GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
140k miles, I didn't take pictures because they looked like everyone else, very similar to yours when you did them at 50k actually. I didn't get them as clean as you did either, I got the big gobs off and the shit off the stems and guides, but there's no way I could have cleaned it down to the cast surface.

Got 4 new injectors in and a new cam follower. I'm just glad I didn't fuck something up and that the car runs & isn't leaking fuel.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
140k miles, I didn't take pictures because they looked like everyone else, very similar to yours when you did them at 50k actually. I didn't get them as clean as you did either, I got the big gobs off and the shit off the stems and guides, but there's no way I could have cleaned it down to the cast surface.

Got 4 new injectors in and a new cam follower. I'm just glad I didn't fuck something up and that the car runs & isn't leaking fuel.

Mine felt so smooth after doing the whole cleaning and that was at 100k. Completely got rid of all shakes and shudders at idle. It's a shitty process to do though.

Got some Llumar CTX 35% over the weekend:

Last edited:

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Mine felt so smooth after doing the whole cleaning and that was at 100k. Completely got rid of all shakes and shudders at idle. It's a shitty process to do though.

On my first test drive after putting it back together I got a CEL and had no boost, thank god it was just a sensor I forgot to plug back in. The job wasn't all that difficult it was just the cleaning part that was a pita. It was ~90° out so that didn't help.

Got some Llumar CTX 25% over the weekend:

Looks good, I'm still debating on tinting my windows or not. Also, that wheel gap son :yikes:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Had some "wandering" on the front end when hitting expansion joints and bumps. Got it on my buddies lift yesterday. Turns out the passenger side upper ball joint nut was completely loose. Thank God it didn't strip the threads.

The culprit? Not a locking nut. I guess I got lucky.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Last year I was replacing my lower ball joints and when one of my studs broke off when I tried to loosen the nut. Turns out at one point someone broke the stud trying to get the nut off and just JB welded it back on.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Haha I drove on a balljoint like that for months. But the top one being loose is a different story. If it had become detached completely? Lmao. I don't even want to know what would've happened.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yes. I actually took it to work today. I put 100+ miles on it this weekend. Used 1/2 a tank lmao. Been getting 20-22mpg.

Going to order the front down pipe section this week. Hopefully that clears up the lean code.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
It broke Oct 2015 and I drove it about 300 miles in 2016. Eric and I fixed most of it that 65 degree weekend in February of this year. So it was down a year and a half while gathering parts. And still not done of course haha.