GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
F1 sucks now.

It's not competitive up front and the middle is a drs train for 55 laps.
This is how it usually is. The beginning of the DTS era was a major anomaly.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Anyone expecting someone other than Max win is fooling themselves right now, maybe as we get into the second half of the season we can get a surprise winner, e.g. Brazil last year.

Max/DRS trains aside, I found the race to be entertaining. Plus Max wasn't 30 seconds up the road, I'll take that progress from AM and Merc. I was really surprised by how long Russell was still in the race after the carbon yard sale on lap 13.

Not expecting much different in two weeks at the RB Ring (VER and ALO/HAM podium)... but damn, it's such a good track.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Anyone expecting someone other than Max win is fooling themselves right now, maybe as we get into the second half of the season we can get a surprise winner, e.g. Brazil last year.

Max/DRS trains aside, I found the race to be entertaining. Plus Max wasn't 30 seconds up the road, I'll take that progress from AM and Merc. I was really surprised by how long Russell was still in the race after the carbon yard sale on lap 13.

Not expecting much different in two weeks at the RB Ring (VER and ALO/HAM podium)... but damn, it's such a good track.
My thing is, Montreal is obviously a straight line/power track and with VER only being that far ahead of HAM/ALO they might be closer than we think on a more technical or ""normal"" track.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I'm just being cautiously realistic with my expectations. There are constant car updates amongst the teams which can always swing the pecking order and we have no idea how much more pace the RB has when Max has to actually fight for P1. I can see maybe Hungary having a non-RB winner, but probably waiting until after the summer break to see it happen. This is assuming no random stuff like reliability problems or race ending damage for Max.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
I'm just being cautiously realistic with my expectations. There are constant car updates amongst the teams which can always swing the pecking order and we have no idea how much more pace the RB has when Max has to actually fight for P1.

Exactly, look at all the teams deploying updates and changes and if someone can't see the middle of the pack changing then they are just blinded by their bias.

My thing is, Montreal is obviously a straight line/power track and with VER only being that far ahead of HAM/ALO they might be closer than we think on a more technical or ""normal"" track.

Right? I mean Hamilton has been sucking up the lower ranks of the top ten and lower this season, now he was in solid 2nd until Fernando blitzed him and held him off?

Of course the rain and chaos during practices and qualifying shook up the field but I am having a lot more fun watching this year than the last two years of the Max and Hamilton show.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Side note.....where's Perez, all of a sudden, in these conversations?

It was watch out for the Red Bulls at the beginning of the season, but he's gone (pretty) silent & it's just Max

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Side note.....where's Perez, all of a sudden, in these conversations?

It was watch out for the Red Bulls at the beginning of the season, but he's gone (pretty) silent & it's just Max
stoP-THAt-RiGHT-nOW.png

VER muffled all that "I have a chance at the WDC" booty-chatter from the Perez camp.

In all seriousness, I think the direction the set-up and development needs to go for the RB19 to be its fastest doesn't favor Perez/his style/what ever you want to call it. That.... and he's simply not as fast as a top tier driver.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
VER muffled all that "I have a chance at the WDC" booty-chatter from the Perez camp.

In all seriousness, I think the direction the set-up and development needs to go for the RB19 to be its fastest doesn't favor Perez/his style/what ever you want to call it. That.... and he's simply not as fast as a top tier driver.

... have Mercedes announced Lewis' contract renewal yet? :unsure: :unsure:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
They've already renewed George.

Maybe RB will bench Checo and put in Danny Ric. Then do some finagling and sign Chuck Lecuck?

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Oh I know they've already re-signed him, but they should be worrying about his longevity with the team.
He was spending Merc's money before he was even a driver for their team and they still signed him. Regardless of his missteps, Merc still has the strongest driver pairing amongst the teams. At least until Perez's replacement is chosen. I'd love to see Ric get that seat, but if F1 has taught me anything, it's be prepared for disappointment.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
I'm really hoping the happiest man in F1 (Ricardo) is in talks with Audi. I would love to see him return to the driver's seat.

Perez was doing pretty well in the beginning (I mean, he's 2nd in points) it's just the last couple where he's really been spectacularly out for some reason. Does he have a new girlfriend or something? Just seems like he's not all in the cockpit sometimes.