GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to get ?

Fully Alarmed

RS Golf,the 1 and only...
Car(s)
Golf MKV
Thinking of getting a new dslr and dont know what to buy ?

Somewhere around £120-150 ($240-300) price range

I have been looking at one of these, are they any good ?

Panasonic Leica DMC-FZ7K 6MP Digital Camera

For sale at £125 ($250).

Thanks in advance.

omegach

Banned
i don't think panasonic makes dslrs

and i dunno if there are even any for sale < $300; maybe a used d40 body...

Fully Alarmed

Car(s)
Golf MKV
OK..... I Stand corrected !

Thats why i'm askin, cos i aint no expert!

I'm just after a decent camera instead of using my Nokia.

Turbo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
yeah i'm almost positive that isn't a dslr :p

It's not a rangefinder as there's no window on the front and it has a viewfinder in the back, so I'm thinking it is an SLR. It's digital, so that would make it a DSLR.

It's just not what you and I would think of when we talk about a DSLR. It doesn't look to have interchangeable lenses.

If Panasonic is really putting true Leica glass on it and not just licensing the name, then that could be a nice lens. The next question would be the sensor quality.

You might see if you could find a review of it on dpreview.com. That might be a decent camera for the price range. But yeah, it's not what most people are talking about when they say "DSLR."

Fully Alarmed

Car(s)
Golf MKV
No prob, thanks for that.

All the reviews i've read do rave about it being brilliant for the money. I'm not rushing into anything just yet so i'll keep looking.

Cheers.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
you could look into a used nikon D50. they werent a huge hit since the D40 took over its fame, but i had one and absolutely loved it. its well worth the money and you can find some great deals on ebay.

Fully Alarmed

Car(s)
Golf MKV
I'll have a quick scoot round ebay then, cheers.

omegach

Banned
It's not a rangefinder as there's no window on the front and it has a viewfinder in the back, so I'm thinking it is an SLR. It's digital, so that would make it a DSLR.
a lot (if not all prosumer) point-and-shoots have viewfinders on the back. i don't think the fact that it has a viewfinder should make one assume it's an slr. and i don't know of any digital cameras that have a separate window for rangefinders...

i was wrong in my initial post when i said "i don't think panasonic makes dslrs"; their solitary dslr model (the L10K) retails at $1300 and debuted at the end of last year

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...eras/model.DMC-L10K_11002_7000000000000005702

but the dmc-fz7k is definitely NOT a dslr; just a prosumer point-and-shoot

Fully Alarmed

Car(s)
Golf MKV
Whats 'prosumer' mean ?

I'm not too bothered about a detachable lens etc ive got a Canon EOS SLR that runs 35mm roll film but like everything else its out of date.

The Canon was way too advanced for what i needed/used it for so i thought i would get a camera of similar quality but without all the techy bits i wouldnt use.

omegach

Banned
prosumer = professional consumer, or something like that

basically really high-end consumer stuff, but not quite professional-level. sorry to hijack your thread w/ those posts! :p

my advice to you would be to (if you can) bump your budget up by a couple hundred dollars to maybe $500; $250 is a pretty limited budget to be looking into the dslr market. i'm not sure about canon gear, but $500 can buy you a used nikon d70s kit, which is a very decent camera (the one i shoot w/ now). most dslrs have auto functions, so you can start out easy... but if you want too learn more, the option will always be there to get into some more advanced stuff later on.

then again if you have absolutely no desire to get into the nitty-gritty photography, i'd stick w/ a pocketable point-and-shoot. maybe a canon powershot A720. retails at < $200. and i've always been rather fond of canon point-and-shoots; they're good stuff. i've been looking at the powershot g9, now THAT is one sexy p&s. :]

Fully Alarmed

Car(s)
Golf MKV
Thanks again and no worries about the thread, that is what its there for.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
it's not an SLR but it will provide nearly all the options and SLR will provide, minus removable lens and actual SLR ;)