GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which coils?

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
So I'm doing research to figure out what coils I want. I was dead set on konis for a long time, but now I'm wondering if they will go low enough. Ride comfort is the most important factor to me. Are there any coils that compare to Konis as far as their comfort goes? I've looked at fk silverline x with koni shocks but can't find any info as to their ride quality and the same with h&r premiums. So my question is. What coils offer a real comfortable ride with going pretty low as well?

Sent from my DROID2

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Low enough for what? So you can smash your oil pan into something? The Koni's work great, install and enjoy.

BTW your requirements are contradictory, any suspension that offers a lot of lowering has to be stiffer than stock, otherwise car would ride on bump stops.

nate122

Go Kart Champion
Low enough for what? So you can smash your oil pan into something? The Koni's work great, install and enjoy.

BTW your requirements are contradictory, any suspension that offers a lot of lowering has to be stiffer than stock, otherwise car would ride on bump stops.

I agree. how low is the question. I've heard people going plenty low on Koni's. Is it stupid low like the Fk's or h&r ultra lows? no.

I honestly feel like all coilovers feel relatively the same except the dampening adjustable ones.
Once you lower your car to some extent, expect a super stiff ride... this prevents your wheels from smashing into your fender.

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
You might be able to pull it off with Koni's at 0 threads and no perches in the rear. I know there was one dude on here who was running Alphards with Koni's on 0 threads.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Forget about ride comfort with the coils all the way down. The shocks won't have enough room to work correctly. Most any wheel will look good with a mild drop.

Heheh, when will these threads ever stop. Dudes see others with car riding on ground, Oh, I gotta have that. Emotion wins over logic first time around, but eventually logic makes its way back. I don't know how many cars I've seen pull in at shows with burn marks on fenders and destroyed tires and dented/leaking/broken subframes/oil pans.

Giggies

Car(s)
07 Campanella Jetta
Being low is something you either understand or you don't. I won't waste time trying to explain why we do it...

To the OP, Check out B&G RS2 coils. I'm told they are the most comfortable of the ultra-low coils

but almost any premium coilover with dampening adjustability will be able to provide a more comfortable ride. Granted Koni is top of the class for ride quality so you won't be able to beat them in those regards.

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Forget about ride comfort with the coils all the way down. The shocks won't have enough room to work correctly. Most any wheel will look good with a mild drop.

Incorrect. I have the HPA SHS coilovers, which are KW V1's revalved to HPA's specs and with them all the way down, they ride & handle much better than stock. Even after 22k miles.

OP....if you're looking for a decent mix between low and comfort for DD, the HPA's definitely deserve a look. They don't go as low as like FK's, of the B&G's, but they offer a great quality ride, even at their lowest point.

Pics for reference.....

Clean TR Front Edited (800x539).jpg

VagABahn 2009 Rear Quarter (1001x676).JPG

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Incorrect. I have the HPA SHS coilovers, which are KW V1's revalved to HPA's specs and with them all the way down, they ride & handle much better than stock. Even after 22k miles.

OP....if you're looking for a decent mix between low and comfort for DD, the HPA's definitely deserve a look. They don't go as low as like FK's, of the B&G's, but they offer a great quality ride, even at their lowest point.

Pics for reference.....

I am extremely familiar with HPA's offerings as I used to resell KW coilovers sourced through them. KW makes excellent products, and they are designed to work within a certain range of lowering. If you stay in the design range they will work fine. Having installed many sets, I can say that they ride even better with lowering kept mild. Your car will handle better too, it that isn't a concern, that's fine.

Your R32 looks great BTW.

I've done low and damaged the car, moved on. The rubbing, scraping, damaged parts, clunking, compromised handling, can't put weight or friends in car - unless you're in an area with glassy smooth roads its really pretty retarded - so, yes, I don't understand. For a show queen fine, but not a DD. If I was going to attempt to go low again, I'd go with a setup like B&G as it retains shock travel through the adjustable body.

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Thanks for the compliments. It may very well be going away soon, though.

You make a good point, though. And if I came across offensively, I do apologize. I've only had my car at the max drop with the SHS coils, so I don't really know how they ride set a little higher up. I can only give input on ride quality and going low since that's usually what everyone is so concerned about here. But for a good mix of the two, or at least an acceptable one by me (and my wife at first, although she hates my car now because she has to actually pay attention when she drives), the HPA's fit the bill quite nicely.

From the horror stories I've read on here about NJ roads, though, I don't think there's a coilover out there that's going to handle those roads well. Would almost be better to take the car off-roading, so maybe a lift is actually in order.

Check the "lolbags" thread for an up & coming hydraulics install. :thumbsup:

Tadddd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI 2-Door
So I'm doing research to figure out what coils I want. I was dead set on konis for a long time, but now I'm wondering if they will go low enough. Ride comfort is the most important factor to me. Are there any coils that compare to Konis as far as their comfort goes? I've looked at fk silverline x with koni shocks but can't find any info as to their ride quality and the same with h&r premiums. So my question is. What coils offer a real comfortable ride with going pretty low as well?

Sent from my DROID2

You mention the H&R Premiums. Have you found anything out about them yet?

And to bostonaudi and jakrbt. It sounds like it would be logical to go HPA's over K1's then?

At this point I feel I am very interested in those HPA's and the H&R premiums.

kevvve

TÜ MÄDR3
look at ksports or B&Gs if you have that kind of money. I had H&Rs but took them off a couple weeks ago and sold them because they didnt go low enough for me. compared to stock height the H&Rs had a great drop and rode better than stock. Konis go a bit lower that H&Rs i believe.

food for thought.

Tadddd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI 2-Door
look at ksports or B&Gs if you have that kind of money. I had H&Rs but took them off a couple weeks ago and sold them because they didnt go low enough for me. compared to stock height the H&Rs had a great drop and rode better than stock. Konis go a bit lower that H&Rs i believe.

food for thought.

How do they Koni's and Ksports compare?