GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible issue with 6MT

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
First off, I've been driving manual transmission for a very long while, including some performance vehicles. In other words, the problem isn't me.

Anyway, every once in a while it will not go into 6th gear from 5th. It's like it hits the gate between the gears, yet the shifter is pushed all the way to the right side. I must put it in neutral then it'll slide into 6th just fine.

On another note, I developed a rattle behind the dash today.... :mad:

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Havn't had any issues at all yet going into gears, not sure if I have the rattle unless I'm just ignoring it?...

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Well, if it makes you feel any better. the E90 330i 6MT I had had the same problem, only it was the first gear. It got so bad over a period of 5 months that in the end I couldn't get it into 1st 50% of the time when trying to take off after sitting at a red light. It would only go in half way and no matter how many times I try it will not completely engage unless I put it back into neutral, clutch-out and in again THEN it MIGHT go into gear. Imagine how many times I embarrassed myself by keeping everyone stopped behind me because it wouldn't go into 1st. BMW techs looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong, came back and told me that it's a notorious "BMW behavior" that just happens.

No it wasn't me not knowing how to drive, it never happened with my GTI. :headbang:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
If I'm driving it a little hard then sometimes it will have a tricky time going into 6th gear. This has happened to me about 3 times in 3000 miles. A few others have said that it has happened to them as well. It's just been few and far between.

MMD

Oval Champion
DubtecV2 said:
First off, I've been driving manual transmission for a very long while, including some performance vehicles. In other words, the problem isn't me.

Anyway, every once in a while it will not go into 6th gear from 5th. It's like it hits the gate between the gears, yet the shifter is pushed all the way to the right side. I must put it in neutral then it'll slide into 6th just fine.

On another note, I developed a rattle behind the dash today.... :mad:
stop your car and test stick from 1 - 6 do it 5-6 times and then drive again

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Update*

Had car in the shop last week for an airbag light, but had the tech examine the tranny problem. He didn't drive the vehicle because it's a rare occurence, but he did check the fluid and shifter linkage. Everything checked out fine....

BUT, same thing happened a couple days ago going from 3rd to 4th! Car's going back in the shop Tuesday for anther airbag light, I may have the tech check out the transmission again.

Last edited:

Diggums

Go Kart Champion
Thats odd. So far I havnt run into any problems with mine. I think I have only been in 6th gear twice now though. Been all city street driving...I will need to get it on the highway one of these days.

Jaegermeister

Go Kart Newbie
Had this with the 5th to 6th and the 3rd to 4th. If you have a good mechanic then he'll know what to do. I don't know exactly what he did but he slightly loosened something in the shift linkage up by the tranny, you know that lever looking piece. He said that vw sometimes overtightens the linkage. After the adjustment the shifter seemed a little less tight so to speak.

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Happened again going into 6th. The level slide in about halfway then just stops and won't go any further, even with a decent amount of pressure.

Tomowwor morning she goes in...