GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmkv OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. Atmosphere? Family friendly? Is it better to stay in Helen or somewhere right outside? What are the "can't miss" events throughout the event? Do I have to have blue painters tape on my car to show up?

Atmosphere during the show is okay. Pretty family friendly. They even have a lil event to cater to the kids a little (at least they have most years). But, thats only for about 6-8 hours on Saturday. Otherwise its WILD and completely out of control after the sun goes down. Last year I didn't go (but i'd been the previous 6), so maybe it was reigned in a little, but the year before was almost scary how out of control it got. There were only 4 cops to 10K + people. If you're going down for the party stay in Helen within walking distance of the Helendorf (super8 or like) if you want a relaxed atmosphere stay a little out of helen. There are some fun family things to do around helen. Theres bears to go look at, theres gems to be minned, theres tubes that you can raft down the river on (it takes about 2 hours and you ride right through the show area). Lots of good food to eat, cool lil shops to explore etc. Its all in what you want to make of it.

There aren't really important events IMO at sowo, the whole weekend is the event. Theres the lowdown-showdown or whatever they decide to call it, theres a couple meets like a MKV meet a MK6 meet. They're pretty fun. The shows itself is okay. Its a beautiful setting. As far as what you drive, if you stay in Helen over the weekend it doesn't matter. You could just walk everywhere. The whole town is only 3-4 miles long.

I've only stayed at the helendorf, I hardly ever move my car. I guess I'm part of the problem, because I've gotten so drunk I missed the show entirely.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Atmosphere during the show is okay...I guess I'm part of the problem, because I've gotten so drunk I missed the show entirely.

Thanks, man. Definitely sounds interesting. We're probably more the day time crowd then. Probably hang out in the morning and early afternoon then go tubing or something like that. It would definitely be more of a get away and relax kind of weekend.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, man. Definitely sounds interesting. We're probably more the day time crowd then. Probably hang out in the morning and early afternoon then go tubing or something like that. It would definitely be more of a get away and relax kind of weekend.

Yeah its cool for that. Theres plenty to do. Definitely meet a lot of interesting people, but it can get wild when the alcohol starts flowing. You should at least check out the craziness at the helendorf. The helendorf parking lot IMO is better than the show.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
wooooooot SOWO!

also, got a pic of my car on the track. :w00t:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah its cool for that. Theres plenty to do. Definitely meet a lot of interesting people, but it can get wild when the alcohol starts flowing. You should at least check out the craziness at the helendorf. The helendorf parking lot IMO is better than the show.

wooooooot SOWO!

Yeah, I think it's about time I meet some of you all in person. I'm in.

Feel like I dropped the ball this week. I had my car in getting the roof resprayed because of some failing clear. Totally should have had them color match my extra set of side markers and rear VW emblem. Wasted opportunity.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
It's not really about gaining power in my car. UEL will cost me 2-3HP but the TQ gains are exactly the same as ELH and that's really what I'm needed from a tune+header for AutoX.

I need to go faster on corner exit, while the chassis is bound, at lower RPMs. A few more HP doesn't do much at AutoX.

So yeah it might be worth it for the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.