GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Police hope new digital speed cameras will halt Queensland Road Deaths!

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
POLICE hope the introduction of digital traffic cameras will help curb the soaring road toll.

Two new cameras, on the intersections of Jubilee Tce and Waterworks Rd, and Mt Lindesay Hwy and Compton Rd have recently been installed.

Seven digital cameras are operating across Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Ipswich with two soon to be installed on the Sunshine Coast as part of a six-month trial of the digital technology, with a possible statewide rollout next year.

Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson and Police Minister Neil Roberts both expressed hope that the new technology, which recorded both red light and speed infringements, would be an answer to the state's out-of-control road toll.

Mr Atkinson said the only year the road toll was under 300 was in 1998.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26333558-3102,00.html

FFS when will politicians and senior police wake up and realise that speed cameras do nothing to cut the toll but create stupid drivers that believe that if they're under the limit that they're safe.

They don't catch people driving dangerously
There is no police presence on the road
They don't catch drunks
They don't catch unlicensed drivers (who make up over 10% of fatal accidents)
And so forth.

The death represents the 299th life lost on Queensland roads this year - officially ending the Below 299 campaign.

At the same time last year, 282 people had died on the roads.

Yesterday eight silent vigils were held across the state in memory of all of those who have lost the lives.

At King George Square, 299 relatives and friends of road crash victims stood silently alongside Police Minister Neil Roberts and Commissioner Bob Atkinson.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26334723-3102,00.html

Personally I think the toll is as low as we can get it given the conditions of the roads, the idiots on the road, the unroadworthy cars, the congestion and lack of maintenance (tyre pressures etc). We will never have a zero road toll.

Stupid stunts like having 299 people standing around in a silent vigil is pointless and doesn't change anything.

JohnMatrix

Banned
You should not make a determination that speed cameras make little difference without any data to confirm this theory. Do some statistical research to help prove your opinion as it gives your arguement more credibility.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
You should not make a determination that speed cameras make little difference without any data to confirm this theory. Do some statistical research to help prove your opinion as it gives your arguement more credibility.

There's plenty of data out there. Go and visit the NMAA website if you want some stats to use. It's all been discussed before.

But here is my latest statistical research.

Evidence: JohnMatrix is still driving and has all his points.
Conclusion: Speed cameras clearly do not work (or they don't work if the car is driving above 250kph).

Genome

Hippest Teacher. Ever.
I don't think that you've really thought this through. Thats just my .02 cents.

Speed cameras do help prevent loss of life. It doesn't always have to be in your face, but just the fact that you are aware and concious that they are there can already make someone drive a little slower and a little more cautiously.

Last edited:

GTom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT
Depends where the cameras are placed, sometimes thay can be placed in black spots other spots they can just be placed there for the hell of it. It's the second one that's the problem sometimes.

Your right, he did not think it through. They do make a difference.

You should be the last one commenting on anything about 'safety'

Pharkus

Ninja
Your right, he did not think it through. They do make a difference.

The post is gone now I think as I can't find it but weren't you the guy that drove his Golf in some "deserted" back road in Brisbane at ridiculous speeds?

Seems like those speed cameras are doing wonders.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
The post is gone now I think as I can't find it but weren't you the guy that drove his Golf in some "deserted" back road in Brisbane at ridiculous speeds?

He wasn't going that fast, it was only 267kph in a 50kph zone one way and 269kph in a 50kph zone the other way with 125kg of weights on the back seat.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Speed cameras do help prevent loss of life. It doesn't always have to be in your face, but just the fact that you are aware and concious that they are there can already made someone drive a little slower and a little more cautiously.

Slower yes, more cautiously no.

http://www.roadsense.com.au/misleading_data.html#twopercent

The Evidence - Not Even 2%

Crucial Australian Parliamentary study claims 1.8%.

The evidence is in the 1994 "Queensland Government Parliamentary Travelsafe Committee study no 15", headed, “Speed cameras: should they be used in Queensland?”.

It is important to note that this document was created prior to the speed camera era which means it is not distorted by data from the subsequent use of speed cameras. The study was created by seven eminent Queensland politicians whose names would be familiar to most Australians, as well as a highly regarded research director.

The chairman of the study in his summary stated, "Members of Travelsafe Committee would expect me to give due credit and thanks to the Research Director of Travelsafe, Mr (name edited out by RS), for his valuable input into this and many previous reports to Parliament. He will be completing his secondment to the Committee after this report is presented to Parliament. He will be sorely missed for his absolute professionalism, his organisational ability, his dedication to the task at hand, his research methods, his incisive mind when applied to the information available and his pleasant personality".

This is a professional document and on page (ii) of the Chairman's summary he claims that only 1.8% (one point eight) of road crashes are caused "solely" by speed.

These are the actual words from the study."Fatal accidents, caused solely by speed, represent 1.8% of all accidents reported State-wide, but only 0.8% of all accidents in Brisbane."

The study still didn't state "above the speed limit", they stated, "solely" by speed so it could still be argued that their 1.8% also includes below the limit "speeding", police chases, criminal activity and more.

We have a copy of Travelsafe study no 15 on file.

Blue.:R32

Ready to race!

obviously they need more speed cameras at "bonneville" and not on some wide three lane highway.. :laughabove:

On one hand, it is noble to use speed cameras to reduce road deaths, however their actual placement seems to suggest otherwise. But then again, if I'm correct, there are no death this year on the kp side of the story bridge, and none on the tarragindi on ramp of the M1.. so one must conclude that they must work 100% :rolleyes:

JohnMatrix

Banned

One study means very little if anything. If you have been to university and done any research subjects you will know this simple fact. What type of study was it?. Was it a randomized control trial, was it quazi experimental, a double blind trial?.....is it level 1 evidence?......etc. All of these research factors have to be taken into cosideration before an accurate conclusion can be determined. You need to think about these factors or your arguement will lack any type of credibility.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
One study means very little if anything. If you have been to university and done any research subjects you will know this simple fact. What type of study was it?. Was is a randomized control trial, was it quazi experimental, a double blind trial?.....is it level 1 evidence?......etc. All of these research factors have to be taken into cosideration before an accurate conclusion can be determined.

That was one example, do your own research because I'm not doing it for you.

As for that particular one it's not hard to figure out.