GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey guys,

Quick question. My neighbor sees me working on my car often, so he asked me to read some codes on his CC. Currently, he has the engine light and EPC light on.

Codes are:
P2293 / P0087 / P2177

He vaguely mentioned a miss or misfire thing happening while driving.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Hey guys,

Quick question. My neighbor sees me working on my car often, so he asked me to read some codes on his CC. Currently, he has the engine light and EPC light on.

Codes are:
P2293 / P0087 / P2177

Use the search bar on Ross-Tech's website to look up the codes, it'll tell you the issues.

A quick look at those codes they all have to do with the fuel system. Do CC's have FSI's? Maybe his cam follower killed itself.

live4something

Ready to race!
CCs do have the FSI for corresponding years. Cam follower is a good possibility.

Its one of those things that's not a big deal for enthusiasts that are aware of the design flaw.

For most owners it's the kind of BS that makes you not want to buy a VW ever again. Hence why combined with the scandal I see VW sales numbers continuing to drop.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Use the search bar on Ross-Tech's website to look up the codes, it'll tell you the issues.

A quick look at those codes they all have to do with the fuel system. Do CC's have FSI's? Maybe his cam follower killed itself.

Thanks. Yeah, he never opened the hood so I have no idea. I thought it looked fuel related as well. I'm not sure of the exact year, but it looks fairly new. Going back to 2008, it looks like the CC has the TSI.

Edit: That last statement may be incorrect. That was based on a quick Google Images search haha.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
CCs do have the FSI for corresponding years. Cam follower is a good possibility.

Its one of those things that's not a big deal for enthusiasts that are aware of the design flaw.

For most owners it's the kind of BS that makes you not want to buy a VW ever again. Hence why combined with the scandal I see VW sales numbers continuing to drop.

Yeah, it's a concern considering he wasn't thrilled to pay for the shop tech to diagnose it. I'm sure he won't be super pumped if his cam is thrashed.

live4something

Ready to race!
Yeah, it's a concern considering he wasn't thrilled to pay for the shop tech to diagnose it. I'm sure he won't be super pumped if his cam is thrashed.
Yea a guy I worked with in Italy had a Passat and his CF failed. Oh BTW the dealer in Italy wouldn't honor the extended warranty issued offered by VWoA for the problem either. After a few months of communication VWoA ended up paying the Italian dealer for the work.

Had I not been around do give him the info he would have been screwed. Either way he was out of a car for a few months.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Yea a guy I worked with in Italy had a Passat and his CF failed. Oh BTW the dealer in Italy wouldn't honor the extended warranty issued offered by VWoA for the problem either. After a few months of communication VWoA ended up paying the Italian dealer for the work.

Had I not been around do give him the info he would have been screwed. Either way he was out of a car for a few months.

Can you imagine how shitty it would be to own a modern car without having the internet & car forums. I never would have known about the cam follower bs

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

That's crazy. I have a feeling that mine failed way back in the day before I knew about it and before the warranty extension. I had hard fuel cuts one day and took it in under CPO warranty. They replaced my HPFP and CF, but didn't tell me if anything failed catastrophically. After I found out about the issue, I've been changing it myself since and it's pretty clear I have some scarring on the cam itself indicating a possible failure in the past.

I basically just wrote the codes down for him. We'll see what he does with them. I hope it's just some sensor or something simple, but we'll see.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Did they ever put the V6 in the CC?

200hp seems too little for a giant car like that.

side note, does VW make V6's or are they all VR's?

Yeah, the 3.6 4-Mo. My dad had an 09 CC 3.6 4-Mo (6 speed automatic, not DSG). The DSG was offered in the facelifted 2013's with that IIRC. You could get a FWD 3.6 Passat, but I think the CC was only AWD with the 3.6.

A FWD CC is in reality only a couple hundred pounds heavier than the GTI. Plenty of scoot and midrange torque. It's no race car, but it has enough power stock to overcome the weight. Remember, the FSI/TSI were more like 220hp and 230tq stock. VW just loves to under rate.

And yeah, the old 2.7L and 2.8L 30V engines (Audi speak) are V6's. VW did put the same engines in the B5 and B5.5 Passat since that car is basically an Audi B5 A4.

But otherwise, the Corrado, old B3/B4 passat, Mk3 Jetta GLX and GTI, Mk4 Jetta's and GTI's and the 2003 GLI were all VR6's. And the R32 of course. The 2004.5 GLI's had the 1.8T nevalose engine.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

Codes are:
P2293 / P0087 / P2177

p2293 and 0087 were my codes of death on the GTI.

Fuel pump. Check it.