GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... California Nears $8 Gallon Gas - Biden Sends Zelenskyyy $61 Billion

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
For a single payer, living in a state with no state income tax, someone would have to pull in about $250k a year to pay a little over $60k in just income tax. That's about 25% effective tax rate.
For married, filing jointly, living in that same state, you'd have to make about 310k a year to pay around the same in just federal income tax. That's about a 20% effective tax rate.

Very fair, I'd say. That's more than enough money to be living very comfortably.
This was basically my point about zrickety's tax statement. The $ amount can look high, but most people pay a pretty reasonable rate. My worst year ever (no kids yet, wife still working, tons of matured stock grants) was a ridiculous tax bill, but it was only around 22% federal, 32% if I included everything (state income, property tax, sales tax). To pay 40% in total taxes, you really have to make close to $1M a year and/or have extremely high state taxes. Federal taxes top out in the high thirties, but that's marginal rate, the effective rate is much lower.
Let's just say 250k is right, why is 60k in taxes fair?
I would say it's reasonable, but not necessarily fair.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
See, I disagree here. 60.6 percent of Americans didn't pay taxes last year.

In total, about 107 million Americans (or 60.6 percent of households) paid no federal income taxes.Aug 20, 2021

So we shift the burden of paying for ALL government programs to 39.4% of the American public and give everyone else a break?

What happened to taxation without representation?

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
We can't even see the can anymore we've kicked it so far down the road.

Certainly nothing bad ever happens from continually pushing a problem into the future.

The hyper rich need to pay consumption taxes on the resources they use. Unfortunately they have actual representation from the government so regular people need to be squeezed instead.

Bingo. Guess who those resources actually belong to?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

In total, about 107 million Americans (or 60.6 percent of households) paid no federal income taxes.Aug 20, 2021

So we shift the burden of paying for ALL government programs to 39.4% of the American public and give everyone else a break?

Just pretty words to get the colonists riled up and revolt for the benefit of the select few.

npace

Autocross Champion

I'm sorry, but they have representation. Unfortunately, people are stupid enough to vote for someone like AOC to be their representative, so they pay for what they vote for, in this case.

npace

Autocross Champion
If you say so but that math isn't quite right. Also, those who apply themselves need to pay more why? Because it's fair? Is it? How do we define fair?
Some people think fair is the same thing as equality of outcome. Historically they had names like Marx, Lenin, Mao, and Stalin. Of course that didn't apply to those individuals, because they were part of the elite leadership.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
For a single payer, living in a state with no state income tax, someone would have to pull in about $250k a year to pay a little over $60k in just income tax. That's about 25% effective tax rate.
For married, filing jointly, living in that same state, you'd have to make about 310k a year to pay around the same in just federal income tax. That's about a 20% effective tax rate.

Very fair, I'd say. That's more than enough money to be living very comfortably.
We fought the British over 3%. I would say 20% is a travesty.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Some people think fair is the same thing as equality of outcome. Historically they had names like Marx, Lenin, Mao, and Stalin. Of course that didn't apply to those individuals, because they were part of the elite leadership.

When Stalin died, officials had to buy a pair of new boots to bury him in. His possessions at the moment of death were a couple of tobacco pipes, two military jackets and a pair of old boots. After his death corruption grew because he wasn't there to weed it out.
Marx was a thinker, not part of any leadership, elite or not.

Last edited:

npace

Autocross Champion
When Stalin died, officials had to buy a pair of new boots to bury him in. His possessions at the moment of death were a couple of tobacco pipes, two military jackets and a pair of old boots. After his death corruption grew because he wasn't there to werd it out.
Marx was a thinker, not part of any leadership, elite or not.
Stalin murdered more people than anyone else is credited for in history. He didn't need "possessions" because everything was "loaned" to him by the state for his glorious leadership.

Marx, yeah sure, but the point is that communists are concerned with equality of outcome over everything else. To them, that is a greater fairness than equality of opportunity.

Edit: Mao may have killed more than Stalin.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Stalin murdered more people than anyone else is credited for in history. He didn't need "possessions" because everything was "loaned" to him by the state for his glorious leadership.

Marx, yeah sure, but the point is that communists are concerned with equality of outcome over everything else. To them, that is a greater fairness than equality of opportunity.

Edit: Mao may have killed more than Stalin.

The Soviets lost 27 million in WW2. About 30 million served. Just about every family in Russia had someone that died or fought. If Stalin had killed more than Hitler, then every family in Russia would have someone that had died by Stalin's hand. Yet that is not the case in reality. Makes you wonder what ass those numbers were pulled from by the western propagandists.

Can't speak of Mao -- i know nothing about Chinese history to make claims with lots of zeroes. But i bet those numbers were pulled from the same ass.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm sorry, but they have representation. Unfortunately, people are stupid enough to vote for someone like AOC to be their representative, so they pay for what they vote for, in this case.
I understand what your saying, my point was they are not paying taxes yet are consumers of the federal government that 39% of Americans pay for yet they get a voice to say how that government runs.