as much as the open wheel guys do, and I would be willing to bet their skills are on par with any other form of racing. Regardless of the average # of teeth in their fans faces being much lower than the national average, Nascar is very big business...bigger than any other form of racing in North America and maybe the world.

Add to that the fact that there is HUGE sponsorship money at stake. The drivers are far from the good-ol-boy image they portray to their fans. They are very saavy businessmen, and negotiate with very high powered people in every facet of corporate America. There are no spitoons in their boardrooms.

Finally, this is the single largest and most popular form of racing in the country for a reason. For every person on your side of the argument against Nascar, there are 10 with an opposing viewpoint. Regardless of your opinion that really does mean something.

And, at the end of the day, Nascar is racing. The cars in the series are very serious machines and the supporting teams and organizations are high dollar operations with very talented and well practiced support teams (who are usually highly educated engineers).

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should be sipping on the hatoraide. :thumbdown:

i too am not a nascar fan either...i mean i follow it just like i follow all sports, but def not a hardcore fan...but i agree with everything you just said. the guy that called it minor leagues is being extremly closed-minded when it comes to organized sports and the talent that it takes for anyone to succeed in their respective sport.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Thanx Mach and SMP

thats what ive been trying to say all along...auto racing is auto racing...it all takes talent and guts

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
smp85 said:
i too am not a nascar fan either...i mean i follow it just like i follow all sports, but def not a hardcore fan...but i agree with everything you just said. the guy that called it minor leagues is being extremly closed-minded when it comes to organized sports and the talent that it takes for anyone to succeed in their respective sport.

Yea that why your top driver Jeff Gordon has said many times that F1 is the pinnacle of motor sports and if he was offed a seat with a good team he'd take it... I don;t want to get into an argument but driving an oval is nothing compared to navigating Spa, Monaco, Silverstone, Nurburgring, it just not...

No offence to NASCAR but its no F1... but it is still racing and requires skill, automotive technology and dedication.

Last edited:

MachSchnell

Rally Car Champion
Vivid said:
Yea that why your top driver Jeff Gordon has said many times that F1 is the pinnacle of motor sports and if he was offed a seat with a good team he'd take it... I don;t want to get into an argument but driving an oval is nothing compared to naviagating Spa, Monaco, Silverstone, Nurburgring, it just not...

No offence to NASCAR but its no F1

The guy said he's NOT a Nascar fan...how did you turn that into Jeff Gordon being his top driver??

I had to stop for a moment before I replied to you. Until this point I've thought you to be reasonably inteligent. How can you keep parroting such an archaic point of view.

Yes, it's boring to watch Nascar when all they do is drive in a circle. I am on the same page as you there. BUT, it really does take as much talent to do what they do as it does in F1. The consistancy at which they lap the track and where they place their car on the track is very much comparable from one form of racing to the other. So is the effort made for each team to make it to the track and qualify for the event. And, lastly, the stakes are every bit as high in both F1 and Nascar, both when judged in dollars and risk to the driver's life.

I think it has become alltogether too easy to bash Nascar. Ithink it's very redneck to bash the sport because it takes no thought to do so.

Being a F1 fan makes you more enlightened than a Nascar fan? No, not in my opinion.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
MachSchnell said:
The guy said he's NOT a Nascar fan...how did you turn that into Jeff Gordon being his top driver??

I had to stop for a moment before I replied to you. Until this point I've thought you to be reasonably inteligent. How can you keep parroting such an archaic point of view.

Yes, it's boring to watch Nascar when all they do is drive in a circle. I am on the same page as you there. BUT, it really does take as much talent to do what they do as it does in F1. The consistancy at which they lap the track and where they place their car on the track is very much comparable from one form of racing to the other. So is the effort made for each team to make it to the track and qualify for the event. And, lastly, the stakes are every bit as high in both F1 and Nascar, both when judged in dollars and risk to the driver's life.

I think it has become alltogether too easy to bash Nascar. Ithink it's very redneck to bash the sport because it takes no thought to do so.

Being a F1 fan makes you more enlightened than a Nascar fan? No, not in my opinion.

When I said "your" I was referring to NASCAR's top driver Jeff Gordon... He is the one who has said publicly that F1 is the pinnacle of motor Sports and He would love to drive in a for a good F1 team...

You talk about money... F1's highest paid driver Micheal Schumacher flip flops with Tiger Woods for the Highest paid athlete somewhere around 80mil... Dale Jr and Jeff G make about 1/4 of that, they both pull in around 20mill...

How can you even attempt to say that navigating an oval requires the same amount of skill as track with 14 completely different corners... Its math 1 corner vs 14...

As I said in my last post "but it is still racing and requires skill, automotive technology and dedication." Which is true what they do is hard and require much skill, just not as much as F1.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
MKVboi said:
I sense another locked thread

I know, do I just attract arguments on this board? Things are peace full on my other car and mis boards

MKVboi

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
I think ppl just whine to much, and bitch about anything. Over sensative :wink:
This forum use to be all friendly and helping!! What happened?!